lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Hopefully NJ is considered close enough to NY for them.......
Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
True, though someone who pre-ordered last week may get to go to an event because they live close while someone who ordered a few years ago may be waiting awhile.
I definitely get the manage event size aspect, but it doesn't feel like "fair access" to early pre-order holders.
Then again, nothing will satisfy everyone.
Earlier announcement said LE holders would get first priority and they will invite/book drives accordingly. They are well aware that many LE customers will not pull the trigger before a test drive and/or seeing the color options in person.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
The email also states ā€œInvitations are based on where you live and your proximity to our event sites.ā€
I wonder how many miles away they consider proximity to event site? Iā€™m 320 miles from the Seattle Service Center.
Doesn't look like that will matter, as Seattle is not on the list anymore.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I'm disappointed about Seattle not being on the list, but as long as those who are lucky enough to attend bring back photos, videos and impressions, I will be a happy camper.

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
Very odd that Seattle got the most initial Guide outreach IIRC and now isn't on the initial tour list!

Sponsored

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Detroit was also on the original list along with Seattle, and both are absent (along with Normal replacing Chicago). I haven't heard any mention of guide contacts around here. I don't even know if they are building a local service center because all their job postings including service related positions seem tied to their Plymouth office.

BWillR1T

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander, Audi Q7
Occupation
Construction Executive
Clubs

Since each of the 4 locations have different population densities, I donā€™t think a standard mile radius applies for this. LA and NY are very dense, SF is middle of the road, and Normal doesnā€™t have anything large until you get to Chicago about 120 miles away. Letā€™s hope they just keep chipping away at the list with LE holders taking priority.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I'm disappointed about Seattle not being on the list, but as long as those who are lucky enough to attend bring back photos, videos and impressions, I will be a happy camper.
Not all the cities can be "first".
I think the other cities on the initial list will be the second wave. They also stated more cities would be added later.
Hoping Portland either gets Seattle invites or their own event.

ajbrutman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, GTI
Clubs

Sure hope that San Diego falls within the "close proximity" of Los Angeles. Its around 120 miles between city centers. My poor luck is they'll draw the line at 100 miles
Iā€™m worried about being 50 miles away from LA

R1S Maineiac

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Volvo CX90 Recharge PHEV
Occupation
Medically retired 8/27/21
I am 358 miles from the Brooklyn Service Center and 148 miles from the not-yet-opened Chelsea(Boston), MA service center.

My guess is that I won't be hearing from Rivian directly for a while.....and that's OK.

After my experience with...the other EV company...I'm hesitant to get a vehicle that needs to go that far to be serviced.

Yes....I know....Mobile Service. However, my X died because an SD card that (for some unknown/illogical reason) goes BEHIND THE DAMN SCREEN instead of somewhere accessible like the glovebox. So, waited 5 hours for a flatbed, and then they took the car 150 miles away to MA, and replaced my $15 SD Card. Then I had to make the 5 hour roundtrip to pick it up.

So that falls somewhere in between design flaw and service model, and I'm still not over it.

Sponsored

NooterIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
was a 2019 Ram
Occupation
IT Stuff
I live in the KC area so hopefully, Iā€™ll be invited to Normal, otherwise, Iā€™m SOL because NY is about the same distance as CA is for me lol
I'm in Des Moines so only about 4.5 hours away (~300 miles) from Normal, probably close to the same from KC. I sure hope we get invited since we're relatively close. Can't wait!

fromSf

First Name
m
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H, 2023 Genesis GV60
I live in San Francisco, so will be awfully disappointed if I don't get an invite to the event here!
Same here, I live in bay area (Fremont). Will be super disappointed if I don't get an invite.

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

On a different tack, I think we can now predict which cities see deliveries first! Sorry Seattle.

I'm most interested in seeing how quickly they move city to city. Are they only going to be doing 4 cities at a time? How long are they going to be in each set of cities? Might be a loooong time before some of our users get a chance to test drive a R1T (let alone a R1S) depending on the answers to these questions.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Can't wait for that off roading event in...Queens? Brooklyn?

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
I'm in Des Moines so only about 4.5 hours away (~300 miles) from Normal, probably close to the same from KC. I sure hope we get invited since we're relatively close. Can't wait!
Fellow Iowan! Yay!

Although I'm figuring the opposite; that with Chicago, St. Louis, and even Indianapolis closer to Normal than us, that we're likely going to be outside whatever selection area they decide to go with.
Sponsored