First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt, Model 3, R1T VIN 34XX LE Glacier White
Occupation
Engineer
Has anyone experienced a time-of-use charging error? When I set my EVSE to TOU and plug the truck in, it faults after a couple of minutes. Turn off TOU, unplug/plug in the truck, all is well. Seems like a bug in the charger state transition to me...

Rivian R1T R1S EVSE TOU Vehicle Charging Error ChargePort_Error.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S EVSE TOU Vehicle Charging Error RivAppError
Sponsored

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
We don't use TOU but still would wind up in stalemate conditions with the juiceboxes after hitting the charge limit. Basically, the R1T would charge full but then go into a fault state when keeping topped up, so I'd drop down to the high 60s SoC before unplugging.

I haven't seen the light turn red since updating to 2022.11.2 OTA, which, among other things, "Improved interoperability with third-party public chargers." Every time I've gotten in the truck since updating, I've had my target 70% SoC. So I think they loosened some things up to play nice with EVSEs that change state during a session.

NorthernOak

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Clubs

I'm on ToU for my whole house. If you can I'd recommend trying to go away from setting the charging schedule on the charger and instead setting the charge schedule inside the truck. That's how I have mine setup and I've not had an issue with it. It's nice that Rivian included a start and stop time ability in the vehicle so that it doesn't charge outside those hours.

OP
OP
boredcleaner

boredcleaner

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I'm on ToU for my whole house. If you can I'd recommend trying to go away from setting the charging schedule on the charger and instead setting the charge schedule inside the truck. That's how I have mine setup and I've not had an issue with it. It's nice that Rivian included a start and stop time ability in the vehicle so that it doesn't charge outside those hours.
We've done that for our M3 since it has location-aware charging (i.e. charges on a schedule at home, but charges on detection when away from home). I haven't messed with the scheduling in the R1T yet. Having the scheduling done on the truck can be problematic for charging in the wild (work, destination chargers, airport, etc.), so I prefer to control it at the wall. Plus the app for the JuiceBox is pretty decent for charging, unlike the Rivian app. Does the truck have location-aware charging?
As @timesinks suggested, it looks like 11.2 may have improved my situation.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

My R1T does this. I haven't set scheduled charging up in the R1T but I was hoping to not have to. I didn't realize it the first few days and was wondering why I didn't get a charge overnight.

Every other EV I've plugged into it handles this fine. Rivian probably just has a bug to work out that they aren't aware of.

RivianuserR1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40, Volkswagen E-Golf
Has anyone experienced a time-of-use charging error? When I set my EVSE to TOU and plug the truck in, it faults after a couple of minutes. Turn off TOU, unplug/plug in the truck, all is well. Seems like a bug in the charger state transition to me...

ChargePort_Error.JPG

RivAppError.jpg
Yes, I have this issue as well. It generally will clear the error and charge correctly once the time of use window opens. However sometimes it fails to charge.

NorthernOak

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Clubs

Why do you say that? I did not see an option for it, only days/times.
There is no "option" for location aware charging, the vehicle just does it. When at my house the vehicle knows/remembers its charging schedule. But when I've been at a charger anywhere else, J1772, DCFC, or using the mobile charger, the vehicle will charge ignoring the schedule.

OP
OP
boredcleaner

boredcleaner

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
There is no "option" for location aware charging, the vehicle just does it. When at my house the vehicle knows/remembers its charging schedule. But when I've been at a charger anywhere else, J1772, DCFC, or using the mobile charger, the vehicle will charge ignoring the schedule.
Thanks for your response. I have set my home and work locations, so maybe those locations use the schedule (?). I have tested the schedule a couple of times at home and work. In both of those locations, the vehicle reports waiting for schedule to charge. I'll try finding a random location charger and see what happens.

Sponsored

kozak79

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Visual Effects
Clubs

I get the same with JuiceBox and Time of Day charging. Unplugging and plugging back in clears the error if Time of Day is turned off in the JuiceBox app.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for your response. I have set my home and work locations, so maybe those locations use the schedule (?). I have tested the schedule a couple of times at home and work. In both of those locations, the vehicle reports waiting for schedule to charge. I'll try finding a random location charger and see what happens.
My understanding is that you need to set the schedule where you are going to use it. It keys off of the GPS location and not an address.
Sponsored