Sponsored

Carmelbythesea

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T & 2020 Tesla Model Y LR & R1S on order
For the back end. I got rid of the odd flying V silver bumper and pulled the rivian logo.
Rivian R1T R1S Extremely Picky Owner Reviews R1T @ 699 Miles IMG_B95B7D8EE1B3-1

I may modify the front silver skid plate. So it is black just at the top to match the bumper.
Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Sunil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Zero Motorcycles, Karma GS-6, Apocalypse, McL 570S
Occupation
health stuff
Requested Photos.

Goofing around with my daughter pose in front of my project home in Point Loma. Coincidently R1T matches my FJ I customized years ago . . .
Rivian R1T R1S Extremely Picky Owner Reviews R1T @ 699 Miles F7C52947-9F5F-4B8D-BFB2-60140B14F6C2

J and Sarah - James not pictured. All 3 made this delivery happen.
(Another goofy thing I do, at vehicle deliveries, I match my outfit to the truck - it's a decades old 'thing' - think I pulled off Forest Edge pants and Limestone camo pretty well. ;-)
Rivian R1T R1S Extremely Picky Owner Reviews R1T @ 699 Miles E37CDAC7-858D-4FDC-8692-12B18B4FBEAE

Yay, for once I am the FIRST with something . . . . JUST had my first door opening delay when trying to enter with wrist band though. . . hope it was something I did wrong.
Rivian R1T R1S Extremely Picky Owner Reviews R1T @ 699 Miles B1D7533E-E449-457B-B6F9-0F073F051C92

Sunset Cliffs, Full Time for the R1T, part time for me.
Rivian R1T R1S Extremely Picky Owner Reviews R1T @ 699 Miles 0B7E3EE9-0D34-4A73-8B98-8F80DC49FB5B

Last edited:

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Limestone, forest edge, 22” brights - that’s my exact configuration! Awesome truck!

teddyang

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adeventure Edition, RB, BM, 21"
Clubs

I changed my rear end a bit, originally was just gonna stick with the Rivian badge but ended up adding lettering to the light bar as well...

Rivian R1T R1S Extremely Picky Owner Reviews R1T @ 699 Miles IMG_9498

Rivian R1T R1S Extremely Picky Owner Reviews R1T @ 699 Miles IMG_9497

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Regarding the cameras - they are decent (not great) quality, but they're super wide (almost fisheye) lenses. The view you see in the camera view is cropped pretty severely, which is why it appears so blurry - you're basically looking at a digitally zoomed image.

If you load a Gear Guard video, you'll see that both the front and rear cameras capture a lot of the surrounding bumper fascia etc. - probably 30+% of the frame. It's much worse in the front, so the front camera view is cropped in more severely.

Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

3. When you jump into the car sometimes it asks you for the proof you have a key again and that can be annoying in a rush or cumbersome with a wristband having to reach back out the door. Maybe I am doing something wrong, will check this with the service team in a few days
Check out the graphic on the nfc card, it shows where to place the nfc keys to revalidate. Shouldn't need to reach outside. (The wrist band is nfc)

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Thanks for the review. You should drive the Hummer in one pedal mode if you think the Rivian stops fast.

OP
OP
First Name
Sunil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Zero Motorcycles, Karma GS-6, Apocalypse, McL 570S
Occupation
health stuff
Limestone, forest edge, 22” brights - that’s my exact configuration! Awesome truck!
Well homie, you will not be disappointed. When I configured, so few had ordered Limestone that I never saw it in person and even photos were hard to find at first. And when Limestones began to be spotted, they all had black interiors. And even rarer is the choice of brights for the truck - most go black shoes, but these rims do something special to the paint in the sun that makes it stand out even more . . . VERY happy with this unique configuration - bet it will not be so unique in very near future . . . ;-)

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

cumbersome with a wristband having to reach back out the door.
Check out the graphic on the nfc card, it shows where to place the nfc keys to revalidate. Shouldn't need to reach outside. (The wrist band is nfc)
The manual indicates that an unmarked location on the interior driver's side door has an NFC reader for you to activate the vehicle for driving.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

2. Performance - Okay, are Rivian owners just being coy or just not that experienced as owners/drivers of high performance vehicles? ...handles like a Lambo or Lotus around a bend, and is so comfortable on the HOV to just slide into cruise control and active lane assist and chill.
No, no it doesn't. While I haven't driven one on 22s, only the 20s, it's still a 7000 lbs truck. Yes, it's fast AF in a straight line and has good suspension. But it can't break the laws of physics and will *never* handle as well as a Lambo, Lotus, Miata, etc. Anyone saying it does clearly hasn't pushed a car to and/or beyond its limits. That said, it does handle better on a canyon road than a 7000 lbs truck has any right to, but it's no sports car, no matter how much an owner might want it to be.

Sponsored

BourboNole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green/Forest Edge R1T on 21s
No, no it doesn't. While I haven't driven one on 22s, only the 20s, it's still a 7000 lbs truck. Yes, it's fast AF in a straight line and has good suspension. But it can't break the laws of physics and will *never* handle as well as a Lambo, Lotus, Miata, etc. Anyone saying it does clearly hasn't pushed a car to and/or beyond its limits. That said, it does handle better on a canyon road than a 7000 lbs truck has any right to, but it's no sports car, no matter how much an owner might want it to be.
This would be my only nitpick of the review, and of many of even the professional reviews I have read. The R1T may handle more like large sedan than a truck, but its not even close to a sports car. While still very impressive, I have to say I expected more out of the suspension, especially the hydraulic anti-roll system. Sport mode is also disappointing, but I think that is due primarily to the bounciness in low mode. I wish I could set sport mode to normal height. I'll take the higher center of gravity. I'm hoping in time they will allow more customization of the drive modes, and possibly a way to dial in the dampening and anti-roll levels. As it is now, I run in all purpose most of the time because I need to go into low for my parking garage, but on the weekends when not going to work in run in Rally.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

My Rivian on 22s handles as good as any sports car I've ever driven hard on public roads, but I'm not one of those reckless idiots that will put other people at risk doing so, and I haven't had the opportunity to take it to a road track yet. The torque vectoring is really quite amazingly well done. I couldn't put my foot to the floor inside a hard corner in my c5 Z06 without the rear end getting squirrelly, but I can do it in the Rivian. You can definitely feel the power coming on as you straighten the wheel out. I've broken it loose on a rainy day but not on dry pavement.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

My Rivian on 22s handles as good as any sports car I've ever driven hard on public roads, but I'm not one of those reckless idiots that will put other people at risk doing so, and I haven't had the opportunity to take it to a road track yet. The torque vectoring is really quite amazingly well done. I couldn't put my foot to the floor inside a hard corner in my c5 Z06 without the rear end getting squirrelly, but I can do it in the Rivian. You can definitely feel the power coming on as you straighten the wheel out. I've broken it loose on a rainy day but not on dry pavement.
I autocross and track my vehicles a lot. It's fun as hell, but it's also kind of ruined performance driving for me on the street because once you've driven a vehicle at 10/10ths, driving it at 5-6/10ths on the street just isn't fun anymore. You're totally right though, the torque vectoring on the R1 is impressive and a big reason I want a quad-motor model vs dual-motor. Though off-road it seems like a dual-motor with locking diffs could be a better options, but they haven't announced locking diffs.

RtOnelove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rt1, Ford bronco
To your point, yes rivian made some mistakes. But let's be realistic here, we all knew when we ordered that it was an entire auto company built from the ground up, creating a vehicle that wasn't quite like any existing vehicle built by any company.

The last company to do that was tesla. Tesla took much less aggressive first steps, with much less aggressive production goals for the first few years, and tesla made plenty of mistakes. So far, I would say that rivian is comparing favorably. I'm actually impressed the process didn't go even more bumpy.

Now if a year or two from now they're still having the same bumpy path to ownership, then I'll be worried for the company's future. But so far I'd say they're doing well.

JustBarely

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T C63 AMG Honda S2000 E92 M3
Occupation
Logistics
Clubs

Congratulations! Thanks for the review. I love that color on this truck. I have 20inch all terrains and people literally told me the truck looks like it has "stones." LOL Rugged tires just conflicts in some folks' brains when it comes to an electric vehicle.
Sponsored