Sponsored

GOFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, Acura TLX, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I’ve been following several Lightning forums. Ford just released pricing for the Lightning and a lot of reservation holders are unhappy. The XLT with Extended Range (300 miles) comes in at $73K and doesn’t even include leather. The Lariat with ER comes in at $79K……Rivian’s value proposition is much higher than Ford here. I’m guessing Rivian reservations increase.

I just hope Rivian doesn’t raise their prices to align with Ford.
Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I’ve been following several Lightning forums. Ford just released pricing for the Lightning and a lot of reservation holders are unhappy. The XLT with Extended Range (300 miles) comes in at $73K and doesn’t even include leather. The Lariat with ER comes in at $79K……Rivian’s value proposition is much higher than Ford here. I’m guessing Rivian reservations increase.

I just hope Rivian doesn’t raise their prices to align with Ford.
As I just mentioned in another Lightning thread, Ford's initial pricing seems to have been a bit of a Loss Leader to get deposits/people in the door. The promise of $40,000 BEV Trucks by both Ford and Tesla seems disingenuous. Not only are they unlikely to be produced in any large numbers, but the needed add-ons and upgrades to come anywhere close to what the Rivian is, or can do, is quite sizable.

I hope you're right that it brings about tens of thousands of more reservations for Rivian.

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
As I just mentioned in another Lightning thread, Ford's initial pricing seems to have been a bit of a Loss Leader to get deposits/people in the door. The promise of $40,000 BEV Trucks by both Ford and Tesla seems disingenuous. Not only are they unlikely to be produced in any large numbers, but the needed add-ons and upgrades to come anywhere close to what the Rivian is, or can do, is quite sizable.

I hope you're right that it brings about tens of thousands of more reservations for Rivian.
Still seems too early to tell what's going to happen. In theory, Ford should be able to ramp production of the Lightning quickly given how much the Lightning shares with the ICE 150 and their long history and experience building trucks.

If so, Ford may actually take more R1T preorder holders than Rivian will take Lightning preorder holders. For the cost of an R1T, you can spec out a pretty nice Lightning. For the price, the R1T checks more of my boxes, but from the Lightning forums I see many prefer the Lightning over the R1T.

I'd love to know what the Venn diagram overlap is for Lightning and R1T preorders --i.e., of those with both Lighting and R1T preorders, how many would be swayed to purchase one over the other depending on availability. I'm in that Venn diagram overlap and, if offered to purchase either a Lighting Lariat or R1T Adventure today, I would pick the R1T.

Should be interesting to see how things play out.

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Why is Rivians value proposition better? Because you personally like Rivian better? $73k doesn't include leather... does Rivian offer leather at all? You can call it "Vegan leather" to sound cool but it's not a special material.

It's all in the eye of the buyer. If nothing else.. being made by a company that has actually built cars before is a pretty big sell over Rivian. To each their own.

Clickbaity thread title.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
The promise of $40,000 BEV Trucks by both Ford and Tesla seems disingenuous.
Agree! Many of us had been saying that about the CT ever since it was announced at the specs and price point. Then Telsa quietly removes the specs and pricing from the web site. The writing has been and is on the wall. But if you even mention that to a CT die hard fan, they explode in anger. SMHL.

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Still seems too early to tell what's going to happen. In theory, Ford should be able to ramp production of the Lightning quickly given how much the Lightning shares with the ICE 150 and their long history and experience building trucks.

If so, Ford may actually take more R1T preorder holders than Rivian will take Lightning preorder holders. For the cost of an R1T, you can spec out a pretty nice Lightning. For the price, the R1T checks more of my boxes, but from the Lightning forums I see many prefer the Lightning over the R1T.

I'd love to know what the Venn diagram overlap is for Lightning and R1T preorders --i.e., of those with both Lighting and R1T preorders, how many would be swayed to purchase one over the other depending on availability. I'm in that Venn diagram overlap and, if offered to purchase either a Lighting Lariat or R1T Adventure today, I would pick the R1T.

AllInev,

When asked if I'm "a 'Glass half full' or 'Glass half empty' kind of guy?", I usually reply "The glass isn't big enough." Accordingly, while people will shift from one to the other between the Lightning and the R1T, I'm guessing that with both of them garnering so much media attention, they'll collectively draw in more people that were headed down their normal path towards the purchase of an ICE-Truck.

That said, some people already in the EV camp will ebb and flow between these two iterations. I'm locked into the Rivian. Ford pickups have been around almost twice as long as I have, but they've never tempted me. They just doesn't inspire me in any way. To each, their own, I guess, but it's R1T4ME!

OP
OP

GOFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, Acura TLX, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Why is Rivians value proposition better? Because you personally like Rivian better? $73k doesn't include leather... does Rivian offer leather at all? You can call it "Vegan leather" to sound cool but it's not a special material.

It's all in the eye of the buyer. If nothing else.. being made by a company that has actually built cars before is a pretty big sell over Rivian. To each their own.

Clickbaity thread title.
True. I’ve had interior equivalent to Vegan Leather and can’t tell the difference except the Vegan is easier to maintain.
In addition to the Leather, Rivian provides several other features - gear tunnel, power tonneau cover, gear guard, more horsepower, more torque, more towing capacity. Ford has yet to release official range numbers.

After official pricing on Lightning came out today, I know I’m solidly in the Rivian camp.

Edited to add: R1T also won Motortrend truck of the year and several other accolades. I haven’t seen anyone comment negative on Rivian quality.

fotoflux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Onewheel
People will buy Ford's F150 because of the brand. No question. People pay more for Mercedes because of the brand. the F150, specifically is one of the top 2 truck brands. People will pay a price premium rather than face the loss of "prestige" with an unknown brand or 2nd tier brand like Honda (in the truck world).

Rivian's value prop had better be higher because they don't have the brand to back up what they are selling. Nobody would look at Rivian if it only matched what Ford was doing. It has to be a superior product and it has to be a superior value in order to overcome the loss-aversion bias against a well-known brand.

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations

How exactly are people going to move their pre-orders to Ford, when Ford has closed their pre-order system because they drastically underestimated demand?

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I doubt the Ford pricing will move many people to Rivian, maybe to GM tomorrow (no federal tax incentives) to repeat the process when GM is ready to deliver, they don't like the prices, and GM dealers play games, and then onto RAM for a repeat. The prices between Rivian and Ford don't seem too far off to me. To me, it seems more like people will be more likely to buy an ICE truck. Some people will prefer Ford due to the size/work theme/familiarity/dealer network (can be good or bad), others want Rivian due to size/marketing/its new/tech/performance/dealer network. And then some will just buy whatever comes in first, and then make another decision when the next one comes in. I haven't been following the Lightning much, but the prices didn't seem like much of a shock to me. I think some reserved and the reality of paying $70k-$80k starts to set in when Ford finally announced pricing.

Sponsored

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

Clickbaity thread title.
560 hp dual motor vs. 800hp quad motor?

linkwpc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2016 CMax, 2001 Saleen, 2002 GS300
Clubs

Don't forget about dealer markup! This is going to happen a lot! Once people see what the final price out the door is, they are not going to buy it.

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

Don't forget about dealer markup! This is going to happen a lot! Once people see what the final price out the door is, they are not going to buy it.
Totally agree.

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

I saw a report a couple of days ago that said they've seen as much as $30K in some cases.

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs