ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Actually a 2022 preorder might be FAR more profitable for Rivian if the reservation was made after the price increase. so they may care…just not in the way you think.😉
A post 3/1 preorder may also be more inclined to accept differences in their configuration in order to not wait a couple years. People that have already been waiting for 3 years may want to continue for exactly what they want (or a bare minimum of what they want). Post 3/1 orders also don't have a so called "fixed price", so further incentive to take what is available (although at any time Rivian can charge their mind on pre 3/1 orders)

I am "only" a Sep 21 preorder, but I want 20's, underbody shield, and lately have been more inclined to wait for a max pack, I am in no rush, and "waiting" for a max pack gives Rivian time to improve software, hopefully further improve construction/build issues, and hopefully improve post delivery maintenance/service (although that can be hard as deliveries increase). I know there are many out there with no issues, others out there with acceptable issues, and probably a minor amount of severe issues.
Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

A post 3/1 preorder may also be more inclined to accept differences in their configuration in order to not wait a couple years. People that have already been waiting for 3 years may want to continue for exactly what they want (or a bare minimum of what they want). Post 3/1 orders also don't have a so called "fixed price", so further incentive to take what is available (although at any time Rivian can charge their mind on pre 3/1 orders)

I am "only" a Sep 21 preorder, but I want 20's, underbody shield, and lately have been more inclined to wait for a max pack, I am in no rush, and "waiting" for a max pack gives Rivian time to improve software, hopefully further improve construction/build issues, and hopefully improve post delivery maintenance/service (although that can be hard as deliveries increase). I know there are many out there with no issues, others out there with acceptable issues, and probably a minor amount of severe issues.
Because of your patience and conviction...you're what Rivian calls a problem customer

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

This is how I felt until my First Mile drive yesterday. The thought of waiting at least another year and a half for delivery so I can get a Max Pack and the other options you mentioned doesn't sound so great right now compared to a delivery this year if I take 21's and the large pack. I wish we had more details about charge speed on the upcoming Max Pack (my main concern) and more confidence they'll actually hit my 2H2023 target. First world problem, I know.

shumdit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 and counting….
Clubs

While this is true, selling the pre-price hike units in the future when the component costs will be even higher will kill their margins so it probably makes more sense to fulfill all the pre-March 2022 orders first…
Not if those pre price orders cancel….😉

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
This is how I felt until my First Mile drive yesterday. The thought of waiting at least another year and a half for delivery so I can get a Max Pack and the other options you mentioned doesn't sound so great right now compared to a delivery this year if I take 21's and the large pack. I wish we had more details about charge speed on the upcoming Max Pack (my main concern) and more confidence they'll actually hit my 2H2023 target. First world problem, I know.
My opinion: buy now and if max really is that great, sell/trade and buy max. If max isn’t worth it, then you’ve already got the “right” truck, for less $$, and a year+ earlier.

At least, that’s my thought process.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I haven't had the chance to do any test drives, and have only seen a couple on the roads. I will ignore your comment and believe ignorance is bliss.

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

My opinion: buy now and if max really is that great, sell/trade and buy max. If max isn’t worth it, then you’ve already got the “right” truck, for less $$, and a year+ earlier.

Where I live, you're looking at about $10k for tax and registration on a Max Pack at current MSRP. Buying a R1T now and paying all the fees just to turn around and sell it in two years to pay another $10k in fees would sour the whole experience for me. In California, you can't deduct the value of your trade from the overall transaction to lower the tax you owe. I want one but not badly enough to pay $20k in taxes over the course of a couple of years. I tend to keep my cars for a long time which is one of the reasons I want a Max Pack. The large pack would be fine for me now but two of the things I've learned from owning BEVs over the years is that you can never have enough range and you have less every year. That said, if I knew today for certain that the Max Pack won't charge any faster than the Large Pack, I'd switch. 220kW max speed with the current charge curve isn't fast enough for a 180KW pack, at least for me.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager

Please remember you are posting to a Rivian forum. Critical thinking does not always work here.

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

First underbody I've seen in the last 3 weeks!! Someone must have backed out. I love Limestone, but dont love the FE interior and really wanted 20s.

Rivian R1T R1S First look at @ “Introducing the R1 Shop” -- Rivian website to shop for R1T that delivers in 6-8 weeks Screenshot_20220725-131349_Chrome

Sponsored

Gavinmcc

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T!
Occupation
Medical
strange that the reinforced off road bottom has 22 inch road tires.

I'll take that other limestone please (though yes, I would prefer 20AT tires)

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
First underbody I've seen in the last 3 weeks!! Someone must have backed out. I love Limestone, but dont love the FE interior and really wanted 20s.

Screenshot_20220725-131349_Chrome.jpg
Well crap. I would have taken that GW with dark 22” instead of the GW with 21” that I’m supposed to be getting delivered Wednesday. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

Well crap. I would have taken that GW with dark 22” instead of the GW with 21” that I’m supposed to be getting delivered Wednesday. 🤦🏻‍♂️
This is exactly my fear with the Shop. I know I'll have buyer's remorse if I pick something from it.

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
This is exactly my fear with the Shop. I know I'll have buyer's remorse if I pick something from it.
Understandable. I had changed my config from 22” brights to 21” wheels and got a guide 2 days later….with delivery scheduled for 2 weeks after I changed my config to 21”. I wanted the 22” wheels but actually don’t mind the 21” wheels with them powder coated black and no aero covers installed…..so that’s the plan and I’ll look for used OEM/aftermarket options later if I still feel the need. Everything else I got was exactly what I wanted, so I figure wheels can easily be changed later.

eemri

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60 Polestar Engineered
Clubs

Understandable. I had changed my config from 22” brights to 21” wheels and got a guide 2 days later….with delivery scheduled for 2 weeks after I changed my config to 21”. I wanted the 22” wheels but actually don’t mind the 21” wheels with them powder coated black and no aero covers installed…..so that’s the plan and I’ll look for used OEM/aftermarket options later if I still feel the need. Everything else I got was exactly what I wanted, so I figure wheels can easily be changed later.
I took the same approach (changing wheels to 21" as well as changing my interior color) in the hopes of being assigned a guide and the option to shop the shop earlier. Glad to hear it worked for you, especially since you're only about a month ahead of me from a reservation perspective. Who knows what other mysterious attributes are considered for the Rivian lottery.
Sponsored