Federal Tax Credit for Electric Vehicle Chargers Renewed

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
As speculated, looks like Rivian will be selling a home charging station as part of the car purchasing process.

From the website:
“At home, you can purchase and install our Rivian wall-mounted charging station, capable of delivering roughly 25 miles of range per hour. We can take care of installation as part of this purchase. Your vehicle also comes standard with a portable charging cable that neatly packs away and plugs into both 120V and 240V outlets, delivering up to 16 miles of range per hour.³”
Unless they extend the Tax Credit, it is unlikely that you can get this purchased and installed by year end and get the 30%.
Sponsored

UT Rivian

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWM2
Unless they extend the Tax Credit, it is unlikely that you can get this purchased and installed by year end and get the 30%.
Yeah, I just couldn’t find a better thread to put this in.

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
For this post, let's assume the EVSE tax credit is not extended past 2020.

In reading Form 8911 and instructions (almost fell asleep), it was difficult to discern the the finite details of the EVSE credit. Sounds like it includes all aspects of equipment "towards" the EVSE installation. Let's say I wanted to wait on the purchase the EVSE itself (possible new models/see what Rivian does as a package), but wanted to get the electrical work completed prior to the end of 2020, does anyone know if the electrical work itself would qualify for the credit, as the work was executed for the sole intention of having it utilized for an EVSE? I know, this sounds like a stretch, but the verbiage i've read in a few places leads room for interpretation (as least what I've read).

Basically, it sounds like the credit is for/can be used for EVSE equipment and electrical work, not that one has to have purchased and installed both to use the credit. Am I wrong?

I've probably missed the key FAQ somewhere on the credit. If anyone happens to be the guru on this, please let me know. Thanks!

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
For this post, let's assume the EVSE tax credit is not extended past 2020.

In reading Form 8911 and instructions (almost fell asleep), it was difficult to discern the the finite details of the EVSE credit. Sounds like it includes all aspects of equipment "towards" the EVSE installation. Let's say I wanted to wait on the purchase the EVSE itself (possible new models/see what Rivian does as a package), but wanted to get the electrical work completed prior to the end of 2020, does anyone know if the electrical work itself would qualify for the credit, as the work was executed for the sole intention of having it utilized for an EVSE? I know, this sounds like a stretch, but the verbiage i've read in a few places leads room for interpretation (as least what I've read).

Basically, it sounds like the credit is for/can be used for EVSE equipment and electrical work, not that one has to have purchased and installed both to use the credit. Am I wrong?

I've probably missed the key FAQ somewhere on the credit. If anyone happens to be the guru on this, please let me know. Thanks!
I believe you are correct in that the electrical work would be included when necessary to install EV charging equipment. This could include service/panel upgrades if required. I see nothing that indicates the EVSE purchase/install is actually required to occur simultaneously. If you, wind up changing plans and not later installing an EVSE, it could require an amended 2020 return to correct the claimed tax credit. Or it could be argued that the 15-50 outlet (as an example) is still for EV charging and therefore "refueling infrastructure".

As always, you should consult a certified tax advisor as I am not, never have been, nor do I plan to ever be, a tax professional.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Yes, the electrical work is included. Actually, there is no reason you could not go out and buy one of the many 48A EVSE, including even Tesla, and install it right now. You don't need to have Rivian EVSE to charge a Rivian (unless you want the Rivian logo). I think the problem you probably face now is finding an installer, pulling the permit and getting the work scheduled within the time remaining. The permitting process is, at least around here, much slower than it was in pre COVID times.

Sponsored

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
I am a tax professional, but I'm not your tax professional. The EVSE must be placed in service this year for any of the costs related to it to be eligible for the credit. Your best bet is to buy and install a non-Rivian EVSE this year. I suspect the unit and the install through Rivian will be sold at a markup to capture the value of the convenience they're offering not making you go figure it out alone.

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
Yes, the electrical work is included. Actually, there is no reason you could not go out and buy one of the many 48A EVSE, including even Tesla, and install it right now. You don't need to have Rivian EVSE to charge a Rivian (unless you want the Rivian logo). I think the problem you probably face now is finding an installer, pulling the permit and getting the work scheduled within the time remaining. The permitting process is, at least around here, much slower than it was in pre COVID times.
Thanks. Yeah, It wasn't about getting a specific Rivian EVSE. It was about the possible 18-20 months between now and getting the vehicle. I can't envision new options coming out from Chargepoint, Enel X, etc. between now and then. Also, I wanted to see if Rivian happened to do something special, although unlikely and possibly more expensive. I'm likely just going to wait at this point.

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
I am a tax professional, but I'm not your tax professional. The EVSE must be placed in service this year for any of the costs related to it to be eligible for the credit. Your best bet is to buy and install a non-Rivian EVSE this year. I suspect the unit and the install through Rivian will be sold at a markup to capture the value of the convenience they're offering not making you go figure it out alone.
Thanks for clarifying! Much appreciated. I'll probably just wait until things are further along down the road. If life circumstances change between now and my expected delivery date, it's entirely possible I may not even purchase the vehicle. Don't want to be stuck with an unnecessary EVSE hanging on the wall! I already have enough worthless stuff hanging around that I need to sell ;)

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I simply installed a NEMA 14-50 outlet (same as a standard dryer plug) in my garage to charge my Tesla. My breaker box was in the garage, and had an empty 240v 50amp breaker in the box, so just ran a 3’ length of 6/3 AWG wire from the breaker box to the outlet which I installed one stud over from the breaker box. Did it all myself for about $20 in parts. Never bothered to claim the $7 tax credit ;). The Tesla shipped with a charging cable and NEMA 14-50 adaptor.

Not nearly as “sexy” as the HPWC, but at $20 vs. $800 plus install for the HPWC, I can live with that. My Tesla charged at 30mph with that connector - 50% faster than J-1772 chargers which generally only charge at 19 mph.

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
I simply installed a NEMA 14-50 outlet (same as a standard dryer plug) in my garage to charge my Tesla. My breaker box was in the garage, and had an empty 240v 50amp breaker in the box, so just ran a 3’ length of 6/3 AWG wire from the breaker box to the outlet which I installed one stud over from the breaker box. Did it all myself for about $20 in parts. Never bothered to claim the $7 tax credit ;). The Tesla shipped with a charging cable and NEMA 14-50 adaptor.

Not nearly as “sexy” as the HPWC, but at $20 vs. $800 plus install for the HPWC, I can live with that. My Tesla charged at 30mph with that connector - 50% faster than J-1772 chargers which generally only charge at 19 mph.
Lucky. I have a slightly more complex project! Ha.

Sponsored

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
Reviving an old thread rather than starting a new one. Has anyone seen/heard anything about this tax credit coming back as part of IRA? TIA.

GR

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Ears perked up when I saw this pop up, until I saw the dates of all the other posts in the thread. Now:

Rivian R1T R1S Federal Tax Credit for Electric Vehicle Chargers Renewed 1660873026584

Last edited:

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Explorer Limited, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

So it seems that they have worked out most of the details on this and they basically reinstated the existing tax credit (30% for home installs) and will be expanding a lot of credits in 2023. I think most of the expansion is for commercial/business installs so no reason to not buy a charger this year.

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
So it seems that they have worked out most of the details on this and they basically reinstated the existing tax credit (30% for home installs) and will be expanding a lot of credits in 2023. I think most of the expansion is for commercial/business installs so no reason to not buy a charger this year.
Thanks for the update! Can you tell me where to find more details about this?

GR
Sponsored