Facinating Rimac Video about Battery Tech

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner

Some of my takeaways:
- Like Rivian, Rimac also found that axial cooling is superior to radial
- The different variables in evaluating battery tech, such as: gravimetric/volumetric energy density, power density, charge time, cycle life, calendar life, cost, safety
- Battery energy density hasn't increased a large amounts in the last 10 years (but cost has dropped)
- Mate Rimac (founder and CEO) doesn't believe there's much chance of a revolutionary battery change in the next few years

If you enjoyed that video, they've got some other good ones too, the inverter one for example.
Sponsored

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
Wow, yes, a very interesting video on Rimac batteries and Mate Rimac, founder and CEO. He and RJ are like engineering-entrepreneur twins. It might be terrific if Rivian and Rimac could cooperate in the future. Mate's English is phenomenal. Presumably his first language is Serbian-Crotian.

He feels solid state batteries may become available relatively soon and that would be a good thing, even if it doesn't solve all of the different issues surrounding electric battery powered vehicles.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I don't know how I missed this before, but this is an AWESOME video.

Ought to make people feel better who are concerned about buying an EV now when there might be a "battery breakthrough" right around the corner.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Lithium ion was the revolution (worth a Nobel Prize). It's going to be evolution from here on in. Until, of course, the next revolution.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Awesome video! Definitely made me feel a little easier on owning when all these statements about better batteries are out there.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Yes, excellent video series.

I particularly love that the rear axle of the Rimac C_Two has evolved to the exact same configuration as Rivian. Check out episode 12. The link below jumps in at the discussion of the rear axle but the whole video is worth a watch.

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Taurus
Occupation
Product design engineer

Some of my takeaways:
- Like Rivian, Rimac also found that axial cooling is superior to radial
- The different variables in evaluating battery tech, such as: gravimetric/volumetric energy density, power density, charge time, cycle life, calendar life, cost, safety
- Battery energy density hasn't increased a large amounts in the last 10 years (but cost has dropped)
- Mate Rimac (founder and CEO) doesn't believe there's much chance of a revolutionary battery change in the next few years

If you enjoyed that video, they've got some other good ones too, the inverter one for example.
When I think of today’s electric car battery solutions, the following comes to mind:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_Goldberg

It does appear that some serious direction towards simplicity is required; if there is ever to be an acceptable solution to what currently exists as EV batteries.

The following is an example that highlights the complexity:

“How To Pick The Right Battery For An Electric Hypercar – www.APEX.one”

Sponsored