Sponsored

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
Rivian's value prop had better be higher because they don't have the brand to back up what they are selling. Nobody would look at Rivian if it only matched what Ford was doing. It has to be a superior product and it has to be a superior value in order to overcome the loss-aversion bias against a well-known brand.
Besides, if Rivian goes out of business in 5 years we'll be left with a truck that no one wants to service and a warranty that will not exist. That's a huge... what's the opposite of "value proposition"?... suck factor?
Sponsored

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Besides, if Rivian goes out of business in 5 years we'll be left with a truck that no one wants to service and a warranty that will not exist. That's a huge... what's the opposite of "value proposition"?... suck factor?
You could say the same about GM or Ford to some degree honestly.... But in either case, they don't just vanish into thin air. Rivian won't ever just go out of business, they would be bought by someone else and all of this would be inherited.

fotoflux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Onewheel
You could say the same about GM or Ford to some degree honestly.... But in either case, they don't just vanish into thin air. Rivian won't ever just go out of business, they would be bought by someone else and all of this would be inherited.
Anybody remember Fisker. I wonder what happened to the original Fisker cars when the company folded years back. I don't think there was much warranty support of any kind.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Anybody remember Fisker. I wonder what happened to the original Fisker cars when the company folded years back. I don't think there was much warranty support of any kind.
Bought by a Chinese investment firm and they still sell them as the Karma Revero:
Karma Automotive | Luxury Electric Cars
They look unchanged for the most part, so Fisker Karma owners may be able to but parts?

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I actually know a guy who still has one and is driving it. I think he has someone in LA who can service it, but I'll ask him. I'm curious too. I doubt the new company wants anything to do with the old cars in terms of service and support.

Sponsored

Spiffster

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 (Sold), Ford Fusion Energi
Comparing Fisker to Rivian is insane... not even in the same ballpark. Rivian is backed by Ford and Amazon. Not to mention the quality difference is night and day. Fisker was selling a friggin sports sedan PHEV vs SUV and Truck. Vastly more popular products in the US (just about anywhere else really). Silly to compare the two, it really is.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I just got a call from my Listed Ford dealer apologizing for the contact I got last night and assuring me there would not be a mark up on a pre-ordered vehicle. So we'll see.

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
My configured Lightning (Platinum) is almost exactly the same price as my configured R1T (Max+RTT+Kitchen)... I'm playing both options but hope to get the R1T first.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
The Lightning Pro with vegan leather (vinyl) and a few options is an incredible value, especially after tax incentives.

I'm literally thinking of ordering & following through with it. I'll pay ~$1500 to have Katzkin leather & aftermarket seat heaters installed. With the Pro Power, I feel good about being able to use it for emergency backup as well (without V2H if needed).

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The Lightning Pro with vegan leather (vinyl) and a few options is an incredible value, especially after tax incentives.

I'm literally thinking of ordering & following through with it. I'll pay ~$1500 to have Katzkin leather & aftermarket seat heaters installed. With the Pro Power, I feel good about being able to use it for emergency backup as well (without V2H if needed).
I think it's fairly priced and I agree that it has a lot of great features. Personally I don't want leather, on any car, but it's super easy to get upgraded Katzkins for an F-150 not to mention so many other after market options for F-150s because of how many there are on the road.

For me, I like the Rivian form factor with it's slightly smaller size and overall design but I'm keeping my order with the Lightning and looking forward to driving it. If Rivian keeps slipping on their delivery and the Lightning comes in first I'll buy it and then sell it to a family member when the Rivian is available.

Sponsored

OP
OP

GOFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, Acura TLX, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I think it's fairly priced and I agree that it has a lot of great features. Personally I don't want leather, on any car, but it's super easy to get upgraded Katzkins for an F-150 not to mention so many other after market options for F-150s because of how many there are on the road.

For me, I like the Rivian form factor with it's slightly smaller size and overall design but I'm keeping my order with the Lightning and looking forward to driving it. If Rivian keeps slipping on their delivery and the Lightning comes in first I'll buy it and then sell it to a family member when the Rivian is available.
You could do that unless Ford follows through with no resale provision.
Rivian R1T R1S F-150 Lightning announced pricing pushing buyers to Rivian A57945C8-4604-47AB-BA6D-B25BEA354EA2

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You could do that unless Ford follows through with no resale provision.
A57945C8-4604-47AB-BA6D-B25BEA354EA2.jpeg
Haha -yeah good luck to them with that. That has to be added by the dealer and you'd have to be insane to agree to it. If I pay cash for the vehicle I can do whatever I want with it in California after I take possession.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I absolutely love that many people here have voiced that they'll be buying both a Rivian and one or more of the other new electric truck offerings. That tipping point for EVs becoming normalized gets closer with every EV that people see in motion around them. I remember when every head turned as a Tesla rolled up. Now I'm more likely to hear someone comment about Tesla's nice colors or maybe their wheel options. In other words, they're talked about like every other car.

I'm looking forward to the day that similar, mundane conversations revolve around various electric pickups and SUVs:

Billy: "Are those 21-inch All-Terrain tires on that Rivian?"

Bob: "Yeah, they sure are!"

Billy: "I wonder who makes them?"

Bob: "Pirelli"

Billy: "I can see that, dumbass! I mean the Rivian!"

I feel the same way about charging stations. Once they're seen everywhere and none of them are opened with a ribbon-cutting ceremony that features politicians making speeches and kissing babies, we will have arrived at a better place. A better place for the Earth....and those babies.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I absolutely love that many people here have voiced that they'll be buying both a Rivian and one or more of the other new electric truck offerings. That tipping point for EVs becoming normalized gets closer with every EV that people see in motion around them. I remember when every head turned as a Tesla rolled up. Now I'm more likely to hear someone comment about Tesla's nice colors or maybe their wheel options. In other words, they're talked about like every other car.

I'm looking forward to the day that similar, mundane conversations revolve around various electric pickups and SUVs:

Billy: "Are those 21-inch All-Terrain tires on that Rivian?"

Bob: "Yeah, they sure are!"

Billy: "I wonder who makes them?"

Bob: "Pirelli"

Billy: "I can see that, dumbass! I mean the Rivian!"

I feel the same way about charging stations. Once they're seen everywhere and none of them are opened with a ribbon-cutting ceremony that features politicians making speeches and kissing babies, we will have arrived at a better place. A better place for the Earth....and those babies.
I’ve had a Tesla for many years and it completely changed the way I look at a car. But we still have gas vehicles because we need to do truck things with our horses etc.

I’m so looking forward to having EV truck options and I hope they are all successful products. But for me the Rivian is still the most coveted at the moment.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer