Sponsored

EVgo partners with Meijer for Midwest EV fast-charging at up to 350 kw

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
https://www.greencarreports.com/new...-for-midwest-ev-fast-charging-at-up-to-350-kw

The charging network EVgo on Thursday announced a partnership that will install publicly accessible EV fast-charging stations at Meijer supercenter locations in the Midwest.

Although EVgo didn’t say exactly how many stations the partnership will include, it plans to start installing them in summer 2021.

At present, the charging provider has more than 800 fast-charging locations, and with more than 250 locations in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Illinois, and Wisconsin, Meijer will give EVgo a consistent retail environment—a bit like Electrify America and its Walmart connections.

EVgo’s new chargers will potentially be as fast-charging as some of those offered by Electrify America. They’ll range from 100 kw—enough to charge a Chevy Bolt EV, Hyundai Kona Electric, or Kia Niro EV at full speed—up to the 350 kw that can accomplish an especially speedy charge for the Porsche Taycan.
Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

That's outstanding news! I noticed at the time of the RAN announcement that Indiana appears to have but a single location deep in the State. That spot looks to be scheduled for Indianapolis. I think news of these kinds of CCS station/business partnerships is what we've all been hoping for. When it comes down to it, it seems like many store chains have only recently (in automotive-history terms) embraced adding a gas station to their locations. While those draw people in, you have to stay in your vehicle to refuel it. I think the chains, beginning with Walmart, started to understand that getting you in the store as a captive for the length of your charging session made a lot of sense, and a lot of dollars.

Frequently, I hit our local Costco and Safeway gas stations without ever setting foot in their store. I'm not sure if it's a requirement to spend $200 every time you enter Costco, but it seems to happen to me on a regular basis. All too often, stuff that I didn't even know I needed just jumps into my cart. I think Walmart got wise to that concept early on. It would never make it on a billboard, but I'll bet the intial Board of Directors' meeting in which ElectrifyAmerica's partnership was pitched had an entry titled something like: "New Business item #7: How Walmart can Help Save The World and Get Even Richer at the Same Time."

I sure hope this trend continues. If Cracker Barrel, Waffle House or similar restaurant chains that cater to travelers for 30 to 45 minute meals sign on for a station or two of DCFC for their customers, they'd get my business. There's no way I'm dropping $200 there, but a guy's gotta eat.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
Let's hope they are maintained better than the Tesla superchargers we have here in illinois. The meijer stations near by are hit and miss when it comes to functionality and charge rates.

walkyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Renault Duster
Occupation
Marketer
That's outstanding news! I noticed at the time of the RAN announcement that Indiana appears to have but a single location deep in the State. That spot looks to be scheduled for Indianapolis. I think news of these kinds of CCS station/business partnerships is what we've all been hoping for. When it comes down to it, it seems like many store chains have only recently (in automotive-history terms) embraced adding a gas station to their locations. While those draw people in, you have to stay in your vehicle to refuel it. I think the chains, beginning with Walmart, started to understand that getting you in the store as a captive for the length of your charging session made a lot of sense, and a lot of dollars.

Frequently, I hit our local Costco and Safeway gas stations without ever setting foot in their store. I'm not sure if it's a requirement to spend $200 every time you enter Costco, but it seems to happen to me on a regular basis. All too often, stuff that I didn't even know I needed just jumps into my cart. I think Walmart got wise to that concept early on. It would never make it on a billboard, but I'll bet the intial Board of Directors' meeting in which ElectrifyAmerica's partnership was pitched had an entry titled something like: "New Business item #7: How Walmart can Help Save The World and Get Even Richer at the Same Time."

I sure hope this trend continues. If Cracker Barrel, Waffle House or similar restaurant chains that cater to travelers for 30 to 45 minute meals sign on for a station or two of DCFC for their customers, they'd get my business. There's no way I'm dropping $200 there, but a guy's gotta eat.
It seems like you had an exceptionally awful involvement with neighborhood Costco and Safeway service stations however not with me. There are presently 24 Safeway areas in Washington with Volta Charging stations. Other than Albertsons, Volta is likewise working with Giant Food. There are presently 74 Volta booths introduced at Giant Food areas across the merchant's market region.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

It seems like you had an exceptionally awful involvement with neighborhood Costco and Safeway service stations however not with me. There are presently 24 Safeway areas in Washington with Volta Charging stations. Other than Albertsons, Volta is likewise working with Giant Food. There are presently 74 Volta booths introduced at Giant Food areas across the merchant's market region.
Walkyle,

First off, welcome to the forums! It's a great place to learn, and engage, and interact with great people. Make sure to check out all the various threads and headlines around the space. Lots of good stuff here.

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say in that first sentence, but most all of my gas is purchased at Costco and Safeway because they do such a good job of keeping the price down. I shop at Costco on a regular basis, also to take advantage of the savings they offer. That said, their low-priced gas can make for painfully long lines and wait times

It's good to hear that you're finding much more in the way of charging stations partnering with grocery and other businesses in Washington. I haven't noticed that down here in Oregon to any great extent, save for the Walmart/ElectrifyAmerica arrangement.

I hope we continue to see more of these kinds of partnerships develop throughout the country. It'll help alleviate range anxiety, but also allow people to charge while they shop or dine. Once people know they can plug in their EV and walk into a store or restaurant without having to wait until the gas filling process has been completed, many will see how convenient that is. When new charging stations start popping up everywhere, along with more EV's on the roads and in car dealerships, folks will begin to see the many advantages of EV's and start shopping electrics as they consider their next vehicle.

Again, welcome aboard!
Sponsored