Sponsored

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD, Ford F150 EB 4X4 Platinum 6.5ft bed
My wish list:
1/ Bring back the awesome 180 deg drop down electric tailgate please!
2/ A digital rearview mirror or allow one of the rear camera to stay on while driving with a high load that blocks the traditional rearview mirror
3/ A power sliding window option on the rear window
4/ Optional mud flaps
5/ Optional lightweight campershell
6/ A multi-section removable roof panels option
7/ A powered sun shade option
8/ A RFID key tag with Phone-As-Key PAK
9/ Surround view while off roading with individual or all camera selections
10/ A HUD option
11/ Fabric seats option
12/ 21in wheel center cap replacement kit
13/ Matching Rivian luggage set designed for the gear tunnel
14/ Manual pull-up sun shades on the rear doors
Sponsored

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
I guess that would work as a quick fix, but I'm also thinking of the situation where you park in a parking lot and don't want your doors all unlocked unnecessarily. The option to unlock only after driver door unlocks would still be nice.
Iā€™d like to see geo-fence smart setting options. For example, an ā€œall doors unlockā€ setting for when Iā€™m home vs ā€œdriver doorā€ only when Iā€™m in an unknown location.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Iā€™d like to see geo-fence smart setting options. For example, an ā€œall doors unlockā€ setting for when Iā€™m home vs ā€œdriver doorā€ only when Iā€™m in an unknown location.
Or all doors if multiple PAAK are picked up.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
My wish list:
8/ A RFID key tag with Phone-As-Key PAK
9/ Surround view while off roading with individual or all camera selections
donā€™t these already exist?

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

My wish list:
2/ A digital rearview mirror or allow one of the rear camera to stay on while driving with a high load that blocks the traditional rearview mirror
I just drove yesterday after picking up a backseat full of balloons. Went to cameras and switched the view to rear. It stayed in the entire way and I was able to use that as my rear view

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Software update on demand. Here you go:

1649077594144.png
You can't label this graph meaningfully because the largest magnitude number it must display is +āˆž as you back off the pedal to a coast and -āˆž when you back it off further and regen just starts. That's one of the big disadvantages in trying to express consumption as its reciprocal. What does the current display do when regen starts? Where is -āˆž on the current graph?

The other huge disadvantage is, of course, that the display is in no sense linear with consumption (or efficiency) nor, therefore, can the scale be linear. Were additional equally spaced marks to be added to the proposed scale the one below 1 would have to be labeled 0.333 and the one above 3 labeled 9.

My requests to Rivian are:

1) Stop calling fuel consumption "Efficiency"
2) Change this display to show Wh/mi or at least give those of us who understand the significance of consumption the option to have it display consumption in Wh/mi,
3)Add another horizontal reference line fixed at the rated (EPA) consumption.

Last edited:

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
You can't label this graph meaningfully because the largest magnitude number it must display is +āˆž as you back off the pedal to a coast and -āˆž when you back it off further and regen just starts. That's one of the big disadvantages in trying to express consumption as its reciprocal. What does the current display do when regen starts? Where is -āˆž on the current graph?

The other huge disadvantage is, of course, that the display is in no sense linear with consumption (or efficiency) nor, therefore, can the scale be linear. Were additional equally spaced marks to be added to the proposed scale the one below 1 would have to be labeled 0.333 and the one above 3 labeled 9.

My requests to Rivian are:

1) Stop calling fuel consumption "Efficiency"
2) Change this display to show Wh/mi or at least give those of us who understand the significance of consumption the option to have it display consumption in Wh/mi,
3)Add another horizontal reference line fixed at the rated (EPA) consumption.
I see your point. Frankly, I am OK with how Rivian is doing it; A relative energy consumption graph is all I need for hypermiling. But if they change it, having the option to show just KW/t on the graph (taking the mile out of it); something like a speedometer with energy and that should be quite doable since hardware limitations and friction put the actual energy output and intake via regenerative breaking at a measurable level ( not āˆž ) so the actual numbers could be shown on display as energy leaves and enters the battery and graph could use 5-10 second average for data points to get rid of most spikes at stoplight. TFL guys towing down the mountain at highway speed, loosing a ton of elevation noted, they did not gain much range so in practice the ā€œoff the chartā€™ā€ data points may be rare. I am OK with non linear graph as long as it is labeled at intervals R1 most likely will spend itā€™s time at.

Edit: I think wh/mi or mi/KWh are in fact measure of ā€œefficiencyā€œ since they take into account the energy you put into your AC, stereo and fighting friction as you cover miles.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I see your point. Frankly, I am OK with how Rivian is doing it;
I am not asking Rivian to take anything away from anyone. I don't see the logic behind what they have done but these forums make it clear that some like it this way and I would propose that Rivian leave this mode for those who like it. What I am asking is that the option to display in the more sensible fashion also be available for those of us who find the current display frustrating. This would be engineers and other technically inclined souls who are mystified as to why Rivian has done it the way they have. There must have been some interesting meetings at the factory when the decision was made to go the way they did.

Let me break off here for a minute to ask a question of those who are lucky enough to have taken delivery. Suppose you are driving along in max regen mode and come to the beginning of a long down grade. You go over the crest and beging to speed up so you back off the pedal and slow down. Clearly the power you are taking from the battery goes down and the Rivian display shows an increase in mi/kWh. If the hill steepens you will bring the pedal back further and the mi/kWh goes up even more. If this continues eventually you are not using any energy at all - gravity is generating all the energy necessary to overcome drag. continuing a little further and now there is net positive energy coming from the motors which is being stored in the battery. Your miles per kWh is now a negative number. How does the current display show this, In particular what does it do as you pass from very small positive consumption (very high miles/kWh) to small negative consumption (very high negative miles/kWh) at onset of regen?

A relative energy consumption graph is all I need for hypermiling.
Please don't tell me there is no power meter (kW)!

But if they change it, having the option to show just KW/t on the graph (taking the mile out of it); something like a speedometer with energy and that should be quite doable since hardware limitations and friction put the actual energy output and intake via regenerative breaking at a measurable level ( not āˆž ) so the actual numbers could be shown on display as energy leaves and enters the battery and graph could use 5-10 second average for data points to get rid of most spikes at stoplight.
I sincerely hope that this (instantaneous or second level average power) is available to the driver prominently displayed. It is from the power meter that the driver gets his first impression of how he uses power. If he stomps it and sees his power going up to 350 kW then perhaps he will be more circumspect next time he passes.

The truck IS measuring power from the battery and it is computing the integral of this power. It is easily measured at the battery terminals (and in other places too) with, probably, Hall effect sensors. Voltages are being measured at various places too but certainly at the battery terminals. It is from the integrals (cumulative sums over various time periods and distances) that the truck determines consumption (Wh/mi) and from Wh/mi they calculate mi/kWh which is what they have chosen to display for some reason. To understand what is going on what we need to see is the amount of energy consumed per unit distance driven. As I have pointed out in other posts on this subject (getting this display fixed is my crusade) kWh is the dependent variable here and the miles driven the independent one.

TFL guys towing down the mountain at highway speed, loosing a ton of elevation noted, they did not gain much range so in practice the ā€œoff the chartā€™ā€ data points may be rare.
Not at all the case. Observe your power meter (assuming that there is one) when driving in traffic . Whenever it dips below 0, which it does almost every time regen cuts in) the consumption is negative and as power crosses from positive to negative its reciprocal (mi/kWh) snaps from +āˆž to -āˆž. The Rivian display apparently saturates at +āˆž (and I don't know what it does when regen is charging the battery) but in any event it obscures what regen is doing for you.

I am OK with non linear graph as long as it is labeled at intervals R1 most likely will spend itā€™s time at.
The problem with a non linear graph is that you can't eyeball integrate under it but then most people who prefer the mpg type display would never want to do that.

Edit: I think wh/mi or mi/KWh are in fact measure of ā€œefficiencyā€œ since they take into account the energy you put into your AC, stereo and fighting friction as you cover miles.
Efficiency has an accepted meaning in engineering. It is the fraction of something which goes to its intended purpose relative to the total put into a system. It is, thus, a dimmensionless quantity (often expressed as a %). If you put 1 kW electrical power into a motor and 950W emerges as mechanical power then the efficiency of the motor is 950/1000 = 0.95 or 95%. Mi/kWh nor kWh/mi express any notion of efficiency

Last edited:
Reactions: Max

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
I'm really disappointed that the R1's don't have camera-based rear-view mirrors. Had that on both my recent LRs and absolutely love the feature, and given my intent to put an RTT over the bed, having a camera that could see past that and give me good rear-view would have been absolutely wonderful.

I really hope these are standard features on the R2, and I kinda hope there's some sort of aftermarket solution to do this to the R1s. I'll definitely miss this feature when I trade in the Defender.

Sponsored

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD, Ford F150 EB 4X4 Platinum 6.5ft bed
I'm really disappointed that the R1's don't have camera-based rear-view mirrors. Had that on both my recent LRs and absolutely love the feature, and given my intent to put an RTT over the bed, having a camera that could see past that and give me good rear-view would have been absolutely wonderful.

I really hope these are standard features on the R2, and I kinda hope there's some sort of aftermarket solution to do this to the R1s. I'll definitely miss this feature when I trade in the Defender.
I have the same concern regarding a lack of a digital rear view mirror but I was told by a R1T owner on this forum that you can turn on the rear camera and keep it on while driving. I'll have to try it out myself once my R1T arrives next week...I hope...Fingers crossed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S
My wish list (Sorry if any have been previously posted):

- Automatic squat mode at certain locations to aid entry for my wife,
- Radio station and songs being played showing up on either the main dash panel on the center screen in split mode
- Split screen mode on center screen
- Easier access to climate fan control
- Ability to change Alexa wake up word,
- Ability to voice. control w/out Alexa/Amazon,
- Option to allow suspension heights remain in last used position,
- A litany of improvements to the nav functions,
- Ability to change voice and accent of nav
- For us color blind folks, a different way of showing heavy traffic on map (thicker line, hash marks in line, etc.)
- for us older folks, ability to change font size,
- Ability to turn off wireless charging,
- Ability to remove plastic organizer below read states to allow for better or ore flexible use of this space.
- Ability to change volume or tone on turn signals,
- Ability to select exact percentage to charge the battery (currently only 70%, 85% and 100% offered),
- Ability to set passenger seat settings to profiles (when my wife and I switch, it would be nice for the passenger seats to also change.)
- Have the fob work on proximity as the "Phone Key" does.
- Some sort of way to have the phone not work as a proximity key at least at certain locations. (I almost carry my phone and use the garage as the main door most of the time. I don't want to wake the car up every time I enter the garage and don't want turn the phone/app off either>,
- Options to allow seat ventilator to remain in last position,
- Radio: ability or auto function to set favorites in numerical order,
- Some how to reset auto saved local stations when traveling,
- radio: auto ambient sound sensing volume so that the volume does not have to be changed as we speed up or slow down.