First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt, Model 3, R1T VIN 34XX LE Glacier White
Occupation
Engineer
I find the finish of the woodwork to be a little rough. I'm thinking of doing some fine sanding to make it smoother. Anyone else experiencing this? Seem reasonable?
Sponsored

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
I haven't inspected any of the wood trim. However, I would suspect there is some sort of 'finish' on the trim. To protect the wood. If you sand, you'll be sanding the finish off first. You might have to also consider adding new finish after you're done smoothing - if you want to have a similar protection.

Let us know how it goes if you try it. I'd suggest starting on an area that is less visible as a test.

Lysdexic

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tundra
Dang. You are braver than me. A few considerations:
What did they use as a finish? Probably spray lacquer.
What finish to use when you inevitability sand through that finish to get to a smooth surface?
What stain to use if you go through their stain on the high spots.

I have finished a fair amount of furniture but to tackle something installed in an automobile is too risky. Only because I wouldn’t have a good solution when something goes awry. And, in my hands, it would.

I have considered applying a brown wax to the OC wood to darken it but I would not start sanding.

Last edited:

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I wouldn’t sand it. Wax/sealant is a safer option. And reversible!

bsaik

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Land Rover RR Sport, R1T reservation holder
Someone did this with his Tesla and shared his results here. The model 3/Y also has a wood dash that is a little rough as well.

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
This is definitely thermally stabilized wood that in some cases probably has been fumed. Idk if I’d sand it and if I were to I would do the whole thing. You’re going to expose new fiber and there will definitely be a difference in the sheen and color you can get in a touched up area. Most thermally stabilized wood trim uses either a water-based poly or new cool catalyzed wax like Rubio mono coat. The wax is the ticket if you don’t want to add sheen.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
I find the finish of the woodwork to be a little rough. I'm thinking of doing some fine sanding to make it smoother. Anyone else experiencing this? Seem reasonable?
The trim looks thin and strangely feels "brittle" to the touch. I wouldn't try to do anything more than dust it … carefully. : )

Sponsored

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Eh, I wouldn't do it. That has the stank of Warranty voided ALL over it.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Some people are commenting to possibly use a wax instead. Would there be a concern about the wax melting/running in higher temperatures (like the cabin in the summer)?

fergie

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
05 4Runner, 22 Kia EV6
As a amateur woodworker, I like to use white non-woven scrub pads to buff out a finish on wood. These are finer than the typical blue and green pads that are more commonly found in stores. I find they can smooth out dust nibs without leaving metal bits that steel wool can.

I definitely don't recommend sandpaper.

Sponsored