Every menu in the Ford F-150 Lightning - Out of Spec Reviews

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Maybe not the prettiest UI ever, but Ford seems to be doing a decent job with software. Looks responsive and very functional. Plus it even has support for....never mind I wont say it lol

Sponsored

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Looks a lot smoother than what I've seen from Mach E videos. Hopefully the production trucks are just as good and they didn't just do that for the demo ones.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
Now the interesting thing about this is that Sync 4 is the last we'll see of the Microsoft Sync system. It's EOL. Ford is still integrating it into the Lightning due to timing and carrying and being able to effectively carry it over from the Mach-E . They have announced they'll be transitioning to Android in the near future, as GM is doing/ has done with their newer vehicles.

Upgraded CPU and a few things so it is snappier than the Mach-E. Although I expect Mach-E to get the same upgrades here shortly.

I really want to see the full-screen CarPlay / Android Auto implementation on this 15" vertical unit and how it works with the dial or if the CP/AA interface layer exists above the dial.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
So... I'm not a huge fan of their UI design, but overall it looks like a really well packaged system. Ford's slowly pulling me in.

RivRev

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
This seems far superior than Rivian. Just sayin'

EDIT: by "superior" I mean more in the lines of being more capable and having more features. This is definitely not superior in terms of looks.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mcdubjr

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventurehightech.com
Vehicles
Mazda CX-9
Occupation
Software Guy
Clubs

Man, what an ugly UI. And that dial on the screen looks ridiculous.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Rivian better start delivering vehicles in large quantities or the OEM's are going to run right over them. This video raised the Lightning on my scale of comparison and "want" between it and R1T.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3, SC Bronson
Occupation
Product Development
To each their own… I find it clunky and not an intuitive UX at all. I’m looking forward to seeing what they do when they actually refresh the platform. It just feels long in the tooth

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
This seems far superior than Rivian. Just sayin'
Going to disagree with you there. Rivian looks a lot better, especially their driver+ visualizations. Blue cruise doesn't really show much. I like the Tesla style visualizations so you can look at the screen and see what the car sees.

RivRev

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
Going to disagree with you there. Rivian looks a lot better, especially their driver+ visualizations. Blue cruise doesn't really show much. I like the Tesla style visualizations so you can look at the screen and see what the car sees.
Okay, I agree that Rivian's UI "looks" better. But the Lightning seems to be far more capable and have more features. And I'm sure the looks of the Lightning will only get better...that's easy to fix and update.
Plus, the Lightning has a volume knob! No need for a good looking UI when you can just manually adjust the volume ?

Sponsored

OP
OP
lostpacket

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Did anyone else catch that he changed the lane keep assist mode to "alert + aid" without changing it back?

Gonna be a fun surprise for the employee driving the truck back to the Ford factory lol

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
I'm a previous F-150 platinum owner, Lincoln, and Tesla.

I haven't cared for any of the UI's in my Ford Lincoln products. They weren't bad, but they weren't great either. I enjoyed my Tesla UI the most followed by my Land Rover Range Rover vehicles.

Rivian UI seems to be more Tesla then Ford, and I feel that's a good thing.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Okay, I agree that Rivian's UI "looks" better. But the Lightning seems to be far more capable and have more features. And I'm sure the looks of the Lightning will only get better...that's easy to fix and update.
Plus, the Lightning has a volume knob! No need for a good looking UI when you can just manually adjust the volume ?
Functionally I can see the Ford UI being better. Also being able to use Android Auto is a big plus. For long road trips though you'd pretty much have to stick with the Ford Nav in order to get charging information.
Sponsored