Retired Engineer
Called it...
Sponsored

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Where all them folk at saying they gonna get their Lightning before their Rivian?
Right here.

Is there anything in that very unofficial forum post that makes you think Lightning holders won't get their Lightning before the R1T... Because I don't see anything in that post to change my prediction.

I'm a day 1 lightning reservation holder.

Do you really think a Rivian reservation placed in 2021 will be fulfilled first? I should have a lightning by the end of 2022, but I doubt I get a Rivian until the end of 2023.

Of course these are current estimates, and it would not be surprising if one or both companies delayed deliveries again.

Last edited:

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

My situation will be a strong indicator... my L.E. R1T window is May-June and I have a very early Lightning reservation. I believe Rivian will be trending towards the far extreme if not leaking past delivery windows. It's a horse-race in my mind for what my electric truck will be.

ChrissyOne

First Name
Chrissy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX350, R1T Pre-order
Occupation
Creative Production Manager at Wizards of the Coast
It makes sense now! Elon's simply such a visionary, that he realized that Cybertruck is how *all* vehicles will look once it finally roles off the line.
My favorite part about his futuristic design is how it came from a 40 year old movie about the future of 2 years ago.

Sponsored

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
My situation will be a strong indicator... my L.E. R1T window is May-June and I have a very early Lightning reservation. I believe Rivian will be trending towards the far extreme if not leaking past delivery windows. It's a horse-race in my mind for what my electric truck will be.
It's still amazes me that delivery timing can be the deciding factor between two very different vehicles. Seems like I'd wait however long it took to get the vehicle I want, but I guess it's a toss-up for some between them.

Is there any indication that order date will mean much for the Ford? Given they will have such limited supply in the first year, and comments they've made about allocating as they see fit, it seems like a day one order could take up to a year or more to actually get it once they start delivering. Just like the Rivian, start of deliveries doesn't necessarily mean everyone....

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Do you really think a Rivian reservation placed in 2021 will be fulfilled first? I should have a lightning by the end of 2022, ,but I doubt I get a Rivian until the end of 2023.
There's a very real chance that almost every F150 Lightning delivery in 2022 will be to fleet customers. You're a day 1 reservation, but aren't there literally tens of thousands of others right there with you? The last update before this said 15k Lightnings produced in 2022, with production starting in the spring. Now this is saying production has slipped some, which would also suggest that they'll likely produce fewer trucks in 2022.

You may very well be able to get a Lightning before a Rivian, but I'm not sure it'll be a full year earlier. I will be surprised if more than a few thousand retail customers get their Lightning in 2022, and there will be thousands of day 1 reservations that are pushed well into 2023.

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

ERguy:
Yes. Of course reservation date makes a difference. The vast majority of Lightning reservation holders will not get a Lightning in 2022. The same is true for Rivian pre order holders.

Lucky you.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
A reservation placed today for a Rivian will most likely take delivery at least a year, maybe two, before a reservation placed for a Lightning at the same time.

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

It's still amazes me that delivery timing can be the deciding factor between two very different vehicles. Seems like I'd wait however long it took to get the vehicle I want, but I guess it's a toss-up for some between them.
Happy to "amaze you" with my situation!

Yes, the differences between these EV trucks are significant. Each has strong suits and drawbacks. I can see myself being totally pleased with either one. From a practicality standpoint the F150 wins hands-down. Ford's towing tech (built-in scales, auto-adjusting range, trailer assist backup etc) is very appealing for a towing rookie like myself approaching retirement - with visions of hauling an adventure trailer around the country. Of course, as a standout performer (on & off road) the R1T is untouchable. The saving-the-planet vibe is also cool. Like I said, can't go wrong either way.

I find it oddly peaceful taking the position that I will purchase whichever one comes my way first. Relieves that nagging uncertainty of which to pick.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Happy to "amaze you" with my situation!

Yes, the differences between these EV trucks are significant. Each has strong suits and drawbacks. I can see myself being totally pleased with either one. From a practicality standpoint the F150 wins hands-down. Ford's towing tech (built-in scales, auto-adjusting range, trailer assist backup etc) is very appealing for a towing rockie like myself approaching retirement - with visions of hauling an adventure trailer around the country. Of course, as a standout performer (on & off road) the R1T is untouchable. The saving-the-planet vibe is also cool. Like I said, can't go wrong either way.

I find it oddly peaceful taking the position that I will purchase whichever one comes my way first. Relieves that nagging uncertainty of which to pick.
Fair enough. Flexibility is a valuable weapon.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

I absolutely still believe my Day 1 Lightning Preorder (May 15 or 19?) will be available before my July 2021 R1S preorder. The question is, with so many other BEV SUVs and trucks being unveiled in the next 12 months—will I decide to actually buy either one?

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
RIGHT!!! DONT WORRY - WE'LL WAIT!!! LOL!!!
Yes you will wait. Keep on waiting. Wait it out. That’s all anyone has done thus far.

Zach05855

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace