Sponsored

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
I bet they'll widen up their packages in 2023 for the different battery sizes. Right now is about getting some 40k trucks out the and a shit ton of specced out Lariats and Platinum trucks.
That's "IF" they manage to put out some of those $40k trucks. For some reason, I see fleets getting these vs the average consumer. Part of me hopes I am wrong.
Sponsored

StarTrekNerd

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Medical Clerk
I would jump into this discussion but, being a laggard, neo-Luddite resident of Texas, I’m still trying to figure this internet thing out. I’m starting to think this thing will actually take off and be broadly used.
?

StarTrekNerd

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical Clerk
Don't worry friend, millions of very superior Californians are moving to Texas to help drag you out of the 19th century and update your draconian laws! You'll be able to buy brisket with Dogecoin any day now.
Melodramatic much?

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
With the pandemic, supply chain issues and now chip shortage I'm willing to give all EVs a break.

But saying Tesla made vaporware is just ridiculous. You're acting like Tesla is Lordstown here, or worse Nikola, having the CT pushed down the track.

There's drone footage of the CT on the Fremont proving track. Jay Leno has driven it. It's certainly very much real.

I wouldn't call it vaporware in the traditional sense. But in the sense Tesla does what they always do to grab free press and build hype then figure out how to actually build the "thing" at scale. The Cybertruck is no more real than the 2020 Roadster annouced years prior that one can still place a $5k reservation on as of today. Not to say it won't be real, I believe it's coming at some point. It's just they won't be "first" so there's no rush. Might as well continue to build hype and drop little hints on twitter to up the stock price while the horde eagerly waits for the next look at it. And its a win for the perspective Cybertruck buyer, if competition didn't exist I doubt 4 wheel steering and an air suspension would've been added.

StarTrekNerd

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical Clerk
I wouldn't call it vaporware in the traditional sense. But in the sense Tesla does what they always do to grab free press and build hype then figure out how to actually build the "thing" at scale. The Cybertruck is no more real than the 2020 Roadster annouced years prior that one can still place a $5k reservation on as of today. Not to say it won't be real, I believe it's coming at some point. It's just they won't be "first" so there's no rush. Might as well continue to build hype and drop little hints on twitter to up the stock price while the horde eagerly waits for the next look at it. And its a win for the perspective Cybertruck buyer, if competition didn't exist I doubt 4 wheel steering and an air suspension would've been added.
Oh competition is of course the best for consumers. Certainly the Hummers crab walk influenced the CT's new spec, as well as Rivian's tank turn. I hope they all compete with each other giving us all better EVs all the time.

We can only imagine what the final will be like.

Some might not know here but the time between Unveiling and Debut for the Model S and Model X was 3 years 9 months each.

The Model 3 was 5 quarters and Model Y a little over 4 quarters between unveil and debut.

Currently the CyberTruck was unveilied 2 years 2 months ago. If it wasn't for the pandemic shutdowns and delays, supply chain issues and chip shortage the CT may be here already. Again, I would give any EV, and gas company even allowance for delays. All this and the CyberTruck seems to be very different design than a standard EV skateboard chassis. That too adds complexity. Coupled with the fact Tesla seemed to want the CT to be produced from the Texas plant. Considering the Texas Giga factory is ready to open I'm actually expecting the CT within a few quarters.

The time between unveil of the R1T and debut was 3 years 11 months for perspective.

Given all these timelines, if the CT came in under the Model S and X's timelines it would follow the median design to production timeline.

If we give the CT the same benefit of Rivian's 3 years 11 months there's at least one year 9 months until ready, and that would still make it a success. No shame in making something in equal time.

Last edited:

Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Elon has stated clearly the CT is entirely dependent on the new large 4680 battery, and of course the new Giga Factory in Texas. Further, Tesla/Elon has said the new factory will focus early on making more (cheaper?) Model Y vehicles ahead of effort on the CT. So CT's are probably a 2023 thing at best.

StarTrekNerd

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical Clerk
Elon has stated clearly the CT is entirely dependent on the new large 4680 battery, and of course the new Giga Factory in Texas. Further, Tesla/Elon has said the new factory will focus early on making more (cheaper?) Model Y vehicles ahead of effort on the CT. So CT's are probably a 2023 thing at best.
Indeed the 4680 is another hurdle.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
So..... Lightning prices....

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
Soooooo Ford vs Rivian pricing, amiright??

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Honestly I don't see the big deal between Ford and Rivian pricing. Lariat+ is only about $3k more than Adventure package with a spare tire and the offroad package. The only reason I'd see to ditching Ford all together is all the dealership craziness.

OP
OP

GOFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, Acura TLX, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Honestly I don't see the big deal between Ford and Rivian pricing. Lariat+ is only about $3k more than Adventure package with a spare tire and the offroad package. The only reason I'd see to ditching Ford all together is all the dealership craziness.
Combination of both. I’m still only considering the Lightning Pro.

My Rivian build with adventure package/tire/charger is $75K, my Lariat + build is $81K with bed liner, tonneau cover.

I think the “big deal“ is both about the actual numbers and that Ford was higher than people expected. I know several commented on other light Lightning forum that in both XLT and Lariat there was an expectation that ER battery would be available regardless of option package.

Cheapest you can get and XLT with ER is 73K. Add tonneau and bed liner that turns into 75K or more. Rivian Explore package is around 68.5K. Many XLT buyers were expecting to see pricing under $60K based off Fords early advertising.
Sponsored