First Name
Demetrius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1t
Occupation
Director
Man that sucks. The same exact thing happened to me. They ended up performing a completely battery replacement.
Oh man. Really? Where did you breakdown? How long did it take to replace the battery?
Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Well - received a call from Rivian. The service rep was super nice, but her news was not good. My Rivian has a complete drive train malfunction which led to a complete battery failure. Both the drive train and battery need to be replaced (which is on top of a the steering column issue).... Has anyone had either of these issues???
I honestly think they should pull these back, refurbished them, use for whatever they see fit, and offer the buyer a new vehicle. This would be in Rivian best interest in my opinion.

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch edition
Oh man. Really? Where did you breakdown? How long did it take to replace the battery?
Driving it off the lot the critical error popped up. They did a hard reset which fixed it for a few miles. But then after that the vehicle kept going into limp mode. It took 3 different service appointments before they decided they had to swap out all the batteries. HV and LV batteries.
It took them about a week. They ended up breaking trim pieces when swapping the batteries so a lot of it was waiting for parts to arrive. The vehicle was working great battery wise once I got it back. But I had to bring the vehicle back to service because they didn’t tighten a lot of the screws so my vehicle sounded like a rattle trap. Especially when the AC compressors would come on. It sounded horrible.

R1T-USN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
’19 X5 40i, ’07 X5 4.8, ’98 M Roadster
This type of full vehicle failure should be replace with a new one. This wasn’t within the first 7 days or could have stated give me a new one or give me my money back, my trade-in (haha) or the value of my trade as well. If applicable..

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Tesla had a 7-return policy but it was eventually cancelled.

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I honestly think they should pull these back, refurbished them, use for whatever they see fit, and offer the buyer a new vehicle. This would be in Rivian best interest in my opinion.
Why? If they can fix it to factory new spec what difference does it make? It's not used by someone else, it's your truck so getting it 100% fixed puts you no worse off than you were before.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Why? If they can fix it to factory new spec what difference does it make? It's not used by someone else, it's your truck so getting it 100% fixed puts you no worse off than you were before.
Because of the negative publicity this type of thing brings....and going the extra mile pays off in the long run. Plus have you ever had something this significant repaired in a vehicle? Odds of success first try are low. Meaning return trips and frustration. And more negative internet posts. Smart business move is simply make it go away and be a hero giving the unluckily person who bought the product, a new and correctly working vehicle, like they paid for.

And they need service vehicles anyway....fix it up...make it a service vehicle...and everybody wins.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

While I understand Rivian not doing a buy back and providing a new vehicle, to question what difference does it make to a customer if the parts are replaced, shows an incredible amount of naivety or deliberate ignorance. These vehicles are months old, not years, with repeated services. Not everyone can give up their vehicle for "uber credits" on a moments notice for weeks at a time, repeatedly.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
While I understand Rivian not doing a buy back and providing a new vehicle, to question what difference does it make to a customer if the parts are replaced, shows an incredible amount of naivety or deliberate ignorance. These vehicles are months old, not years, with repeated services. Not everyone can give up their vehicle for "uber credits" on a moments notice for weeks at a time, repeatedly.
I'm not saying that the time spent in repairs is justifiable, what I'm saying is that even getting a new vehicle wouldn't be any better. It wouldn't make that time waste go away and if you don't trust Rivian to repair it correctly why do you trust that a new one would be any better mechanically?

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I'm not saying that the time spent in repairs is justifiable, what I'm saying is that even getting a new vehicle wouldn't be any better. It wouldn't make that time waste go away and if you don't trust Rivian to repair it correctly why do you trust that a new one would be any better mechanically?
I do agree with that. Seeing different people post on repeated problems that leave them stranded is concerning, if I don't trust a vehicle, warranty or not, its time to get rid of it. Now, I am sure most of these reports are in the minority, but it is concerning, especially for repeat work for the same customer.

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
I do agree with that. Seeing different people post on repeated problems that leave them stranded is concerning, if I don't trust a vehicle, warranty or not, its time to get rid of it. Now, I am sure most of these reports are in the minority, but it is concerning, especially for repeat work for the same customer.
I agree with that as well. There shouldn't be repeat work and that does make me worry about whether or not the rest of the trucks are going to have similar problems but the reality is it could happen twice to one unlucky guy and be a really low failure rate overall. Low probability occurrences do have to happen occasionally.

Joneholland

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
About 5 years ago I purchased a jaguar and it popped the engine when the crew was pulling it out of the garage and into the detail bay.

They apologized profusely, refused to sell me the car and redid the paperwork for a new VIN.

This is what Rivian should be doing for these “pulled out of the parking lot” failures.
Sponsored