First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

I spoke with Zulf at the Austin event and he stated that the electrochromic roofs in these trucks are different from the production version. The production version will get much darker instead of the blueish tint they have now.
Sponsored

Last edited:

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I spoke with Zulf at the Austin event and he stated that the electrochromic roofs in these trucks are different from the production version. The production version will get much darker instead of the blueish tint they have now.
That is probably the tweak they were suggesting at the Mill Valley event.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Glad to hear they have been able to use the electrochromic glass for certain. Maybe Lucid will be able to get it into production from the start, although that's a full glass canopy back to the B-pillar roof bar.

Dr. Byrd

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2001 Mustang GT convertible
Occupation
Professor, consultant, farmer
Also note that in the OP video, as the roof gets darker, the camera is attempting to maintain the overall exposure of the scene. Depending on if it’s a phone camera or something else, it is opening up the aperture or otherwise brightening the image (i.e., computational photography). You can tell this is happening by looking at the sky and trees steadily get brighter in the side windows and then revert back to normal when the roof goes clear at the end. The effect on the roof itself is to make it appear less dark as the camera tries to brighten the overall scene. As mentioned above, this is probably just a prototype and the production version may be less blue and darker, but I thought it worth mentioning that even this one would probably appear darker in person.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don't know that any of these electrochromic glass panels go completely dark. They didn't in the office in which I used to work. In the Boeing Dreamliner, which is newer technology, the sun can still be seen through a fully-dimmed window, although it's just a dim spot of light. The photos I've seen also suggest it's the same thing with the M-B "Sky Magic" roof window.

The highest spec I've been able to find is from a manufacturer that claims 99.5% light blockage. That is certainly enough to keep annoying light out of a vehicle cabin, but strong light sources would still be visible to some extent.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
The highest spec I've been able to find is from a manufacturer that claims 99.5% light blockage. That is certainly enough to keep annoying light out of a vehicle cabin, but strong light sources would still be visible to some extent.
That's may seem like a lot but our perception of light is logarithmic. Attenuation of all but .005% of visible light corresponds to A = 2.3 (23 dB) which is 7.64 stops (closing a lens from f/1.4 to f/22 reduces the light by 8 stops).

tscanjr

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Tech Sales
Maybe another stupid question, but won't there be an interior fabric liner to cover the glass from the inside to block light and heat? Like in most other SUVs, so you can prevent some of the high heat and direct sun exposure?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Maybe another stupid question, but won't there be an interior fabric liner to cover the glass from the inside to block light and heat? Like in most other SUVs, so you can prevent some of the high heat and direct sun exposure?
I too hope for this, but haven't heard any plans about having one. Hopefully we'll see details soon about production spec vehicles rolling off the pilot line(s) and learn details on final features.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
If Rivian doesn't supply one some third party house very probably will.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
If Rivian doesn't supply one some third party house very probably will.
Aftermarket wouldn't be as appealing, as the mounting/storage would not be integrated. I love the electrochromic glass, but may go with a fixed roof option due to the TX summer heat.

Sponsored

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Electrochromic glass is very expensive. I thought the purpose of using it was to dim the cabin sufficiently not to need another method to block light. Accommodating a sliding panel into a roof creates the potential for rattles and squeaks, and adds some manufacturing complexity and therefore cost. It also significantly reduces the amount of the roof that can be glassed, unless some kind of roller shade is used instead of a solid panel, adding even more complexity and risk of noise.

Last edited:

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
A question nagging at me during the discussion of electrochromatic roofs is roof racks. How will the ability to mount stuff on the roof affect electrochromatic-ness? Presumably for the standard Rivian clip-on racks, not at all.

If you want a more substantial way to store stuff on the roof, like a basket rack for overlanding, there might be a problem, however. For more serious roof racking, I'm thinking the all-metal roof is the way to go. Does this make sense?

Surferdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Can anyone confirm if we can choose a standard steel insulated roof? The last thing I want on my truck is a large piece of glass over my head.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Can anyone confirm if we can choose a standard steel insulated roof? The last thing I want on my truck is a large piece of glass over my head.
Rivian has said a solid roof would be an option... but my guess is aluminum since that's what the body is made of.... We've also seen a few pictures of vehicle builds in progress with solid roofs however, it wasn't clear if those were just mules....

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
While a non-glass roof will be offered, it is possible if not probable that the electrochromic option will get prioritized for early deliveries.

I'd be in for the electrochromic roof if it rejects heat as well as the tinted moon roof on my Volvo with the perforated sun shade closed. That still allows a little light to pass without turning the interior into a furnace in the Texas sun and heat. If the AC can keep things nice and chill inside without massively draining the battery on a 105-110 degree afternoon then all will be good. But if the AC is going to struggle to keep up, then I'd much prefer the metal roof.
Sponsored