Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Edit*: Stations are finally online as of 2/16/23.!

We stopped in at the future RAN site in Grayling on our trip to the UP to check and see if they were making progress. We make quite a few trips through this area, so it'll be amazing when it is actually opened. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like Rivian is actually interested in completing it as the state of the site appears mostly unchanged since the first photos of it were posted.

I'm a little disappointed, and as an owner and shareholder, I'd like to know why this site is being neglected.

Rivian R1T R1S Finally RAN Grayling is ONLINE! PXL_20220725_210724834
Sponsored

Last edited:

IRun

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, Model 3
Occupation
Analyst
Clubs

Well that ***king sucks. Was planning to use that on my trip to Traverse City next week. Saw the progress quite a while ago and thought, "yeah, that will be done by August"

Please keep us updated as this is sadly the only RAN in the midwest i'm aware of at this point.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I wonder if they delayed it for supplies initially, and are now sitting there waiting for an inspection so they can install the final hardware.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Well that ***king sucks. Was planning to use that on my trip to Traverse City next week. Saw the progress quite a while ago and thought, "yeah, that will be done by August"

Please keep us updated as this is sadly the only RAN in the midwest i'm aware of at this point.
We used the EA in Gaylord instead both ways. One of the stations on 7/23 was out of service and the other 350kW station faulted out for me on both connectors. A contractor working with EA showed up after I had issues and I aired my concerns with him about it. When we went through today, the 350kW station that was out of service worked for our entire charge duration (8% to 74%). I'm happy the EA station is there and that they are starting to be more proactive about fixing issues, but I'd rather support Rivian, even once they start charging for it

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Any prog?
Haven't heard any reports since mid September. I was hoping to get up there this weekend but came down with a bad cold so we cancelled our trip. Maybe next weekend.

parkside

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1-T and several ICE
Occupation
Business Owner
They are probably waiting for the Utility.

That is a pretty rough “rough in” …. Did you see a pad mount transformer nearby?

We looked at some infrastructure for some Chevy dealers so they could plan a little. 18 months was the estimate from the Utility.

The Utilities have to commit a fair amount of capacity to these without much return, at least for now. And the transformers are scarce.

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
Watching this thread. I was pleasantly surprised to hear Tony Caravano state that the SE MI to UP route was one of the RAN priorities where they would have progress s00n. I have a friend in the UP and really want to do this trip. Had to cancel a flight this summer for a family illness and have some credits to use up for the next trip up there, but after that would love to make the drive from SW PA to the UP.

Does anyone have any of the other known sites with any plans for a RAN on the route?

Sponsored

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
Sure looks like they have equipment wrapped on pallets within the fence perimeter and ready to go to me. They don’t look particularly weather proof—what am I missing?

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Watching this thread. I was pleasantly surprised to hear Tony Caravano state that the SE MI to UP route was one of the RAN priorities where they would have progress s00n. I have a friend in the UP and really want to do this trip. Had to cancel a flight this summer for a family illness and have some credits to use up for the next trip up there, but after that would love to make the drive from SW PA to the UP.

Does anyone have any of the other known sites with any plans for a RAN on the route?
There is supposed to be one in Mackinaw City, but I haven't heard or seen anything concrete about it. The EA station in Gaylord works well enough to get into the UP, but obviously it's probably not free like the RAN charger is going to be, and doesn't have a pull-through.

CJ313

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia telluride, ram 1500
Clubs

He also stated that we will have an actual service center in Michigan by next spring. Its great that rivian making an effort to build an infrastructure for Michigan.

Last edited:

parkside

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business Owner
What you are missing is that the utility has to allocate the power for the chargers. And provide a transformer.

You may have heard of supply chain issues. Those transformers are scarce. And the Utility probably has a more urgent need for them elsewhere.

They have to find them 480v power and at least 100amps of it. That is not on every pole….

The photo is showing some empty conduits and maybe the charging units.

The conduits are taped up to try to keep them from filling with water and/or debris. The units are designed to be outside once they are installed.

parkside

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business Owner
My company has had several issues with this…

Early on cannabis Facilities we budgeted had to relocate to get power.
And remember they take and pay for all the power.

These “chargers” are show ponies…. They don’t have a high utilization factor…

This whole “the grid can’t support it” discussion is very real….

This is a way bigger discussion than “ How do I go to the U.P.”

I really like my Rivian but it is more like a boat or something at this point.

Not to say that it may work out eventually, but it might be a while….
Sponsored