Sponsored

tylerdurden03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Jeep GC Trailhawk, Tesla Model 3
Clubs

Nice Setup. Your Rakattach swing away bike rack mount was precisely what I was going to suggest to the OP and others considering the +/- of mounting bikes over the RTT. Seems way easier to manage and you still get 100% use of the tailgate in the down position as previously mentioned/desired. I have had the Rakattach for a few years now and love it! Cheers!
Do you have the Medium Rakattach?
Sponsored

Beachy RiRi

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Mortgage Broker
Do you have the Medium Rakattach?
Hey Tyler,
Apologies for the delayed response. I have the large size RakAttach. I purchased it originally for our Wrangler JLU and when I spoke with 1UP, they suggested that size for the jeep. It fits nicely on the Rivian, so I'd suggest this size. I will point out, I have the Gen 1 RA, and they have a Gen 2 out now. I'd still imagine you'd want a size large, but if you want to double check with 1 UP, give them a shout.
Cheers!

Churrodecoco

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi eTron
Occupation
IT Manager
Clubs

Nice Setup. Your Rakattach swing away bike rack mount was precisely what I was going to suggest to the OP and others considering the +/- of mounting bikes over the RTT. Seems way easier to manage and you still get 100% use of the tailgate in the down position as previously mentioned/desired. I have had the Rakattach for a few years now and love it! Cheers!
How’s securing the bike overnight on these?

Beachy RiRi

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Mortgage Broker
How’s securing the bike overnight on these?

Hey Churrodecoco,
Securing all of this is pretty easy. The Rackattach is secured with a threaded through bolt, that has a lock on the opposing end. The 1 UP, as you know tightens with their unique allen head bolt, and then I run the 1UP lock for that port, through the hole, so nobody can easily steal the 1 UP bike rack.

As far as the bikes and locking them, you can do this however you prefer. Many ways to do it. Me, if I have the high $$ bikes on it, I have the 1 UP wheel locks that you run through a hole on the rack and it locks through the rim of the bike. I then also use like a 6' long cable lock and run that through everything (frames/wheels) and then use a high quality keyed dead bolt lock and secure the cable lock to the hitch receiver of the truck/vehicle. I run the entire setup on our Wrangler as well, when we're out for long trips. Can't beat the simplicity of having a swing away/out attachment to move the bikes out to have access to the tailgate to gain access, then just swing it back and secure. Very slick!

Sponsored

Churrodecoco

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi eTron
Occupation
IT Manager
Clubs

Hey Churrodecoco,
Securing all of this is pretty easy. The Rackattach is secured with a threaded through bolt, that has a lock on the opposing end. The 1 UP, as you know tightens with their unique allen head bolt, and then I run the 1UP lock for that port, through the hole, so nobody can easily steal the 1 UP bike rack.

As far as the bikes and locking them, you can do this however you prefer. Many ways to do it. Me, if I have the high $$ bikes on it, I have the 1 UP wheel locks that you run through a hole on the rack and it locks through the rim of the bike. I then also use like a 6' long cable lock and run that through everything (frames/wheels) and then use a high quality keyed dead bolt lock and secure the cable lock to the hitch receiver of the truck/vehicle. I run the entire setup on our Wrangler as well, when we're out for long trips. Can't beat the simplicity of having a swing away/out attachment to move the bikes out to have access to the tailgate to gain access, then just swing it back and secure. Very slick!
Thank you for such a thorough response.

freakinrican

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T LE
Occupation
Software
Our efficiency was about 1.8-2.2 miles / kWh. When driving 75mph it's closer to 1.8 mi/kWh, but on country roads cruising around 65mph it climbs to about 2.2 miles/kWh.

Definitely take a hit with a couple of bikes sticking above the roof line. Without the bikes, I've seen almost no hit to efficiency with just the RTT.

@md2023 We have the iKamper X-cover 2.0 Mini with 1-up Bike Racks. The tent was great. Very easy to setup and take down. Very comfortable and it's made of thick canvas (not cheap nylon) which is much more durable and allows you to completely blackout the tent if you are trying to sleep in. Takes a couple of minutes for setup. It also works really well with the truck self leveling.

Having the bike racks attached makes it a bit more difficult. You obviously need to remove the bikes first. You also need check the clearance between the rack and the side of the truck bed. I didn't the first time and the rack contacted my truck and put a small dent on the side. I like having the bikes over the tent instead of the roof (harder to reach) or on a trailer hitch. We enjoyed using the tailgate as a table for cooking, so a hitch rack would have been in the way. However you are limited to two bikes with this setup. The crossbars on the iKamper are not very big.

This is almost the exact setup I have with a couple suboptimal bike racks mounted to the top of the x-cover mini. I'm looking at leveling up to a couple 1up roof racks. It's tough to tell from your pictures, but did you mount your 1up racks with the "flush mount" option?

Rivian R1T R1S First Camping Trip in the R1T and our iKamper RTT (and first time using RAN) Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 11.01.48 AM

OP
OP
manitou202

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
This is almost the exact setup I have with a couple suboptimal bike racks mounted to the top of the x-cover mini. I'm looking at leveling up to a couple 1up roof racks. It's tough to tell from your pictures, but did you mount your 1up racks with the "flush mount" option?

Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 11.01.48 AM.png
Yes, I used the flush mount option.

freakinrican

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T LE
Occupation
Software
Yes, I used the flush mount option.
My roof rack just arrived but the tee nuts don’t seem to fit in the channel of the xcover mini. Was it plug and play with the hardware 1up sent you? I wasn’t able to find any suitable replacements at ACE so any advice on how you made this work? Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
manitou202

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
My roof rack just arrived but the tee nuts don’t seem to fit in the channel of the xcover mini. Was it plug and play with the hardware 1up sent you? I wasn’t able to find any suitable replacements at ACE so any advice on how you made this work? Thanks in advance.
I had to grind the tee nuts down slightly. They were a really tight fit initially.