First time EV owner here. Took delivery of R1T at factory and my first drive was a 500 mile trip home from Normal. I’ve read about every post on this forum over the last 18 months and watched countless R1T YouTube videos, so I was familiar with the R1T but had never driven EV other than 20 min First Mile test drive. First impressions:
- I didnt just have range anxiety - I had charging anxiety since I had never even operated an EV charger. This turned out to be very easy. I setup EA and ChargePoint accounts in advance. All of the chargers I stopped at were available and in working order. The EA chargers (Walmart) pushed 150kW and were “complimentary”. Does this happen a lot? Can you search for complimentary charging stations in the app?
- The ChargePoint was slower at about 80kW and the owner charged a $0.20/min surcharge but didn’t have many choices at that point.
- At the end of the 500 mile trip, I was only out of pocket about $20 for fuel.
- The Rivian navigation software worked flawlessly for me. After reading complaints, I was prepared to use phone apps but really didn’t need to. The mapping was accurate and it tried to route me around two traffic jams but I was too stubborn to follow the directions.
- I couldn’t figure out how to enter intermediate waypoints?
- it gave me time and distance to next charging stop but not to final destination. Is this a setting I’m missing?
- The adaptive cruise control engages the vehicle in front way earlier than I thought it should. Is this distance adjustable? It would be nice if it gave you a subtle warning and time to change lanes before it auto adjusts your speed.
- i never got comfortable with Driver Assist…played with it some but it seemed to add stress - especially in traffic - rather than make it easier.
- The acceleration is unbelievable! Makes on-ramp merging, lane changing, and passing very easy
- Make sure you have a USB-C iPhone charging cord. I missed this little detail and quickly found nowhere to plug my antiquated USB charging cord. Had to make a stop on trip and upgrade my phone charging cord.