Sponsored

Factory Tour and Accepting Delivery On-Site... and My "Dream Delivery"

RforRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner, 2014 Equinox
So I did some digging on plans for making out to Normal for a plant tour when accepting delivery of the vehicle. There is an Amtrak route from Chicago Union Station to Normal IL that runs 5 times a day and only costs $20. It is also about the same amount of time as driving from Chicago to Normal. The Uber cost from either Midway or O'Hare is about $30 to Union Station and the cost from the station in Bloomington/Normal to Rivian is $10. So after the cost of plane tickets it would only be about another $60 to get to Normal.

If cost is your main concern then this seems to be the best option. There will obviously be some issues with timing a flight so that you aren't waiting at the train station for hours but this seems pretty smooth.

The second and probably fastest option is to rent a car when you arrive at the airport and then drive to Normal from there. It looks like this would start around $150 and go up from there. You also still will need to Uber from the rental place to the factory.

Here is my ideal scenario. Rivian offers a "Accept delivery at factory" option that reduces the destination fee and includes a factory tour (maybe call it the "First Adventure" option). When we are close to having our vehicle manufactured we are assigned a factory tour/delivery date (maybe a month in advance so travel can be planned). We are responsible for getting to Normal the day before the delivery to a hotel that Rivian has selected. This let's all of the owners chill and meet up and maybe Rivian could partner with a Hotel to offer a discount or something. On the morning of delivery Rivian picks everyone up (in an R1T or R1S of course) and takes them to the facility to start the day. At the end everyone gets their keys and drives off in their new Rivian.

I know this is probably unlikely but I don't think the cost to Rivian would be to extreme for this and it would be an awesome experience for those of us that have pre-ordered. What do you all think about this? Am I missing anything?
Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I'd be cool with that. A SN engraved on the truck or even on the key fob would be plus. I cant remember another company that would do this in the US, so I'm wondering how many people would actually go.

JMR1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep GC WK2 | Previously: Audi SQ5, GMC Canyon, many others
I'm seeing one way flights from Denver into Bloomington International (BMI) for $140. Looked at a couple other major cities across the country and had relatively comparable flight costs if you can get to a major airport. I would definitely go this route instead of trying to fly into Chicago and making the trip down.

Love the hotel and day-of delivery ideas with other owners!

bigdogrod

First Name
rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
honda ridgeline, pre order for cybertruck and r1t
here's a question though. say we do fly in to pick up the truck (pun intended), will Rivian be providing temporary tags & registration so that we can drive back home?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
here's a question though. say we do fly in to pick up the truck (pun intended), will Rivian be providing temporary tags & registration so that we can drive back home?
Yes

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
So it will be registered initially in Illinois. Will Illinois charge sales tax on the transaction or refund it once I get the truck out of state?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
So it will be registered initially in Illinois. Will Illinois charge sales tax on the transaction or refund it once I get the truck out of state?
Again, it depends.

Not trying to be difficult here but all forum members (not picking on AJ here as he is just highlighting the considerations) should either research the applicable state laws yourself or wait for Rivian to tell you how it will work. It is a complex matter and a blanket answer covering all US States, CA and MX is simply not possible.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Not necessarily. Rivian could become a "dealer" and collect registration fees, taxes, issue temp tags etc for as many states as they think makes sense. They will need a dealers license in most (all?) States where they deliver vehicles anyway. It is common for dealerships just across a State border to do this, and as far as I know there are no geographical restrictions on doing so. The exception would be the States that have twisted their franchise laws to prevent direct sales by car manufacturers.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Yes that's clear and why I questioned the simple "Yes" answer. I do know for a fact that if I buy a vehicle from Tesla, pick it up in New Jersey, drive it to Virginia and register it there I will have to register it in NJ first and pay their sales tax and then register it in Virginia an pay their sales tax. I know this because I assayed to do it and was warned not to by Tesla.

bigdogrod

First Name
rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
honda ridgeline, pre order for cybertruck and r1t
exactly. tesla , lourdstowne motors (workhorse), etc has already laid the groundwork for direct sales, so hopefully it's an easy process.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Easy, perhaps, but it can be expensive. Any way the answer is not "Yes", the answer is "check the regulations in your state and Illinois".

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Easy, perhaps, but it can be expensive. Any way the answer is not "Yes", the answer is "check the regulations in your state and Illinois".
The answer to "would you be able to drive away in your vehicle" is indeed a simple yes. The financial ramification is a different issue altogether. And, to your point, is an issue that might prompt some people to choose not to take factory delivery even though it might be possible.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
But that wasn't the question. The question was as to whether Rivian would be providing temporary tags and registration. Does anyone really know the answer to that?

In any event as many here already know the same question is being asked about flying to Austin in order to take delivery of a new CT. It gets even more interesting there as Tesla is not permitted to sell cars in Texas.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
But that wasn't the question. The question was as to whether Rivian would be providing temporary tags and registration. Does anyone really know the answer to that?
But that absolutely was the question. You conveniently left off the "so that we can drive back home" part of the question which was ultimately what the poster was trying to figure out. No, we still don't know a lot of things about Rivian the least of which is whether Rivian will even offer factory delivery. However, if they do offer it, it will be so that you can drive home in your new vehicle. The terms of being able to do so may not be agreeable to some.

I'm out on this topic. Here's the last word AJ, it's all yours....

E-lectric

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T El Cap w/ 22s , 24 BMW i5 M60
Clubs

I have owned Corvettes in the past and have taken 2 Museum deliveries and also watched 2 of them being built. The tax, title, registration can be taken care of before you are at the factory to take delivery and you would just put on your temporary plate from your state and drive home. Its a pretty simple process and works well.
Sponsored