First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Besides canceling the Model S Plaid+ because the Plaid was as quick as the Plaid+ spec was fine, because it would have had a longer range is a loss.
It was supposed to have 520 miles of range.
Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Gonna need a memory upgrade to store my growing ignore list.
I feel you. I was sad that I had to add a fellow star trek fan to the ignore list.

StarTrekNerd

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Medical Clerk
You literally said younger millennial and all Gen Z, which is an age group from 10 to later 20s if you’re trickling into early millennial. Are these the people CT is targeting? Or any EV truck? Doubt it.
Well, my original quote was about skewing towards younger people. As in middle age and younger.

When someone, I think SeaGeo, said Millennials don't like it. (Paraphrasing) I responded with a varried account, basically the younger the cohort, the higher percentage like it.

You then said before and just now basically kids won't be buying it (paraphrasing).

And my response was Millennials and older Gen Z aren't kids:

Millennials are 40-25
Gen Z 24-6

"Older Gen Z" would be later half, so 24-15, those in driving age, and soon to be able to influence purchasing trends.

If you think 40-15yo has no influence with design you'd be missing a large demographic.

Baby Boomers and Gen X will be a waning purchasing group and setting design standards for all vehicles based on these two waning cohorts would be myopic.

I don’t know that one guy, having issues with essentially a pre-release vehicle, warrants much concern.
Yes, I hope so too. I want a R1S

StarTrekNerd

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical Clerk

StarTrekNerd

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical Clerk

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

StarTrekNerd

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical Clerk
Fair enough. That's now how I interpreted your statement.
Apologies for the long threads, context doesn't go through on forums.

I normally have to defend all EVs on Stock twits and Twitter, not looking for infighting on this forum.

LLAP, hopefully in an EV

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Baby Boomers and Gen X will be a waning purchasing group and setting design standards for all vehicles based on these two waning cohorts would be myopic.
It will be quite a few years before both of these largest and wealthiest consumers wane away. The Boomers were the largest and wealthiest demographic, until being replaced by GenX in numbers at least.

It would be foolish to ignore this massive purchasing power, especially given their love for driving automobiles. Mommy and Daddy may also be purchasing junior's rig, if they should be so lucky.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Peashooter is back, I see.

Rivian R1T R1S F-150 Lightning announced pricing pushing buyers to Rivian 1641931202078

Sponsored

StarTrekNerd

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical Clerk
It will be quite a few years before both of these largest and wealthiest consumers wane away. The Boomers were the largest and wealthiest demographic, until being replaced by GenX in numbers at least.

It would be foolish to ignore this massive purchasing power, especially given their love for driving automobiles. Mommy and Daddy may also be purchasing junior's rig, if they should be so lucky.
Not to sound dramatic but the youngest Boomer is currently 58, and the oldest is 76. Many Boomers may only make one more vehicle purchase. And it may not be any EV truck.

Last edited:

r1t_kev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
Millennials are 40-25
Gen Z 24-6

"Older Gen Z" would be later half, so 24-15, those in driving age, and soon to be able to influence purchasing trends.
With any luck, the CT will be out in another 10 years when these folks are ready and able to buy. Anecdotally, most younger people (24-15 to use your age group) aren't in a position to plunk down $40k+ for an EV - the CT will be at least that. So are all of the other EV trucks, with realistic pricing more in the $70k+ range.

Agreed and already are, depending on the market. I think it's equally myopic to think that younger generations don't/won't desire something of slightly more "conventional" aesthetic. Holding the CT up as the bellwether of future design and purchasing trends is a bit of a stretch. For something to be a mass success, it needs mass appeal. If the idea is to convert people to EV, the CT is going to fall short because it's so polarizing. Lightning, R1T, and GM's offerings have more conversion power, because they're more conventional. More like an adult vehicle than a teenage design exercise.

I hope they're all a massive success, if I'm honest; I just think if they are, it's not because of people in the 24-15 age group. FWIW I'm 38 - fully 'old' millennial.

StarTrekNerd

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical Clerk
With any luck, the CT will be out in another 10 years when these folks are ready and able to buy. Anecdotally, most younger people (24-15 to use your age group) aren't in a position to plunk down $40k+ for an EV - the CT will be at least that. So are all of the other EV trucks, with realistic pricing more in the $70k+ range.

Agreed and already are, depending on the market. I think it's equally myopic to think that younger generations don't/won't desire something of slightly more "conventional" aesthetic. Holding the CT up as the bellwether of future design and purchasing trends is a bit of a stretch. For something to be a mass success, it needs mass appeal. If the idea is to convert people to EV, the CT is going to fall short because it's so polarizing. Lightning, R1T, and GM's offerings have more conversion power, because they're more conventional. More like an adult vehicle than a teenage design exercise.

I hope they're all a massive success, if I'm honest; I just think if they are, it's not because of people in the 24-15 age group. FWIW I'm 38 - fully 'old' millennial.
As the Elder Millennial here at 40, born after MTV is my dividing line of late '81 though all of '81 is the start year by most demographers, I think it will sell plenty with more reservations than any other EV truck.

It's not really humourous to think Tesla has brought out each of their vehicles with less than 4 years after unveiling, and you seem to think it will take Tesla 12 years for the CyberTruck.

r1t_kev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
As the Elder Millennial here at 40, born after MTV is my dividing line of late '81, I think it will sell plenty with more reservations than any other EV truck.

It's not really humourous to think Tesla has brought out each of their vehicles with less than 4 years after unveiling, and you seem to think it will take Tesla 12 years for the CyberTruck.
I was being a bit facetious - even if it's out in another 2 years, how many 15-24 year olds will be ready to buy one? Especially if it's out that soon. And Tesla was giving out 'reservations' for $100 a pop IIRC - which is little more than a raised hand. Hell, if I was 18 I might have signed up just to brag that I had a reservation...I just would have been eating noodles for a couple of weeks to do it.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
As the Elder Millennial here at 40, born after MTV is my dividing line of late '81 though all of '81 is the start year by most demographers, I think it will sell plenty with more reservations than any other EV truck.

Tesla said they'd be delivering CTs by end of 2021... Granted every other EV seems to have been delayed, but Tesla still hasn't shown a "road legal" version that they could think about producing.

Maybe it'll happen, eventually, but it was certainly vaporware when they made their announcement.
Sponsored