Sponsored

EVs and luxury vehicles depreciate faster in resale value than others over 5 years

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
One of the claims I keep seeing on EV boards is how they don't depreciate as fast but it seems that is only in comparison to high-end vehicles.

Cars with the worst resale value in 2022

So I wonder if the speculation about the R1T/S maintaining value is misguided. Thoughts?
Generally buyers want some sort of self justification/pretext when they make a pricey purchase, so slower depreciation fits that narrative - whether if it is correct or not, doesn't matter. Same goes with the other excuses such as less moving parts, longevity, lower operating costs, yada yada yada.
Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Historically inflation isn't high, especially over the 5 years period under study here; and inflation hits all vehicle values equally.

I think you're right that, in essence, a 5 year old EV is going to depreciate because the technology changes so rapidly. Once the R2 is out (probably in 2030 (just kidding)) the R1 will probably see a drop in value.
My understanding is that the R2 will be lower performance and lower cost than the R1. If that’s the case I’m not sure it will really be a hit to the value of the R1’s.