First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
It might be better not to open a post with a categorical statement that "all glass blocks IR transmission" when, in fact, glass only blocks part of the IR spectrum.
Rather than discuss the individual remarks I'm just going to post a diagram which shows the distribution of black body radiation at two temperatures: the correlated color temperature of sunlight and of the human body

Rivian R1T R1S First look at Rivian Electrochromic Roof in action PlanckDist

This way you can define the bands anyway you like in order to support any conclusions you wish to or already have drawn. Obviously glass transmits in the visible, the near UV and the NIR better than it does in the UV and true IR. That's why we can use glass for our instruments in the near UV, Vis and NIR region but must go to quartz in the UV and Selenium (etc) for the IR.

I'm also including an IR photograph of my wife taken with an IR camera that might lend some insight but is, in any case, a pretty cool picture:

Rivian R1T R1S First look at Rivian Electrochromic Roof in action IRPhoto

The white + is right in the middle of my wife's forehead. The reason you can't see her is that she is standing on the other side of a glass door. Her IR radiation is blocked by the glass. The handsome fellow at the right of the picture is, of course, me or rather my IR image as reflected from the glass. The chandelier behind me had been off for several minutes when the picture was taken.
Sponsored