Sponsored

F150 Just became the dumbest choice in EV

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Gladiator, Porsche GT4, and a bunch of bikes
Clubs

I got my configuration email this week and just had to make this video. Curious to hear if any of you are even considering it now:

Sponsored

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
I think there are quite a few people who aren't shopping price and just want a fullsize electric truck. The Lariat will probably sell out for MY 2023 too.

clcbjc123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tahoe and Z07
Could you give me the cliff notes?

Sponsored

OP
OP
trez63

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Prices went up.
Orders on lower priced trims locked out.
Lightning is a stupid buy.

That's about it in a nutshell.
Great TL;DR
+ the new Model Y price will have downward pressure on all.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Pretty much just saying EVs are too expensive. Makes some comparisons to Lightening verses ICE, says R 1T is too expensive but did not look at the dual motor that is 8 k cheaper than the quad. To be honest if the small battery is going to be LFP that can be charged to 100% consistently that would probably work for a lot of people and would get you into one around 73k.

He made some good points about the downward trend of pricing on the action sites.

He did compare the price of the Model Y to the R1S but not sure how many people really think those are comparable vehicles to cross shop.

All in all nothing new in there.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I got my configuration email this week and just had to make this video. Curious to hear if any of you are even considering it now:

It’s not unique to Ford

Prices went up.
Lower price trims are locked out/not being produced (dual motor)
Rivian is a stupid buy.

:rolleyes:

The Lariat ER increased approximately $6,000 over the course of one year. A roughly 7.5% increase. That IMO is not unreasonable of Ford given todays inflation rates.

It doesn’t make it any more affordable but that’s where we are economically until it turns.

/rant

Now for the relevant.

Both trucks are amazing trucks. Each with a very different set of pros and cons.

Dollar for dollar, the 2022 F-150 Lightning Pro was a no brainer and clear winner when it came to value, but that’s not available.

Before owning my Lightning, dollar for dollar..no I wouldn’t have ordered a F-150 Lightning Lariat Extended Range over a R1T. Never would’ve happened.

Having owned both with the knowledge and experience I have now? Yea I might, but not as long as Ford is deleting options from the truck. Option deletions aside, it comes down to what do you want out of your truck? I can tell you there isn’t a clear winner for me, there are situations in both where I wish I was in the other.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
Great TL;DR
+ the new Model Y price will have downward pressure on all.
Model Y price will have no pressure on the F-150. Perhaps to a few that are not looking to actually use a truck for a truck.

Ford's 2023 price increase was really unfortunate, but people are still buying. Because all prices went up -- especially on trucks and other vehicles in high demand. My Lightning Lariat ER is only $5K more than the PowerBoost hybrid version or $6500 more than the ICE V6 and it's $10K cheaper than the Raptor R. I still took delivery of mine in December. I snuck in at the 11th hour to get the federal tax credit, plus I get a $3800 state tax credit on top of that. If my delivery would have slipped a few days, I would have missed out on almost $9K worth of tax credits as the Lightning Lariat no longer qualifies for the fed incentive in '23 and that state rebate reduces to $2500 for '23.

I should point out that my Lightning is actually the cheapest of any of those Ford F-150 options I mentioned above after factoring in the tax credits. ...too bad those are not the same for those buying this year.

The F-150 Lightning might be lacking some of the "cool" of the R1T, and doesn't have the nifty gear tunnel. But it is a full size truck with a lot more interior room, a much more usable frunk, and lots of power output options. For anyone who didn't reserve a Rivian before the March '22 price change, then the R1T and Lightning Lariat ER are comparably priced.

Ford has said the XLT will be available again in '23 and they will offer them up as they can secure availability as each wave opens. The Pro is sold out for '23. Ford says everyone who has a reservation will be invited by this summer for production by the end of the year. Those holding out for a Pro or XLT will be left in limbo for now. They say that anyone who does not order a truck in '23 will have their reservation canceled and deposit refunded. But they have also said that they will somehow take care of those who want to order a Pro -- no mention of XLT at this time as it's technically not fully sold out.. yet.

Ford or Rivian, these trucks are expensive. But they're both proving to be good trucks. Sadly I think both will age like sour milk. Next gen trucks from both Ford and Rivian are just 2 to 3 years out and will bring faster charging, more efficient battery pack design -- especially from Ford designing their new platform rather than she-horning a split pack into a slightly modified F-150 frame.

OP
OP
trez63

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I can tell you there isn’t a clear winner for me, there are situations in both where I wish I was in the other.
I totally agree with you here. They each have their place. Btw, The F150 Pro was originally announced at $40k and now is at $56k. That's a 40% markup. They collected most of those deposit based on that 1st number. The problem I have is that Ford makes an identical product for the ICE market at $31K.
The RIVIAN is well priced for the product IMO, but my point in the video was that it will have a hard time competing. But then others make a great point, no one is cross-shopping the model Y with the R1S. They might be doing so with the model X in which case the RIVIAN comes out on top by miles.

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
I totally agree with you here. They each have their place. Btw, The F150 Pro was originally announced at $40k and now is at $56k. That's a 40% markup. They collected most of those deposit based on that 1st number. The problem I have is that Ford makes an identical product for the ICE market at $31K.
The RIVIAN is well priced for the product IMO, but my point in the video was that it will have a hard time competing. But then others make a great point, no one is cross-shopping the model Y with the R1S. They might be doing so with the model X in which case the RIVIAN comes out on top by miles.
My Pro configured my way is now $62k. IMO it’s worth $60k as it’s still eligible for the tax rebates. A similarly equipped ICE would be about the same.

That said at $60k I wouldn’t have placed my order back then

The problem I have is that Ford makes an identical product for the ICE market at $31K.
They don’t, a lot of people assume they do but it’s not close. Not if you’re comparing with the same equipment.

Do a build, the cheapest SuperCrew starts at $40,640 for an XL.

Base: $40,640
4x4:
XL High Equipment Group
STC Appearance Package

That’s already a $49,575 MSRP.

You’re still missing dual zone automatic climate control. Silly things like wheel liners. The upgraded 12” touchscreen. The increased speed. The skid plates. Locking rear diff. The 2.4kW of onboard power. The LED taillights and headlights that turn. Or heck..a hitch.

At $56k -$7500 tax credit or $48,500 the F-150 Lightning is still a bargain compared to the gas version - like for like. You can get it cheaper but it won’t be anywhere near as well equipped as the Pro Lightning. You need to step up to the Lariat ICE just to get the 12” screen as an example.

The base XL, heck even the XLT is that bare. It’s uncomfortable, loud, and it feels like a Home Depot or U-Haul rental truck. That’s before you start talking about the speed, the frunk, etc. It’s a completely different drive than the Lightning. The Lightning is quieter and smoother than the Lexus I had, it’s quite impressive. But the ICE version and the Lightning sure do look the same.

Last edited:

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
the only thing stupid in buying a lightning is accepting the chip deletes. I want the Platinum and would accept a Lariat, but I'm not paying 98k to not have a heated steering wheel.

I guess I should have made a video too when I declined to complete my Lightning order last week.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
the only thing stupid in buying a lightning is accepting the chip deletes. I want the Platinum and would accept a Lariat, but I'm not paying 98k to not have a heated steering wheel.

I guess I should have made a video too when I declined to complete my Lightning order last week.
And the silly amounts they credit you for. It’s a $500 option but they’ll credit you $50 for not having it.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
The base XL, heck even the XLT is that bare. It’s uncomfortable, loud, and it feels like a Home Depot or U-Haul rental truck. That’s before you start talking about the speed, the frunk, etc. It’s a completely different drive than the Lightning. The Lightning is quieter and smoother than the Lexus I had, it’s quite impressive. But the ICE version and the Lightning sure do look the same.
YMMV... my F-150h XLT+ is almost as comfortable as my R1S and not loud at all. The tow package works great and I can even charge my R1S directly from my F-150.

FWIW, the last Lexus I owned felt like driving a bucket of wallpaper paste.

I've test driven the Lighting (LAriat) and it is a quieter ride than my F-150h but not by much.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

I'm on the waiting list for five different EV trucks, and one ICE. Don't have time for the video, but if someone - anyone - would ever produce one in an actual WT configuration with an 8' bed, that'll be the truck that's "a keeper" for me. Even if it's a Ford, LOL. 🤷🤣
Sponsored