Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Since I’m going to be taking my R1T camping, I make it a point to have a fire extinguisher. For my Jeep, I’ve had two of these Elements extinguishers. I can see that it’s rated for electrical, but will that suffice for the R1T. Obviously, I’m not looking to extinguish a battery fire. This is for suppression so I can extract someone or preventing any fire from spreading. I like the Element because it’s meant to have a long duration of operation. However, once ignited, it won’t stop for about a minute.

What extinguishers are y’all carrying, if any at all?

Rivian R1T R1S Fire Extinguisher 9BF75165-395A-434E-98AD-9C9F91503D09
Sponsored

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Although I think that's definitely handy when camping, especially in dry climates, it's never even been a thought on my mind to carry a fire extinguisher in a vehicle (unless it's a track car) for the purpose of trying to extinguish a vehicle fire. Just purchased two; I'd love to see how effective it is.

The form factor does remind me of the Orion road flares I had to use when a car in front of me got t-boned by a red light runner last weekend.

Rivian R1T R1S Fire Extinguisher Screenshot_20220826-213620

Last edited:

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I don't carry any, but I'm buying a few of these now for sure. One for each bedroom in my house and for both vehicles I have.

Edit: I bought 3 of the element extinguishers. One for each car and one for the second floor bedroom of my house where my son sleeps.

Last edited:

Sattman69

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘19 4Runner Limited, toytec lift & power brakes
Occupation
Consult/Project Manager
Great post Sgt Beavis! I just ordered a 4 pack. I had no idea such a handy form factor was available.

Bunker Hill

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired Subsea Engineer
I'm getting ready to take my R1T out for our first overnight camping trip and looked at fire extinguishers to put into the truck before I go. I watched the YouTube videos about the Element 50.

I liked that it is rated for ABC and K. Most of the ones I've looked at are just AB or ABC.

I also like that is doesn't contain compressed gas for a propellant. Not sure just how is works since something appears to propel the suppressant material.

According to Element, the suppression material emitted from the Element is breathable though I don't think I'll challenge that claim. The proper place to be is upwind from the fire so proper fire-fighting positioning shouldn't pose a problem. Since COVID most of us have a mask or two available for quick deployment and I'll probably keep one right with the E50.

Looks like this is a great fire extinguishers to keep in the R1T for camping or any fire-safety situation. My only concern is since it is made in Italy, it lacks any of the USA testing and certifying labels such as UL or NFPA. Did I miss these or are the ones that it has equivalent to UL/NFPA? Thanks for the information Sgt Beavis.

Sponsored

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

According to Element, the suppression material emitted from the Element is breathable though I don't think I'll challenge that claim
The data sheet has good info: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/3...tOperationDescription.pdf?9543567154874779486

Basically the contents of the extinguisher require heat from the fire itself in order to activate and begin stealing all the oxygen from the fire. The active ingredient is potassium nitrate (not some fancy PFA cocktail).

I haven't found a good spot for mine yet. For now it's wedged into the seat pocket.
Rivian R1T R1S Fire Extinguisher 20221123_092946

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Good point about battery fires. I don't have a Rivian yet, but after decades growing up driving old "junker" cars, I always sling an auto-rated Kidde extinguisher under my driver's seat of current truck. Seems a good location where I can grab it if I need to jump out in a hurry. Better safe than sorry.
Sponsored