Sponsored

F-150 Lightning will also vehicle-to-vehicle charge

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Kind of contradictory to say (paraphrasing) "it's not a useful feature" and "you'd need others to have it to be viable." The more vehicles that add this as a feature the more viable it becomes as a possible solution if you run out of juice. Emergency charge services are great, but what's wrong with having other options? Especially for an off-roader, I suspect most charge services wouldn't be able to get everywhere an R1 can get. The more options the better.
Not contradictory, because I qualified the first statement by saying "even if you ever did need it". The point is that people run out of juice as often or likely less often than they run out of gas, and it's entirely within your control. Even if 100% of vehicles on the road were capable of V2V charging, it would rarely be used, just like if everyone carried jerry cans of gas in their cars, you'd rarely see people pouring it into stranger's gas tanks on the side of the road.

Offroading is the only real potential use for it, but again it will rarely be used because you don't want to be in that position so you will do everything to avoid it. But still, even if 100% of offroaders used it on 100% of their trips, that still qualifies as rarely in my book when thinking about the 8 billion people on earth driving 10-15k miles a year. Something that 0.5% of the population will use 0.5% of the time is rare. I'd say the same thing about a 20kwh portable battery that you could charge your vehicle at AC speeds and be small enough to put in your backseat. That would rarely be used, though I'm sure many would think it's cool and buy it.

That doesn't mean people won't perceive value in it as insurance, that's the definition of insurance - something you hope you never need.
Sponsored

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist
Nice to add to the brochure, but I'm not sure it has wide applicability in the real world. The V2L and V2H/V2G are far more practical.
Would love to charge an electric dirt bike or jet ski...or be able to help a fellow EV driver.