First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Toyota Tacoma, March/24 Reservation for R2
Occupation
Retired
I know there have been plenty of discussions recently, in various threads, about extended cab versions of the R1t. Add to that, there have also been discussions about the bed length, which kind of touches on the cab length discussion.

But, after looking at the artist's rendering of an extended cab, long bed, version of the R1t in the Insideevs article linked below, I figure this topic deserves its own thread. From my perspective, that is the absolute epitome of what I want.

I know quad cabs are more popular. I just hope there are enough people who want an extended cab to justify Rivian building this truck.

https://insideevs.com/news/492547/rivian-r1t-extended-cab-rendering-sleek/

Rivian R1T R1S Extended Cab 1615058773115
Sponsored

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
That's a pretty huge gear tunnel. It would seem any increase in bed length may get cancelled out by the increased width of the gear tunnel. Now if the rendition kept the gear tunnel the same size as it is now, then, yea, you got something there.

OP
OP

Reed

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Toyota Tacoma, March/24 Reservation for R2
Occupation
Retired
This is the source picture the artist is working from. The gear tunnel does appear larger - or is that just the angle?

Rivian R1T R1S Extended Cab 1615059846990

RobBot

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
It looks like they went with a long bed, while that picture is still a short bed/shorter wheelbase. People are speculation that's an R1S wheelbase.

Who knows how they'd handle the gear tunnel with a long bed/access cab. Probably not like that though lol

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
Good luck to you! (I don't want it, but no reason you should care about that ;))

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Nearly every other manufacturer who has previously produced a regular/extended cab truck has stopped doing so. There are only a couple that remain.

Itā€™s like the people who complain online about how you canā€™t buy any manual transmission vehicles any more. They can be an extremely vocal group, but when it comes time to put their money where their mouth is, they largely donā€™t. As a result, manufacturers make what people actually buy. There are a few holdouts, like the Toyota Tacoma and Jeep Wrangler, because thereā€™s a small but loyal customer base who actually buy units with manual transmissions. But it is not a large market, and itā€™s mostly addressed by the few options that remain ā€” despite what vocal complainers on the Internet say.

Now Rivian is going to do whatever they want. But I personally think this is an ultra-niche market, and I donā€™t think itā€™s worth their effort. *IF* they do choose to cater to the three of you who want ā€” and the 0.5 who may actually pay for it ā€” I hope they do so AFTER addressing the deficiencies in the crew-cab model. And offering a longer bed with the crew cab would be a better seller, anyway.

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

From my perspective, that is the absolute epitome of what I want.

I know quad cabs are more popular. I just hope there are enough people who want an extended cab to justify Rivian building this truck.
Put me on the list for longer bed, extra cab, R1T.

The artist's rendering is just that. If this style was actually produced, the gear tunnel would be the same size as the current quad cab.

RobBot

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Nearly every other manufacturer who has previously produced a regular/extended cab truck has stopped doing so. There are only a couple that remain.

Itā€™s like the people who complain online about how you canā€™t buy any manual transmission vehicles any more.

There are a few holdouts, like the Toyota Tacoma

Me sitting here driving a manual Toyota Tacoma access cab. I guess I'm the most niche group.

I actually do want a quad cab now though lol

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

The artist's rendering is just that. If this style was actually produced, the gear tunnel would be the same size as the current quad cab.
Don't extended cabs generally have a more vertical wall at the back of the cab? That way they can throw two tiny seats in there sideways. The gear tunnel would not be able to follow the slope of the back seats from the quad cab, and I think it would lose significant space in an extended cab version.

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

Don't extended cabs generally have a more vertical wall at the back of the cab? That way they can throw two tiny seats in there sideways. The gear tunnel would not be able to follow the slope of the back seats from the quad cab, and I think it would lose significant space in an extended cab version.
F150 supercab trucks don't have the sideways jump seats. They have child sized bench seats. That would leave room for the gear tunnel.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

Rivian fan

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1985 Chevy C10 , 1987 Chevy V20 , 2004 Chevy Silve
Occupation
Warehouse
I would like to see a Rivian regular cab I doubt it would happen but it would look nice.
Sponsored