Sponsored

Finally took delivery but might turn it back in

80==08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[coming soon] '23 R1S
My guide assured me that if I returned it within the 7-day window because of these issues I could get back on the list for a different one. Will only know if that was accurate should I try to return it!
Unless you're pressed timing wise, I feel like the only way to get peace of mind is to go the return route. I agree with you that it looks like some of those issues aren't things you can necessarily fix afterwards! Ultimately the goal is to have a car you love and have it for a long time, and if these issues will keep you up at night I think you have your answer...

Good luck and sorry they couldn't send you home with a 10/10 out the gate!
Sponsored

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
OP
OP

jskyler

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE RB/BM/22 Brights delivered May 23
Unless you're pressed timing wise, I feel like the only way to get peace of mind is to go the return route. I agree with you that it looks like some of those issues aren't things you can necessarily fix afterwards!
Looks like I'm going to have to keep it and hope the issues get resolved at the service center. Why? First, I have a great finance rate which has since expired and returning will cause my existing loan to close out and a new one (with the increased rate) opened. Second, I'll lose the $7500 EV rebate as a new order will cause me to lose all eligibility and the 2022 purchase document would no longer be valid. Third, Rivian is refusing to guarantee pre-order pricing.

So.... while I can work on #3 easily enough, the first two cannot be worked around. It would cause me to lose quite a bit of money which makes it not worth it. Here's hoping the SC will be able to fix most of my issues!

OP
OP

jskyler

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE RB/BM/22 Brights delivered May 23
I'm curious what in vehicle sound system you find “premium?” This is the best sound system I've ever listened to in a vehicle, by far.
I had a Harmon Kardon system in an Audi some time ago that was the best system ever. A recent Lexus had a Mark Levinson system that also sounded quite good. However, keeping in mind that both of these vehicles were far smaller than the Rivian, they had some natural advantages of sounding better.

Sponsored

80==08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[coming soon] '23 R1S
Looks like I'm going to have to keep it and hope the issues get resolved at the service center. Why? First, I have a great finance rate which has since expired and returning will cause my existing loan to close out and a new one (with the increased rate) opened. Second, I'll lose the $7500 EV rebate as a new order will cause me to lose all eligibility and the 2022 purchase document would no longer be valid. Third, Rivian is refusing to guarantee pre-order pricing.

So.... while I can work on #3 easily enough, the first two cannot be worked around. It would cause me to lose quite a bit of money which makes it not worth it. Here's hoping the SC will be able to fix most of my issues!
Oh wow, sorry to hear! I agree those first two are a big deal that move the needle a ton on price in the long run so I’d probably make the same decision. Good luck with the SC 🤞

SRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
retired
After waiting since 2020 for my R1S, I finally took delivery today of an R1S LE RB/BM/22 Brights. Naturally, having scoured these forums, I was prepared for all kinds of panel gaps and issues, all of which were present, although not as bad as my 2016 Tesla Model S. Immediately though a few things were off:
  1. My VIN was in the 3xxx range, yet my guide told me it was a 3/23 build. That was incorrect and it is a 1/23 build.
  2. I'm left wondering why this vehicle was not delivered back when they were desperate for deliveries. Probably something was wrong with it that they attempted to fix but all they told me was perhaps it got unmatched. I seriously doubt that....
  3. Being a 1/23 build, it is NOT the vehicle that earned the top safety rating. Rivian made modifications that cannot be retro-fit in order to improve the safety rating for builds after 1/23. While I normally wouldn't care, the fact that I took delivery in 5/23 of a vehicle that is knowingly worse in an accident is something my wife is nervous about.
  4. There are two noticeable dents on the outside roof - not sure those can be fixed easily.
  5. The wheel shudders like a misaligned Ford Taurus from the early 90's! I should have taken a video, but anything above 80 MPH and the wheel was shuddering like crazy. My watch even thought I was working out!!
  6. The hood is seriously misaligned as are a couple of the door handles. It took me a minute to figure out why out the driver's side mirror I could see the door handle, but in the passenger's side mirror I couldn't find them at all.
  7. Large gaps in the outside upper trim which should definitely have been caught before delivery.
  8. Crossbar railing section has popped out on drivers side.

On the positive side, there don't appear to be any real paint issues, I have the extra 12V outlet, Meridian Sound (although I'm not sure that's good as it sounds pretty bad) and the factory installed PPF looks great. I had to run my fingers all along the sides to actually find the edges as it had been wrapped so well it looked like it wasn't wrapped at all.

I'm going to drive it around for the next few days to see if anything else crops up before I make my decision on keeping or returning. The build date and lower safety rating have my wife concerned which will be a factor in whatever my final decision is.

20230512_154012.jpg

20230512_153924.jpg

20230512_153838.jpg

20230512_153804.jpg

20230512_153757.jpg
The 2022 was also a top safety pick.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Always a bit disappointing to get a new car and it has issues. I bought an Audi off the showroom floor. The battery was dead and the high speed spoiler was stuck in the up position, probably from people messing with it. They fixed it another day along with other things and it's been a great car for the last ten years.
Sponsored