First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra, Volvo V60CC, Mercedes wgn
Occupation
retired
I see silver exterior paint on cars fade as it ages more than other colors. LA Silver is my favorite Rivian color. Has Rivian found a solution to make a more durable silver paint? Thank you.
Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I see silver exterior paint on cars fade as it ages more than other colors. LA Silver is my favorite Rivian color. Has Rivian found a solution to make a more durable silver paint? Thank you.
A clear wrap and a warm garage.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

They use Launch Green as their primer on all vehicles, didn't you hear? Just wait long enough for it to fade all the way through and folks will think you got a Launch Edition ?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
They use Launch Green as their primer on all vehicles, didn't you hear? Just wait long enough for it to fade all the way through and folks will think you got a Launch Edition ?
Second life paint?

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I’ve never felt silver ages worse than other colors. It seems Red and Black tend to have the most noticeable problems, imo. Otherwise, it’s always the same brands/years that have issues, due more to paint quality and process, rather than color.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I feel silver is a great color for cars you keep a loooong time. I have experienced zero fade on two silver vehicles i have owned for 15 years each, however, they are either under a carport or in a parking garage 50% of the time. :cool: Dents and hail damage don't show as prominently either.

Reactions: Max

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Do you like your volvo? We got a 2020 V60 T5 CC last year and we are very happy with it. But I still want a Rivian.
Yes, we've been extremely happy with both Volvos that we've owned. BEV vs ICE aside, the Rivian will be a better fit for us size/cargo wise. While the styling and tech of my 2018 is far superior to the 2014 I had before it (which sadly was totaled by a hail storm about 2 yrs ago forcing me to replace it with the 2018), the cargo area of the 2014 was slightly deeper which worked better with the dogs. I also greatly preferred the I6 turbo engine in my 2014 vs the I4 with turbo+SC as the 6 had more torque and a more linear power band with equivalent real world fuel economy. I absolutely love that the 2018 supports Android Auto allowing me to project Waze and Google Maps on the dash although the infotainment system is too sluggish to boot up (something I desperately hope Rivian gets right). My biggest pet peeve with our current Volvo is that the drive mode selector isn't "sticky" and has to be reset every single time I start the car. No car is perfect but we're big fans of Volvo feeling they offer a great blend of performance, comfort, convenience, reliability, value and styling. I am really looking forward to getting my R1S though as it will truly be next level by comparison.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Even though I've grown tired of silver/ grey cars ( I've owned 5) I feel they hold up as well or better than most other hues. I've owned one black (obsidian black pearl) which looked great new but aged quickly showed every blemish and environmental deposits made it look slightly foggy unless it was freshly waxed.
I'm all for having my adventure truck look good dirty so launch green for me.
Sponsored