Sponsored

Expansion of Rivian Service - when and where?

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
TN, even east TN is covered by ATL service center.
Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

The temporary location was a leased side, where Rivian couldn’t install any permanent hardware. The lease was short term and wasn’t a long-term ideal location for Rivian due to its small size. The location was purchased by Tesla and will be a customer center.

Ironically, all the equipment that was in Rockville ended up in Richmond, taking up 1/3 of their parts storage area.
Thanks for the information. It was leased and they knew that when they took it on and lack of planning, speed or execution has led to the situation of having a large gap after the closure of that site before a replacement comes online. If Tesla could buy it why couldn’t Rivian?
They need to pull their finger out and get a DC based site, one in DE or SE PA (if legal) and add sites in the eastern half of the country that has 80% of the population.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the information. It was leased and they knew that when they took it on and lack of planning, speed or execution has led to the situation of having a large gap after the closure of that site before a replacement comes online. If Tesla could buy it why couldn’t Rivian?
They need to pull their finger out and get a DC based site, one in DE or SE PA (if legal) and add sites in the eastern half of the country that has 80% of the population.
Maybe not 80%…

As of 2021 Census
RegionPopulationPercentage
Northeast57,159,83817.2%
Midwest68,841,44420.7%
West78,667,13423.7%
South127,225,32938.3%

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Maybe not 80%…

As of 2021 Census
RegionPopulationPercentage
Northeast57,159,83817.2%
Midwest68,841,44420.7%
West78,667,13423.7%
South127,225,32938.3%
There was an interesting geographical video on YouTube that divides the US in half and the western half (west coast, Arizona, Colorado, the Dakotas, Idaho etc) came to around 20%. NYC has the population of many of those states (Wyoming, Montana, Idaho etc). California is only about 12% of the US population.

Anyway the point stands that having four centers from Maine through to the Carolinas (and that is once the DC based one opens) is ridiculous and if Washington state needing two is a big deal then how does the east feel!
They could have planned for temporary sites in Columbus, Baltimore, Binghamton and elsewhere to cover the east coast and some of the mid west.

Last edited:

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
There was an interesting geographical video on YouTube that divides the US in half and the western half (west coast, Arizona, Colorado, the Dakotas, Idaho etc) came to around 20%. NYC has the population of many of those states (Wyoming, Montana, Idaho etc). California is only about 12% of the US population.

Anyway the point stands that having three centers from Maine through to the Carolinas (and that is once the DC based one opens)!is ridiculous and ifWashington needing two is a big deal then how does the east feel!
Yes, kind of hard to understand how Rivian decided to start the rollouts, could be based on where most of the EV adoption is.

As of the 2021 census California is 12% of the population but New York and Pennsylvania combined is less than 10%.

As of June 2022, here is the breakdown of EV registration California, Florida, Texas, and Washington have the most EVs registered, kind of makes sense that Rivian seems to have focused on these states in the early deployments.

Rivian R1T R1S Expansion of Rivian Service - when and where? D9143A8A-1832-4BBE-A180-CB8EA08E883C

Sponsored

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

The Connecticut service center several have already mentioned is slated to open in Shelton in Fairfield County in 2023. 2 Mountain View Drive, Shelton, CT.

Last edited:

chicagoair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Performance Max Pack
Clubs

Permits have the Boise service center at 700 North Five Mile Road and the Reddit AMA mentioned it opening “early next year”.

chicagoair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Performance Max Pack
Clubs

In the recent Reddit AMA they mentioned Cincinnati, Portland and several other locations through to end of Q1 2023.
The full list from the Reddit AMA with Tony:

“…I'm happy to share our next Service Centers are expected to launch in Vancouver BC, Nashville, and San Jose by end of year.

Early next year, we're expanding to Cincinnati, Portland, Boise, and Washington DC.

Following in the spring with St. Louis, Detroit , Colorado Springs, and Tampa.”

tsylviaNH

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Epic EVO, Epic HT
Occupation
Residential Architecture
I recently made an appointment for some minor stuff at the South San Francisco SC and they asked if I’d prefer to go to SF or San Jose, this being for the end of this month. I’m still closer to SF but was unaware they were opening another SC in San Jose. As others have mentioned the local EV market is huge relative to most of the country. Nearly 27% of all new car sales across the 9 counties that make up the bay area (+7m people) are EVs. The county I’m in is over 30%. I often see multiple Rivian’s on my ~5mile commute to work…shoot there’s already 2 R1Ts on my street alone.

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
Yes, kind of hard to understand how Rivian decided to start the rollouts, could be based on where most of the EV adoption is.

As of the 2021 census California is 12% of the population but New York and Pennsylvania combined is less than 10%.

As of June 2022, here is the breakdown of EV registration California, Florida, Texas, and Washington have the most EVs registered, kind of makes sense that Rivian seems to have focused on these states in the early deployments.

D9143A8A-1832-4BBE-A180-CB8EA08E883C.jpeg
As pointed out, the combined population of NY & PA is only roughly the same as CA. If we add NJ to the mix, the three state combination is then slightly larger than CA. Yet those three states have to share one [overwhelmed] service center that is located in the heart of a major city, making access both difficult and expensive. I'm hoping that Rivian opens more SC's in the region, or at least significantly expands the Brooklyn SC by the time my R1T Max is delivered in late 2025.

Reactions: Guy

Sponsored

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

As pointed out, the combined population of NY & PA is only roughly the same as CA. If we add NJ to the mix, the three state combination is then slightly larger than CA. Yet those three states have to share one [overwhelmed] service center that is located in the heart of a major city, making access both difficult and expensive. I'm hoping that Rivian opens more SC's in the region, or at least significantly expands the Brooklyn SC by the time my R1T Max is delivered in late 2025.
Interestingly, Google shows there are 15 Land Rover dealerships supporting the greater New York City metro region from Marlboro NJ to Milford CT.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Interestingly, Google shows there are 15 Land Rover dealerships supporting the greater New York City metro region from Marlboro NJ to Milford CT.
And that is a good comparison.
In addition to NY, NJ and at least eastern PA supported by Brooklyn you have CT, RI, MD all supported by that center.
If Boise can have a center and Colorado a second one then more on the east coast would be appropriate. They could open more temporary ones to help facilitate delivery and keep service appointments to less than four months.

OP
OP
moosetags

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

They really need to get some way of serving the more remote areas. Florida has two (soon to be three) Service Centers. All of these are over 400 miles from me. I have a November, 2018 order date and I am probably looking at 2026 to get an R1T.

Brian

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
I think the calculus is more geared towards where trucks have been sold then where population is. Over time the population stat matters, but with <20k vehicles on the road, even including EDVs (which are almost entirely located in WA and CA atm), the math states they should be opening SCs where the trucks are.

If you look at the self-reported owner stats on this forum, you can clearly see that CA, WA, and OR are the biggest bulk of sold vehicles (and again, add up to probably 8k EDVs in those three states as well). There are quite a few on the east coast as well, so I agree they need a few more SCs out there, but the data clearly indicates why there are so many SCs out here on the west coast vs other parts of the country. For now.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I think the calculus is more geared towards where trucks have been sold then where population is. Over time the population stat matters, but with <20k vehicles on the road, even including EDVs (which are almost entirely located in WA and CA atm), the math states they should be opening SCs where the trucks are.

If you look at the self-reported owner stats on this forum, you can clearly see that CA, WA, and OR are the biggest bulk of sold vehicles (and again, add up to probably 8k EDVs in those three states as well). There are quite a few on the east coast as well, so I agree they need a few more SCs out there, but the data clearly indicates why there are so many SCs out here on the west coast vs other parts of the country. For now.
I agree they need them where owners are. They have national aspirations and they need more than the 40 they originally thought. Unfortunately we won’t be at 40 until this time next year. Also I would be very surprised if there are 8k EDVs - I could see 5k at most by the end of the year. We know from VINs there are at least 18k R1S with a month to go. Let’s see what 2022 production is. I hope they lay out 2023 production and it is ambitious (ie greater than 60k).
Sponsored