First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
This came across my FB feed as a post sponsored by NADA - National Automobile Dealers Association. They are paying Facebook to make the general public question the Rivian delivery model.
Link to the Business Insider article they reference.

Rivian R1T R1S FB Rivian targeted post - sponsored by NADA 1669346202965
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
What an absolute garbage “article”. I would say the fact the NADA feels the need to buy FB ads and bribe Business Insider to publish that kind of shite is only proof they know they are losing ground.

Business Insider =

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Wow talk about a classic case of yellow journalism. First I would like to point out that the biggest negative they reference to the direct sales model is the law requiring dealerships. So basically the problem with the customer direct model is the artificial roadblock they've placed themselves in order to secure their hands in the cookie jar.

Second, they reference two things the end of haggling and supply chains making people order factory direct as a pro for dealerships somehow when the direct sales model caused the haggling thing and proved that people are willing to buy factory direct. So their own pro dealership article both pointed out the negatives of a dealership and proved that direct sales was superior.

Way to go business insider, when your argument for dealers is actually a stronger argument for direct sales you might not be a great journalist.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Compass Yellow?

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

It’s a nice try, but I don’t think they will have any luck slowing down direct to consumer sales. Unless of course they do it with laws and legal challenges which is their MO.

Its a little laughable that NADA and business insider thinks the entire population is too dumb to figure out that dealerships, dealership groups, and dealership organizations are corrupt and crooked legally enforced by equally crooked lawmakers.

Dealerships are dinosaurs and WILL go extinct.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
They also say many big automakers are changing to direct sales/ delivery. I wonder why they would do that if the old way was going so well for them and the consumer? :giggle:

Their main criticism of the direct model seems to be that companies like Rivian and Lucid can’t count those sales as revenue until the vehicle is delivered. According to them a dealer counts vehicles as revenue as soon as they leave from the factory and might sit on the lot for months until some poor sap wanders into their web. So the dealers are counting revenue before it’s even sold and we’re supposed to believe THAT is the better way to do business?

What a mess that article is.:angry:

Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
“Is rivian losing out because they’re NOT using dealerships?”
Rivian R1T R1S FB Rivian targeted post - sponsored by NADA 1669388768668

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I think Rivian is losing out by not supporting independent auto repair businesses, but only to the extent that Rivian isn't responsive enough about fixing issues right now.
Sponsored