BigE

First Name
Eric
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicles
Acura MDX, Honda S2000, Tesla Model Y
I just did a quick look back at Rivian's winter testing up in MN. The Blue R1T look like it has 21" tires and the camo truck has 22's. With quad motor's and these all season tires, most people will be totally fine in winter driving.

TeslaDom

First Name
Dom
Reaction score
First Name
Dom
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD; 2018 BMW X3
Occupation
Sales
Thanks for the feedback, I originally ordered with 22" because I thought the 21" was ugly, now I changed it back to 21's .
I didn't realize those inserts were removable

Tim-in-CA

Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Telluride, T-Bird, R1S on Preorder
Thanks for the feedback, I originally ordered with 22" because I thought the 21" was ugly, now I changed it back to 21's .
I didn't realize those inserts were removable
Would be good to see what the 21's look like with the inserts removed and understand the impact to range.

EDIT : A quick google search of the Model 3 Aero wheel covers revealed a test that Car and Driver did which resulted in approx 3.4% range improvement with the covers vs the exposed multi-spoke rim. If the Rivian is similar, I'll be taking the inserts off the 21's!!!

Last edited:

Cactus

First Name
Doug
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicles
Feb 2014 Tesla Model S
Occupation
Professor
Although those 22s look very sexy, am I the only one that sees them and think pothole flat due to limited sidewall thickness?
I was thinking the same thing. They look cool, but one bad pothole and you've bent a rim. This is more of a problem with heavy vehicles.

Oak62

Reaction score
Vehicles
'14 C7 Z51
The competition all has giant wheels - see: Range Rover
Yep. I know a guy with a full size pickup (GM or Chevy) with 22's and the same size tires the R1T has and not only do they look really good, there is plenty of sidewall, and he says the ride is great and hasn't had any issues with bent rims, etc.

Advertisement

Advertisement