First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
I've made posts like before, but we're 15 days away from my promised "End of November 2021" timeline. Rivian continues to swear that my delivery date hasn't changed - and it feels like a bad to delay customer trucks so close to IPO (but what do I know?) - but it feels impossible right now. It's pretty frustrating trying to have all my money ready to go (which can take days) but no clearer timeline.

Or maybe I'll be surprised and I'll get it? We'll see. But... I've got a bad feeling.
Probably less than that. I'd be surprised if much is happening Thanksgiving week. They have at most a few days to contact you and finalize your configuration and take payment. I'm assuming the truck would have to be built already? Then it would take about a week to delivery across the country. Hopefully they prove us all wrong. Would be great to witness a non-employee delivery finally.
Sponsored

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I'm guessing you'll get it in March.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Yea ... I'm hoping that I get my R1S before rates start to climb ... I can get 1.79% for 60 months at BofA right now. That includes the 0.50% rate discount for Platinum Honors level.

Riventures

First Name
Ft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eTron GT
Occupation
Management Consultant
I do hope that everyone who has been waiting for a long time get their vehicle in one shape or another. It would be a great Christmas present to all the families for sure.

What I am curious about is companies, and their representatives, that have significant experience in automotive manufacturing have been fixated on the number 20,000 EV vehicles for 2022. Rivian, which has no experience yet, is promising nearly 50K vehicles.

I am sorry, I am just in a pessimistic mood today. :facepalm:

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
They are not likely going to deliver your vehicle by end of the month. They likely won't deliver it next month either based on what they have said. They all but said two weeks ago that they won't start customer deliveries until January.
I'm curious where you saw they won't be delivering until January.

In the latest S1 filing they have targeted getting 1000 R1Ts delivered by end of December which is over 800 more than they had delivered by the end of October.

"In the consumer market, we launched the R1 platform with our first-generation consumer vehicle, the R1T, a two-row five-passenger pickup truck, and began making customer deliveries in September 2021. As of September 30, 2021, we produced 12 R1Ts and delivered 11 R1Ts, and as of October 31, 2021, we produced 180 R1Ts and delivered 156 R1Ts. Nearly all of these vehicles were delivered to Rivian employees, and we expect to ramp deliveries to third-party customers as we increase our production rate. We plan to launch and commence customer deliveries for the R1S, a three-row seven-passenger sports utility vehicle (“SUV”) in December 2021 following the completion of ongoing vehicle validation and all required testing. By the end of 2021, we intend to produce approximately 1,200 R1Ts and 25 R1Ss and deliver approximately 1,000 R1Ts and 15 R1Ss."

Sponsored

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Nearly all of these vehicles were delivered to Rivian employees, and we expect to ramp deliveries to third-party customers as we increase our production rate.
In later updates, they gave specifics about their current production rate, and expected production rate through end of year, which were nearly the same. Also, given the belief/knowledge that they are making employee deliveries to weed out the early production issues, they aren't increasing production rate until those issues have been resolved.

So, the conclusion based on all of the above is that, unless things change from their expectations in the latest S1, the production rate (and therefore customer deliveries) isn't increasing until after end of year. That doesn't mean there won't be one off deliveries until then, but I wouldn't expect it to happen to me until January or later.

Perhaps the update later this month will revise that, but until then that is the information I'm going off of.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
What I am curious about is companies, and their representatives, that have significant experience in automotive manufacturing have been fixated on the number 20,000 EV vehicles for 2022. Rivian, which has no experience yet, is promising nearly 50K vehicles.
Rivian has not promised 50k vehicles in 2022 at all. RJ is actually on record saying that their first full year of production would likely be 20k-40k vehicles, and that was before the pandemic. As another reference point, Lucid is currently guiding to 20k vehicles in 2022, and they are virtually on the same start date as Rivian for production.

My expectations for Rivian are 25k-35k vehicles in 2022, including 10k vans, and then the remainder of current orders are fulfilled in 2023.

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Who knows, maybe they’re building up a good supply so they can have a launch event like Lucid and Tesla does at the Normal factory? And they will invite all the 2018 pre-order holders to pick up their vehicles in a big event. Pure conjecture on my part

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
I don’t foresee them building you truck without a final configuration warning. Hell, I change my rivian 2 to 3 times a day.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I don’t foresee them building you truck without a final configuration warning. Hell, I change my rivian 2 to 3 times a day.
There's basically no risk to them building g a truck ahead of configuration. if he doesn't take it, someone else will have the same configuration. Which Carter locked in with his guide half a year ago.

That being said this is what really bothers me about Rivian. They're *exceedingly* insensitive to customer needs. OP sold his truck this month based on word fro. His guide, and yet they still can't even provide any other information? No vin?? If this were any other startup I'd call it vaporware.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
That being said this is what really bothers me about Rivian. They're *exceedingly* insensitive to customer needs. OP sold his truck this month based on word fro. His guide, and yet they still can't even provide any other information? No vin?? If this were any other startup I'd call it vaporware.
I agree 100%. I had a similar experience with CS regarding delivery of the Rivian EVSE station that is part of my order. I tried to explain that I wanted to know when it would be shipped so I could schedule the work with an electrician. In my local area, electricians are scheduling _months_ in advance. And we all know that QMERIT just sub-contracts out to local electricians. So, my ask was "will the EVSE be shipped prior to the vehicle?" This turned into a game of "who's on second" with CS where they repeatedly told me to just schedule the initial wiring right now and then schedule a _second_ electrician later for the actual EVSE install. They didn't seem to get that for some of us, that involves pulling two separate permits and paying the permit/inspection fee twice.

That's a long-winded story but I'm trying to communicate that Rivian in general and CS in particular appear really disconnected from the reality that their customers are living in in terms of trying to get ready for these vehicles.

OP
OP
CarterGee

CarterGee

First Name
Carter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner Limited '16
It's true I sold my truck. I did so totally understanding that it could be delayed, but I'd prefer it didn't and everything I've heard is that we're still on track.

To be fair, my confirmation has been locked for a few months.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
It's true I sold my truck. I did so totally understanding that it could be delayed, but I'd prefer it didn't and everything I've heard is that we're still on track.

To be fair, my confirmation has been locked for a few months.
Locked as in they will not allow you to make changes? That’s pretty awesome.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I never understood why people think you need 2 weeks notice to buy a vehicle that you had 3 years to prep for.

When I bought my Rebel, I went in one day to measure, check to see which models would fit in my garage, came back the next day and bought.

Now with Rivian we also have delivery, so they could sell it to you but it could take a bit to be delivered.
I get this if you're buying in cash but there are also people selling vehicles. With supply chain issues driving up used car values I don't know what I'd do, sell now and be out of a car for potentially a few months or hold onto an appreciating vehicle for a bit longer and pay for the Rivian in cash. I was a late pre-order so I know I won't need to start thinking about things until this time next year.
Sponsored