trmaier

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro Hybrid, R1T El Cap, BM
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S First major issue with R1T after 9 months and 21K miles PXL_20230523_230230487.MP
It was a sad day for me to see my R1T being hauled away on a flatbed to the SC in Minneapolis. Over the past week, I had been experiencing many warnings involving the hydraulic suspension, including the ominous "service suspension soon" and ride height can not be changed warnings. Although they were cleared by having the vehicle go to sleep cycle, they invariably came back, and neither were cleared either by a soft or hard reset. Additionally, I received warnings for Driver+ malfunctions, including forward collision warning faults, rear cross traffic warning faults, and adaptive cruise control not available. Don't know how these might be related (I am not sure they are), but all seemed to happen in quick succession. Then, to top it all off, and to ensure a trip to the SC, got the dreaded Turtle Mode (weirdly capped at 51 mph). Rivian support checked the vehicle logs and determined it was not something Remote Service could handle and set me up with an appointment to the Service Center. Our closest ones are Olathe, KS and Minneapolis, MN. Being equidistant between the two (~3 hrs), took the first availability. I did learn throughout the process that I can long press on my driver profile icon to set a diagnosic log capture to my vehicle event log, which I did as messages popped up on my screens. Handy. It just arrived at the SC last night, will update as I find out details, but was curious if anyone else had anything similar happen?

Rivian R1T R1S First major issue with R1T after 9 months and 21K miles PXL_20230517_232725729.MP

Rivian R1T R1S First major issue with R1T after 9 months and 21K miles PXL_20230517_171602849.MP
Sponsored

RivAW

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Glacier White, Black Mountain, Black AT 20s,
I had this same exact thing happen but only about 2 weeks in. I captured the vehicle diagnostics and CS was very helpful.
It turned out to be something to do with the windshield wiper assembly severing a wire harness that caused all the alerts etc.
Wire harness replaced, and wiper arm assembly repaired. It took the SC a day to handle it and no problems since.
I hope this is helpful and it turns out to be the same easy fix for you…

OP
OP
trmaier

trmaier

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I had this same exact thing happen but only about 2 weeks in. I captured the vehicle diagnostics and CS was very helpful.
It turned out to be something to do with the windshield wiper assembly severing a wire harness that caused all the alerts etc.
Wire harness replaced, and wiper arm assembly repaired. It took the SC a day to handle it and no problems since.
That's very weird! I can only hope it turns out to be that simple! Did you have the same exact warnings? suspension and driver+ sensors? Thanks for the info!

RivAW

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Glacier White, Black Mountain, Black AT 20s,
Yes. It started with “air suspension needs service” warnings and progressed to all the proximity sensors etc. At the point, the truck wouldn’t let me use cruise or highway assist. Hard resets would clear the issues for varying amounts of time, but they would come back.

OP
OP
trmaier

trmaier

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Yes. It started with “air suspension needs service” warnings and progressed to all the proximity sensors etc. At the point, the truck wouldn’t let me use cruise or highway assist. Hard resets would clear the issues for varying amounts of time, but they would come back.
Huh, almost exactly what I experienced! Was yours diagnosed as "Improperly routed cowl harness?" I found that in another thread once you mentioned the windshield wiper...

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...-windshield-wiper-mechanism.7280/#post-188706

Sounds like a potentially easy, although odd, fix! Fingers crossed... Thanks again!

Sponsored

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Not very surprising these days when anything that shorts the CAN bus wipes out so much stuff.

My Sprinter Van got hit while parked and damaged the bumper and tail lights. The damage wasn't all that much, but I couldn't start the vehicle. I realized the blind spot monitoring sensor was in the tail lights and the CAN bus wires got shorted. Once I removed the short the vehicle started right up.

Fes

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Business Owner
Having owned multiple Land Rovers with air suspensions I can say it's a bittersweet component to have equipped. I think it's going to be a sore spot for many Rivian owners new to the feature. They are historically always delicate instruments and very sensitive. This is a bit of a general comment but I can honestly say of the four LR's I've owned, I've had issues at one time or another with all of them in some compact associated to the air suspension.

Florida Boy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX300h, Toyota Tacoma
Perhaps not exactly the same issue, but after the 2023.24.0 SW update, my truck threw warnings about front sensors and front camera not available and Driver+, collision avoidance and auto high beams disabled. I thought this must be related to a wiring harness, but didn’t see how the SW update played in. I have an appointment in San Jose for July, the long delay due to my being away for a month.

E Parx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I had something similar happen 2 days ago and I go in for service in a few hours. 3 of the 4 warnings were the same for me, I just didn't get that red piston (compressor?) one.

The truck went from struggling to maintain regular height to now all the way below lowest setting. Yikes. I had to work 12 hours yesterday or else SC would have gotten me in next day which is fantastic. No turtle mode yet but felt like driving a 7000lb go kart when I came home last night.

My R1T has 16k miles and is a little over a year old. Luckily I swapped to the 21s 2 weeks ago from the 20" ATs or else I'd have been rubbing and probably would have needed a tow.

Mine is definitely a leak somewhere though as I hear it try to bring the truck back up every time I enter until I then hear a pop of air being released.

I had a very slow leak develop a month or two ago that I noticed after being gone twice for week-long trips. I would return and the front would be crouched but would come right back up. It was intermittent and difficult to replicate. They replaced an inner strut and everything seemed to be back in order until now. I'll report back on what they find.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Don't lose hope. Our gx470 has air suspension and has towed and traversed lots of bad roads and rock crawling trails with no issues. Big rig HDTs run millions of miles on air suspension.

Sponsored

RedRaiderRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T - Canyon Red
I had a somewhat similar situation with many different error warnings over several weeks. I could reset the truck and the warnings would go away, initially for a week but then it worsened to where I was resetting my truck every time I drove. I took my truck in for service and both 12v batteries were replaced and the firmware was updated. 6 weeks after the fix, my truck is working great and the vampire drain is down to about 1% per day.

OP
OP
trmaier

trmaier

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I had something similar happen 2 days ago and I go in for service in a few hours. 3 of the 4 warnings were the same for me, I just didn't get that red piston (compressor?) one.

The truck went from struggling to maintain regular height to now all the way below lowest setting. Yikes. I had to work 12 hours yesterday or else SC would have gotten me in next day which is fantastic. No turtle mode yet but felt like driving a 7000lb go kart when I came home last night.

My R1T has 16k miles and is a little over a year old. Luckily I swapped to the 21s 2 weeks ago from the 20" ATs or else I'd have been rubbing and probably would have needed a tow.

Mine is definitely a leak somewhere though as I hear it try to bring the truck back up every time I enter until I then hear a pop of air being released.

I had a very slow leak develop a month or two ago that I noticed after being gone twice for week-long trips. I would return and the front would be crouched but would come right back up. It was intermittent and difficult to replicate. They replaced an inner strut and everything seemed to be back in order until now. I'll report back on what they find.
Mine would be able to adjust height and maintain after clearing the warnings with a hard reset or letting the vehicle go to sleep. Never heard any leaks or pops of air being released. Would be interested to hear what they find on yours!

OP
OP
trmaier

trmaier

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I had a somewhat similar situation with many different error warnings over several weeks. I could reset the truck and the warnings would go away, initially for a week but then it worsened to where I was resetting my truck every time I drove. I took my truck in for service and both 12v batteries were replaced and the firmware was updated. 6 weeks after the fix, my truck is working great and the vampire drain is down to about 1% per day.
I've read about the 12V batteries causing all sorts of weirdness. Did your truck ever go into turtle mode because of the 12V issues?

RedRaiderRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T - Canyon Red
I've read about the 12V batteries causing all sorts of weirdness. Did your truck ever go into turtle mode because of the 12V issues?
My truck was going into turtle mode about a 1/3 of the time I drove. It was annoying to have to reset the truck every time I drove.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

The only issue we have had is we get the "headlight system not working" message. Then my wife was saying yesterday that the Frunk wouldn't open. We have an appointment on Tuesday with the SC. Hopefully, they can diagnose it quickly. We have only had the R1T since May 3rd and one of the weeks since it was getting a PPF.

Hopefully your resolution to the issues are minor and quick.
Sponsored