OP

GOFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, Acura TLX, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
https://jalopnik.com/here-are-the-options-to-check-if-you-want-your-ford-lig-1848300647

Here Are The Options To Check If You Want Your Ford Lightning To Be As Expensive As A Rivian R1T
Quoting the article from jalopnik:

“The XLT is the second trim level up the range and starts at $52,974. Among other things, it adds a surround-view camera system, as well as an eight-way power-adjustable cloth seat (but only for the driver.) If you want the extended range battery — which lifts maximum distance on a charge from 230 miles to 300 and output from 426 horsepower to 523 — you’ll have to budget another $10K. That puts you at about $63K; for reference, the R1T starts at $67,500.”

Looks like they missed the part about having to upgrade packages on the XLT before getting ER battery. It’s really $73K for an XLT with ER Battery.
Sponsored

Roma

First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM
If charging stations will be built near hardware stores, then a large package is not needed.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
That’s the issue . Large pack(300 mile) is really a 19K upgrade.
One truck tows more, and can go farther, but you might be surprised which one it is. I don't think anything about the lightning XLT is worth 73k (33k price hike).

Rivian R1T R1S F-150 Lightning announced pricing pushing buyers to Rivian 1641354539988

Rivian R1T R1S F-150 Lightning announced pricing pushing buyers to Rivian 1641354496750

Sponsored

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
Ford is going to sell every Lightning they make. And at scale to boot.
No doubt about that. If I could order the pro with a single cab 8ft bed I would take the 200 mile range and had a truck in 20 weeks but they aren't configuring that yet so I passed.

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
One truck tows more, and can go farther, but you might be surprised which one it is. I don't think anything about the lightning XLT is worth 73k (33k price hike).

1641354539988.jpg

1641354496750.jpg
I recall a statement that the vast majority of R1T buyers don't own a Pickup now. I would venture to say the vast majority of EV F-150 buyers already own a pickup.
It is going to be really interesting what the two different groups are saying a year from now.

StarTrekNerd

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Medical Clerk
As I just mentioned in another Lightning thread, Ford's initial pricing seems to have been a bit of a Loss Leader to get deposits/people in the door. The promise of $40,000 BEV Trucks by both Ford and Tesla seems disingenuous. Not only are they unlikely to be produced in any large numbers, but the needed add-ons and upgrades to come anywhere close to what the Rivian is, or can do, is quite sizable.

I hope you're right that it brings about tens of thousands of more reservations for Rivian.
Although, for approx same price the Tri Motor CT does have an edge on the R1T.

Even the Dual Motor is nearly the same towing capacity as the R1T.

r1t_kev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek

The CT could tow a billion pounds and cost $5 - I still wouldn't have one.

StarTrekNerd

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Medical Clerk
Well to each their own.

Some people just want the perfect tool and aren't bound to such shallowness.

Besides the CT is awesome looking. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I also know younger people are more forgiving with the looks and actually think it's fairly sexy. Which means it will sell.

The R1S is a hot SUV. Hope the problems with phantom drain and braking are fixed.

Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
For argument's sake Tesla could claim that the CT could do that, and it would be no closer to a reality than what they "have" now.

r1t_kev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
Well to each their own.

Some people just want the perfect tool and aren't bound to such shallowness.

Besides the CT is awesome looking. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I also know younger people are more forgiving with the looks and actually think it's fairly sexy. Which means it will sell.

The R1S is a hot SUV. Hope the problems with phantom drain and braking are fixed.
Fair. For me and my hard earned bucks, my car/truck/motorcycle needs to have a certain amount of sex appeal to me. I've learned that most people don't like what I like and that's fine. I just have a hard time wrapping my head around the CT design - even if I try to appreciate it from a utilitarian point of view. About the only positive thing I can say is that it sure creates conversation!

Same reason that I'm not interested in the Lightning - there's nothing that evokes desire in me. It just looks like another F-series and maybe that's the point. At least it doesn't make me want to wretch like the CT does.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Paper, vapor, and future-shaper are three different things. Like you, and most everyone here, I hope Tesla is able to deliver the performance they've talked about since the debut of the CT prototype. If they pull off delivering on their dream, it will rock the automotive world much more than it has already.

How will the actual vehicles compare to the prototype? I guess we'll see how all that plays out, along with the actual pricing for the various iterations. What will they charge to unlock power, range, driver-assist/FSD, and other goodies?

As strange and unappealing as the CyberTruck looks to me now, I'll be excited to see the real thing in the wild, one day. What's your over/under on when we might first catch a view of one of them in the hands of a civilian, rolling around our towns? Also, what's your best guess for the full, out-the-door price of an actual base model, no-extras "$40,000" CT?

I really do want the CT to be a success. I'm just skeptical that we'll see them anytime in the near future, and for the bold pricing we've heard about.

One thing about Elon, he always keeps it interesting and entertaining.

JulianD

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Range Rover Sport, 2017 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG
Occupation
Accountant
I test drove a 2021 Ford F150 XLT Roush on Saturday and it is a really nice truck. I liked everything about it with one huge exception, the exhaust. They put a loud exhaust on this truck that just drones into the cabin anytime your foot is on the accelerator and it is annoyingly loud. It sounds great outside the truck but the amount of noise inside the cabin is just too much. It would be tiring on longer drives for sure. Anyway, the truck itself is a very nice place to be otherwise. I can see why Ford sells so many of them.

I have zero interest in the Cybertruck. It just looks ridiculous.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Ford is going to sell every Lightning they make. And at scale to boot.
This would be true if the base/cheapest model becomes widely available to all. If it doesn't, I do not see Ford selling exactly every New Lightning they make. I will admit they will sell a good majority of them.
Sponsored