Sponsored

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
They are giving others the opportunity to reassess their wants. Why are we not included?

Brian
Keep in mind this is Rivian so whatever their decision making criteria my bet is simple and straightforward are not the primary concerns. You can update your configuration at any point to an Adventure trim. Rivian has already said Explore is last trim to be built. Unless it’s a quarter or year end and they’re trying to sell every vehicle, there are already thousands of Adventure orders ready to go. They can find a home for every vehicle made, even if it means selling to someone with a post price hike reservation before looking to have folks upgrade to Adventure. Especially considering it’s in their financial interest if they pick someone at the higher price. Not saying it’s right or would actually happen this way.
Sponsored

ORFynder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Rosie" the RIVN, Rav4 Prime
Occupation
Optimistic Advocate
I guess I don't understand the buying process. I thought that you locked your config and signed the "intent to purchase" (sorry, forgot the term I kept hearing) before it entered production. It sounds like signing that doc means you are 6-8 weeks out, which seems like an appropriate time to build & ship a vehicle. I am really surprised that they would assign you a specific vehicle if you haven't locked your config.
I hope most of these vehicles are not related to troubles, but it feels strange that so many people would have unexpected issues at the 11th hour considering the tone of these forums.
When I had my guide call to lock my config, i had my guide change the interior to FE prior to him locking. Later that night i got the 8 steps email but when I reviewed the specs with my guide the next day, he identified the vehicle they matched me to had BM in my 8 steps so they released it from me. I am thinking when u get the email to lock the config, they have identified a vehicle for you or you will be in production. As for my case, the system didn't realize my change when I got the 8 step email

Last edited:
OP
OP
M00v0vr

M00v0vr

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T MY
Occupation
entrepreneur/ski race coach
I don't know if anybody has posted it, but my understanding is the shop is based on your ZIP code and I do believe it's probably folks that have bailed on their order. I also think that they are building them and sending them out and they're trying to fill up trucks coming out to your area with stuff that's being built at the plant.

I think it's their way of throwing a bone to those who have stuck around as a pre-order.

As to the person looking for the explorer with a November 2018 pre-order date like me, you need to reach out to a guide and change to the adventure.

I don't have the truck yet, but if folks aren't looking at inflation and other considerations, it's likely at some point your pre-order will turn into a dual motor product in order to keep the same price unless you commit to spending a couple thousand dollars more today to get a different configuration.

All I can say is I jumped on one on the second day and then the link no longer worked, when I clicked on it it would 404 me. But I'm telling you there was a ton of green trucks. I have no clue why. And it wasn't a launch edition green. I'm sure the green is pretty. But I do think that's why I'm convinced the shop is matching production. Looks like they had a bunch of green trucks built...
Yes, there where a bunch of Forest Green trucks when I was shopping also, however there were never more than 16 total at any time. As I put in my review once you pull the trigger and commit to the config you no longer have access to the "Shop" and get a 404 error on the web page, ie your link is no longer valid.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Per my guide and the info from the shareholders meeting, the reason for the "Shop" is people backing out of their orders after they have confirmed them and they went into production. This forum is only a small portion of res holders and probably does not do a fair representation of total orders. My particular VIN 5XXX was just received at the location the week before last, and the buyer backed out at the last minute. I know that seems strange to us who know the market for theses trucks.
I wouldn't be surprised if there's a not-insignificant number of people who "want" a Rivian for themselves or to flip, but just can't make the financing work.

OP
OP
M00v0vr

M00v0vr

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T MY
Occupation
entrepreneur/ski race coach
I wouldn't be surprised if there's a not-insignificant number of people who "want" a Rivian for themselves or to flip, but just can't make the financing work.
I think you are correct, the cost of borrowing has gone up significancy and people are backing out of their purchase.

Sponsored

Geocvl

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, Mini Cooper S
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

They are giving others the opportunity to reassess their wants. Why are we not included?

Brian
Reach out to customer service and tell them you want to change and see if you can get access to the shop.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I'm really intrigued how Rivian will hand out Shop invites. Will the next round go to folks with August-September windows? October-November? Later? If the shop is delivery in 6-8 weeks and my delivery window is 6-12 weeks from now, why would I go for some suboptimal config to get the truck in basically the same amount of time? This process has turned me into a kid in the weeks leading up to Christmas -- anticipation/anxiety levels waayyyyy higher than they should be. I'm not locked in too firmly on my config so I could see myself jumping on a store option for not a ton of delivery improvement but the right thing would still need to be available. If they give me a Shop option in October for my Dec-Jan window I doubt I take it unless there's something super close.
also curious about how it works now with Guides. will you get a guide before you get access to the shop? vice-versa? does the PBA happen before the shop? vice-versa?

i suspect timing/access to the Shop is going to be somewhat random because it depends on who and how many in front of you drop out of line.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

hmmm, but if youre buying simply to flip, why couldn't you make the financing work? are you saying the banks wouldnt go through with the loan because the higher interest rates disqualified certain people?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
hmmm, but if youre buying simply to flip, why couldn't you make the financing work? are you saying the banks wouldnt go through with the loan because the higher interest rates disqualified certain people?
That is one possibility. I'm sure there is a group of people who can't finance -- either because the bank won't approve, or because they don't want to personally accept the risk. That may be because they were already at the top of their affordability and the interest rate pushed them over. It may also be because someone "flipping" a vehicle would need to keep their existing vehicle(s) and if they already have loans outstanding they may not have sufficient DTI to cover the Rivian loan from delivery until flip -- even if they could qualify if they were replacing one of their vehicles.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Per my guide and the info from the shareholders meeting, the reason for the "Shop" is people backing out of their orders after they have confirmed them and they went into production. This forum is only a small portion of res holders and probably does not do a fair representation of total orders. My particular VIN 5XXX was just received at the location the week before last, and the buyer backed out at the last minute. I know that seems strange to us who know the market for theses trucks.
The shop is likely to be self-perpetuating. For each order that gets switched to an already built configuration, there is still the original order somewhere in the production queue. I doubt these get cancelled as the customers back out, so instead they become future vehicles available to be matched to a new owner. It would also explain people who are getting delivery windows months into the future who already have deliveries scheduled. The delivery windows would be based on where they are in the custom production queue, not with being matched to existing trucks.

Sponsored

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Hope it's true that October 2019 is considered an earlier pre-order, as I am waiting to get any reliable info on my March 2019 R1S LE.
Was gonna say, October 2019 is not really early...

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Was gonna say, October 2019 is not really early...
It's in the first 20% of preorders. That's pretty early.

Estimates are that they had ~19,000 at the end of 2019, ~30,000 by May 2020, 48,390 at IPO filing in October 2021, and "over 90,000" as of end of Q1 this year. (With over 10,000 *after* the March price increase.)

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I'm really intrigued how Rivian will hand out Shop invites. Will the next round go to folks with August-September windows? October-November? Later? If the shop is delivery in 6-8 weeks and my delivery window is 6-12 weeks from now, why would I go for some suboptimal config to get the truck in basically the same amount of time? This process has turned me into a kid in the weeks leading up to Christmas -- anticipation/anxiety levels waayyyyy higher than they should be. I'm not locked in too firmly on my config so I could see myself jumping on a store option for not a ton of delivery improvement but the right thing would still need to be available. If they give me a Shop option in October for my Dec-Jan window I doubt I take it unless there's something super close.
It's a lottery....question is...are you feeling lucky?

Reactions: Rad

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Not many have an earlier reservation date than we do. Ours is November 28, 2018. We have not received any email regarding the R1 Shop. I guess that a very early order date is not a factor.

Brian
U will.....it's coming. Make sure u have a plan on possible choices.....apparently you have to move quickly

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Last edited: