Sponsored

Federal Tax Credit for Electric Vehicle Chargers Renewed

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
For those considering installing a home EVSE (aka charger) in 2020, you might be able to save a few bucks with a renewed federal tax credit according to a Feb 6, 2020, Renew Wisconsin article "Federal Tax Credit for Electric Vehicle Chargers Renewed"

Electric Vehicle chargers are once again eligible for a tax credit
An amendment on the Federal year-end spending bill reinstated electric vehicle charger tax credits that expired in 2017. The credits will cover 30% of the cost to install an EV charger with a maximum credit of $1,000 for individual taxpayers and $30,000 for businesses. The credit will be available through the end of 2020. To claim the credit, use IRS Form 8911.
</snip>
Sponsored

Last edited:

photontorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Old Reliable
Is this credit just for tax year 2020? No extensions or sun-setting (credit exists, but at lower amount) for subsequent tax years?

We are not currently an EV household, Rivian will be our first one. Given an order # of 17-thousand-and-something before any adjustments, I don't think we'll have an R1S in hand until maybe the end of 2021.

Questions for the collective wisdom of this forum:

1. how fast do EVSE features/technologies change, and how does that affect the balance of getting something installed now (and thus get the tax credit but have it sit idle for at least a year), vs. waiting a year to get one installed (thus losing out on the tax credit but having access to more recent models)?

2. we have a dedicated 20 A circuit for the garage, currently unused. The Rivian will be the first of what eventually will be an all EV household. What charging is needed for two EVs, and should we have that done when we get the first EVSE installed, knowing the second EV won't show up until a few years after getting the R1S?

Many thanks in advance for feedback.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
I just use the 110 outlet to charge my i3s - my wife's commute is short so it's more than adequate, but it charges the vehicle about 80 miles worth overnight, which is fine, and I can always hit the local paid charger if I need to go somewhere and I'm short. If you're sure you want an installed charger, then I'd get it this year while the tax credit still exists. As for charging capacity, next year's charger model won't be that much better - few people are going to spend the money to bring even more power into their houses and with the average house setup for 100-200 amps, depending on size, spending the money for more than 50 amps to your vehicle just doesn't seem worthwhile unless you're going be driving a couple hundred miles every day (I lived one place for six months where my daily commute was nearly 200 miles - it was exhausting).

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
The technology improvement I'm interested would allow vehicle to grid/house. Otherwise the reason to install a charger is to have an outdoor unit, since I don't park in the garage.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Tax Credit for charging equipment ends Dec 2020, but it has ended before and then been reinstated retroactively (along with the Motorcycle Tax Credit). If you cared to file an amended return you could claim it if it was installed in a previously non-qualified tax year. I wouldn't count on it happening again, but it is possible.

As to technology, an EVSE is essentially just a switch with redundant safety features that feeds AC power to your vehicle (the charger is actually built in). Advances may be in user interface, wifi/app features, but essentially just bells and whistles.

You will almost certainly want a dedicated 240V circuit for EV charging, probably at least 50A (the Rivan will take up to 48A which would require a 60A circuit and hardwired EVSE). If you are planning for another EV, there are units that can share the same circuit, but installing an outlet on seperate circuits near each parking spot is something to consider

Sponsored

gombater

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T FE/FG
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Hi all,
I have a question for those who have an EV or already done the research. Assuming you will get your new Rivian in 2H 2021, It might be best to take advantage of this tax credit now and install the needed charging access. Notwithstanding specific location code, it sounds like the 'ideal' recommendation is to:

1) run a dedicated 240V/60 amp to garage, but hardwire it directly to EVSE instead of outlet [like dryer outlet]
2) purchase the charger now and get it installed in 2020 to take advantage of tax credit - any specific charger model recommendations?

Any chance Rivian may provide in a bundle any of this [speculation, I know] that would make it more advantageous to 'wait it out' and hope for a Rivian discount and a 'new' tax credit?

Curious to know the forum's view....

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Whatever you eventually do about the particular EVSE you install you will need 60A pulls to each location where you think you might want to eventually install EVSE so you could do that now. If you pull 75° rated AWG 6 you will be able to install EVSE to handle the maximum capacity the Rivian will take. If you wind up not installing an EVSE at a location you can always install an outlet of whatever size you want (up tp 60 A that is) for whatever purpose with matching size breaker and have an auxilliary circuit at that location for a welder, air compressor, dryer or even a plug in EVSE etc.

If you do install EVSE now there are several choices including Tesla as you will be able to charge your Rivian from Telsas HPWC. That's attractive if you already own a Tesla vehicle, plan to eventually or even think you might. HPWC has some very attractive networking capabilities on the way with future firmware releases. And they definitely help you make a Tesla "statement" as the logo is prominent, they have a modernistic appearance etc. But Rivian may well be coming out with a charger of their own (or packaged to look as if it came from them) which you could use to make a Rivian "statement" in your garage or carport. This is something they could certainly tell us about now but other than some vague comments I haven't heard anything. You would be able to charge a Tesla from such a Rivian charger as it will have to meet J1772 and Tesla can charge from a J1772 charger. So IMO the biggest risk is that of missing out on a spiffy looking Rivian charger that is released after you have installed a JuiceBox or Tesla charger. That's why I advocate pulling wires with a pretty good size loop at the end so you could go back and take down the Juicebox and replace it with the Rivian charger. Or install it at another location to which you have previously pulled wire.

I'm wrestling with exactly these questions right now as I am building a 3 car garage and wondering where to put what in terms of chargers. Flexibility and future proofing are more important to me than the tax credit. Whether that gets extended or not depends on which of the two idiots running for president gets elected.

Last edited:

ohmman

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model X LR, 2014 Model S P85
It's worth evaluating your driving needs as well. I considered adding a second EVSE (Tesla Wall Charger) in our garage when we got our X, but decided to try plugging in the car that needed the charge more each night. That method has worked fine for our driving habits and we've never been in a situation where we needed a second EVSE. I wound up adding one in our pool house garage, thinking that it would be nice to have that backup - it's never been used except to test it.

Once I get my R1T, I plan to move from the Tesla wall charger, which is currently on a 100A circuit, to a NEMA 14-50. That way I can either use each vehicle's mobile adapter to charge directly from it, or buy an EVSE that plugs into a 14-50 and use that. I'll drop my charging rates, but I already dial them down anyway.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I asked Rivian if they might be offering their own EVSE emphasizing that I needed to make a decision by the end of this year to ensure I can get the tax credit but all I got back was the canned response about the Rivian charging requirements. They didn't even drop a hint that there might be a Rivian branded option so I decided not to wait and find out. I'm fixing up my garage now and don't want to open up walls again later for electrical and I also wanted to be 100% sure I could take advantage of the credit so I went ahead and had a ChargePoint Home Flex installed. City Inspector approved the install last Thursday.

I will say that if you are thinking of installing this year to take advantage of the tax credit, you might want to start working on that now. In my area, I have found the trades to be extremely busy these days. If you are like me and don't already have a good electrician, I needed to locate and interview multiple electricians and get multiple estimates. It would usually take a couple of weeks to get someone out for an estimate and then another couple of weeks after selecting the electrician to get the work scheduled. Entire process took longer than I would have expected. I guess my point is don't wait until December and count on still being able to get a charger installed before the end of the year.

OldEVGuy

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired
I asked Rivian if they might be offering their own EVSE emphasizing that I needed to make a decision by the end of this year to ensure I can get the tax credit but all I got back was the canned response about the Rivian charging requirements. They didn't even drop a hint that there might be a Rivian branded option so I decided not to wait and find out. I'm fixing up my garage now and don't want to open up walls again later for electrical and I also wanted to be 100% sure I could take advantage of the credit so I went ahead and had a ChargePoint Home Flex installed. City Inspector approved the install last Thursday.

I will say that if you are thinking of installing this year to take advantage of the tax credit, you might want to start working on that now. In my area, I have found the trades to be extremely busy these days. If you are like me and don't already have a good electrician, I needed to locate and interview multiple electricians and get multiple estimates. It would usually take a couple of weeks to get someone out for an estimate and then another couple of weeks after selecting the electrician to get the work scheduled. Entire process took longer than I would have expected. I guess my point is don't wait until December and count on still being able to get a charger installed before the end of the year.
I also asked Rivian about offering their own EVSE. This is the response I received.

“Congratulations on placing a preorder on the R1S! For home setup, additional equipment (eg: Wall Box) with a CCS connector should do the trick. Using a J1772 connector and a 40 A circuit, you can expect a full charge every morning when you plug your vehicle in before bed. We'll be sharing more information on home charging solutions closer to the start of production.”

Perhaps you could read into this that they will be offering their own EVSE...or not?

I decided not to wait, due to the tax credit expiring at the end of the year. Also, my local electric company is offering a $250 rebate to have one installed by December 31.

As electruck says, I wouldn’t wait much longer to begin the process. I bought a JuiceBox 40 in mid-July, received a permit a few weeks later, and since the electrician is extremely busy, I’m still waiting to have it installed.

Sponsored

gombater

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T FE/FG
Occupation
Engineering Manager
thanks everyone for the input. Think I'll try to get an electrician lined up soon as I know the spec now, and maybe wait a bit longer and hope the configurator comes out this year. If I am lucky and have the 'preferred' RiT configuration maybe I'll be driving one next July [#1196]

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
I think prices will continue to go lower, even as EVSEs get better (I like bells and whistles). I don't think hurrying to beat the incentive deadline is worth it, so I'm waiting.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I think prices will continue to go lower, even as EVSEs get better (I like bells and whistles). I don't think hurrying to beat the incentive deadline is worth it, so I'm waiting.
I don't see installation costs dropping (which are covered by the tax credit), nor EVSEs dropping by 30% in a year.

At a minumum, getting the wiring/outlet done this year would save money.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I went ahead now because I don't anticipate a 30% reduction in EVSE prices over the next 12 months nor do I anticipate any meaningful new bells and whistles. I anticipate the most meaningful bells and whistles will come via the vehicle itself. Also, keep in mind that the 30% federal rebate applies to the charger and installation - the cost of which is not trivial if you're adding a new circuit ($750 in my case). If you have an available outlet in your garage and plan to utilize a lower current wall plug EVSE then the cost of installation wouldn't be a factor.

my 2020 Federal tax credit: $435

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I went ahead now because I don't anticipate a 30% reduction in EVSE prices over the next 12 months nor do I anticipate any meaningful new bells and whistles. I anticipate the most meaningful bells and whistles will come via the vehicle itself. Also, keep in mind that the 30% federal rebate applies to the charger and installation - the cost of which is not trivial if you're adding a new circuit ($750 in my case). If you have an available outlet in your garage and plan to utilize a lower current wall plug EVSE then the cost of installation wouldn't be a factor.

my 2020 Federal tax credit: $435
Also worth pointing out that I've heard more than one case where people were not able to take advantage of both the EVSE and Vehicle tax credits in the same tax year. AMT kicked in and they "lost" part or the credit they would have otherwise gotten. If you are borderline on utilizing the full $7,500 credit, definitely worth doing the install in a different tax year. I don't think there is a clear cut number for using both credits and having AMT kick in, but something worth considering.
Sponsored