Sponsored

"EVPassport To Offer $39/Month Unlimited EV Charging, Interoperability, More"

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Interesting program. The app will give EV drivers access to the Electrify America, EVgo, ChargePoint, and Greenlots networks. However, will it really be unlimited? Aaron Fisher, Co-Founder of Recharge, one of the two companies collaborating on the new app, indicated in the article "There will also be a soft-cap that limits how much an individual can spend on electricity per month to eliminate abuse, but those details are still being refined. "

Some key questions still need to be answered, but this could be promising for those looking for a more consistent / seamless charging experience. Is this a program you might sign up for? What would you want to know beforehand or be different about it?

https://insideevs.com/news/431599/evpassport-39-month-unlimited-ev-charging/amp/
Sponsored

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
I would consider this as an option for use during a vacation. Meaning I would want to have it monthly a la carte. If it required a term subscription then it would not be worth it for the months when I'm not traveling.

At least those are my initial thoughts

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I'm fine paying even gas-like amounts on an as needed basis when traveling. Most of my charging will be at home, and even $39/month is probably not something that would make sense for me.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Definitely interesting though, and I spend well over $39 per month fueling each of our ICE vehicles.

Possibly worth it just for convenience & predictability?

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
I worried a lot about highway charging when I bought my Tesla back in 2015. Frankly, it was worry about nothing. I have used Superchargers probably no more than a dozen times since I've had the car.

Unless you are a traveling salesman, an addicted road tripper, or don't have access to home charging, the VAST majority of your charging will be at home with EVs offering the kind of range Rivian will have.

Sponsored

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
I am not interested in any subscription based paradigms. As Hmp10 mentioned, I charged twice in the past 4 years with a tesla supercharger. I use the Van for long trips, and honestly that costs me about 80 dollars in gas a trip, so it's about the same.

The reason for using the Van, the dvd player, my kids are too young to handle their own devices. But depending on the Roof option in the Rivian I could probably mount that, but then I would pay the 39/month, if I can just do it for 1 month.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
I'm generally not interested in subscription models. I think their plan is like gym memberships. They hope many will subscribe, but few will use.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
I'm getting a Lucid Air which uses the Electrify America network. It's a bit more cumbersome to make payment at their stations than at a Tesla station where you simply plug in. However, EA is offering a $4/month subscription plan that keeps your car information and payment information on file for automatic payment processing when you plug in, plus gives a slight discount on charging costs (sort of like gas stations that give you a discount for using their charge card).

That I will think about just for the sake of occasional convenience. In my opinion, any more comprehensive subscription plan is looking to milk the anxiety of new EV owners who think they're going to be doing a lot more highway charging than they really will.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
To offer a slightly different perspective... they could actually have a pretty desirable service for apartment dwellers without access to residential charging - especially once they add support for L2 charging next year. Don't think anyone should be daily DCFC'ing with current battery tech.

Sponsored

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
My electric bill was $20/month when commuting full time in an EV. Yes, I had a short commute, but $40/month whether you use it or not seems quite excessive.

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
18 months ago when I placed my deposit on the R1T I think this would have been very appealing. Fast forward to today - I have moved to a small town (everything is close by) and I am permanently tele-commuting and have probably driven less than 3000 miles this year so far. I will only ever need public charging on a road trip so the subscription model makes no sense for me now.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
The calculus is pretty simple. The Rivian is going to take about .4 kW hr/mi which at $0.13 is $0.052/mi. At that rate $39 would buy you 750 miles. Thus if you contemplate driving more that 750 miles using DC fast chargers as the energy source it is a good deal. For me, personally, it is not. 85% of my charging is done at home and, because of the solar system (in both senses of the word) my costs are closer to 2 cents/mile.

For an apartment dweller/road warrior it might be a different story.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
What EV and other companies want is a predictable cash flow. If the $39 per month (or perhaps some other price) could be banked by the buyer and then used at his convenience, it'd be a different matter. The company could get their cash flow, and users could leave on a cross country trip knowing the charging is already paid for.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
That got me thinking about knowing the charging is already paid for which I do because I got my Tesla with free lifetime charging as a promotional deal. Rivian might offer something like this (Tesla did for all buyers early on) so I'd say a prospective Rivian owner would be ill advised to sign up for this plan until he sees what Rivian may offer.
Sponsored