Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Right now this device won't even make up for the loss of vampire draw.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
20-40 miles of charge on a small EV is going to be 10-20 on a Rivian. Less if conditions are not ideal. Not really a ā€œsolutionā€ in my mind.

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
The extra weight of lugging around something like that defeats the purpose as well.

An "extra can of gas" in an EV means slowing down by 10mph or 15mph, or rolling in smaller tires.

There is no magic bullet for additional emergency range, yet.

Lsthrz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S, 2012 LR4
Occupation
Geologist
Not a ton of information. The charging world is changing so quickly. I wonder what the solution will be in 5 yearsā€¦ not a traveling suitcase I hope.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Not a ton of information. The charging world is changing so quickly. I wonder what the solution will be in 5 yearsā€¦ not a traveling suitcase I hope.
This is a great product. Not for what it does, but for the concept of what it does, and "baby steps" in the evolution of charging. Upgrade this in 5 years (?) to solid state batteries, it's pretty significant.

Also, we are looking at it from a Rivian vehicle viewpoint. But for someone who lives in an apartment with no garage, and commutes 25 miles a day, this starts to make sense.

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
Based on the size they're advertising here, It'd be hard to imagine cramming more than 3.6 kwh into that package. This is roughly the size of the VERY dense ecoflow delta pro. Good concept, but I can't imagine the tech for density is there yet to get 20-40 miles out of one of these. If the most efficient cars get 4 miles/kwh without any charging efficiency loss, this is still at max 12ish miles at current density limits.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
There is no magic bullet for additional emergency range, yet.
Sure there is. Carry couple of these in bed of your R1T and put those tow hooks to good use when you run out of juice.

Rivian R1T R1S Extra "can of gas"... for EVs 1651088759115

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
Sure there is. Carry couple of these in bed of your R1T and put those tow hooks to good use when you run out of juice.

1651088759115.png

Ahhhhhhh, AAA support in the developing world!

Reactions: Max

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Yeah, just not worth it. One big thing with EVs is that you have a constant readout of your battery state. You know you're at a given percent. In a car, gas gauges can be flaky. You can drive on "E" for a while.

And while carrying a compact reasonably light (~6 pounds) container of gas can get you 20-50 miles depending on the vehicles, to go even 10 miles in a Rivian requires 40+ pounds of battery.

The best solution is to watch your charge, and don't get in to a situation where you run out of charge. Which again, is a lot easier in an EV where you see exact mile or percent battery states.

"The next possible charge stop is 55 miles away, and my vehicles says I only have 50 miles of range?" Drop your speed. Turn off your HVAC. You'll get that extra 5 miles.

Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I think an AC output in an EV will be like USB-C. It will be expected on any EV. And you will be able to get a "Jump" from another driver (long enough of a jump to get you to another place to plug in). Except we couldn't call it a jump because it will take a while. May be we call it a leisurely stroll? You may actually get to know the person helping you.

Who knows, if DC fast charging output is included in EVs and required by law, range anxiety will be a thing of the past. Every EV will be a charging station. There cold be a network you automatically be a part of by simply registering your car in your state and giving someone a jump (or a leisurely stroll) will automatically give you credit in your account at the 2X public rate. Your car would detect if someone nearby is sending SOS signal.

If power density get to be 5X what it is today then purchasing a 150 mile EV and carrying an extender for vacations make sense.

Last edited:

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
How is this thing different then any of the Jackery-type products?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Remember that Rivian has filed patents for both V2V and electric jerrycan.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
How is this thing different then any of the Jackery-type products?
ā€˜Tisnā€™t and that tells us itā€™s of no practical use to a Rivian owner.
Sponsored