Sponsored

#FAIL - Could TFL be getting the Rivian tomorrow at 1PM?

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Mostly, who cares.
Sponsored

Greenwater

First Name
Green
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S
Occupation
software engineer
I watched their rivian "regret they aren't reviewing it right now" video and they come across as reasonable to me. I'll look forward to seeing them review it soon enough though.

It makes sense to me that Rivian wants to use the more established and less risky magazine car reviewers - I think we all know reviewers MotorTrend is easier on a car maker. Those companies are a kind of access journalism, where they might not get a car to review early if they are too harsh. TFL is kind of a wild card, can be more honest, not afraid to point things out. I liked the TFL talk about the new tesla yoke steering wheel - I also agree it seems stupid - I have a tesla with a boring old regular steering wheel just to say that I'm not a hater.

You might remember the original model S would get hot and couldn't do the continual acceleration that you needed for great racetrack driving, the cooling wasn't designed for that. It never mattered on driving on a regular freeway at high speeds though. The 3 fixed that, and the new plaid S also has apparently fixed that. Probably pretty quickly someone will find that thing the Rivian doesn't do that great, maybe it's the Ike Challenge. There will always be something a car can't do, every car has some limitations.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
You might remember the original model S would get hot and couldn't do the continual acceleration that you needed for great racetrack driving, the cooling wasn't designed for that. It never mattered on driving on a regular freeway at high speeds though. The 3 fixed that, and the new plaid S also has apparently fixed that. Probably pretty quickly someone will find that thing the Rivian doesn't do that great, maybe it's the Ike Challenge. There will always be something a car can't do, every car has some limitations.
From the perspective of acceleration and maintaining speed, I would think the Rivian would do well on IKE. It's got gobs of torque at any RPM (one benefit of electric). The main issue would be energy consumption, imo. The range is going to really suffer (more than the 50% average hit for towing).
Sponsored