EV versus ICE Cost of Ownership calculator

Nuclearn8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 GX460, '05 Corolla
Does anyone know a good online comparison calculator that lets the user edit the inputs to see where the break-even point is during ownership, if there is one financially?

I am working on one in excel in my spare time, but if a good one already exists, no point..

thank you.
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
OP
OP
Nuclearn8

Nuclearn8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 GX460, '05 Corolla
So I edited the suggested google sheet and did a quick comparison between a R1T and a Tacoma.... and it's not pretty, even making assumptions in the R1T's favor...

I need to seriously rethink the practicality of this purchase before committing to my pre-order.

I'm hoping someone can point out some errors in my comparison.... (jpg attached since excel cannot be attached)

Rivian R1T R1S EV versus ICE Cost of Ownership calculator Comparo.JPG

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
I completely agree with the lack of practicality in the purchase of the Rivian vs the Tacoma. Putting that aside I'm tired of dealing with service departments and gas stations. I'm not interested in saving the world. My time left is limited and I'm not interested in leaving my assets to someone when I still have wants and the R1T is a want just as the 911 that I drive and enjoy every time I get in it. By the way, for many years I serviced all of my vehicles and avoided service shops as much as possible.

OP
OP
Nuclearn8

Nuclearn8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 GX460, '05 Corolla
Unfortunately I'm not in a place in life where I can buy simply based on want alone.... oh how I wish!... haha.

It needs to make financial sense or at least be close enough to justify the additional monthly expense an EV brings with it, given the premium price tag and not being able to afford to pay cash up front. Right now the numbers aren't close enough for me to say with certainty I'll buy one (I could afford it but at the expense of taking less adventurous... which kind of defeats the purpose of buying an adventure vehicle) but it's nice to have a place in line and time to make a decision....

Sponsored

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
I haven't done any deep dive into ROI of an EV to an ICE, however, I'm not surprised by those numbers. First, I'm not sure of the validity of that comparison of a start up company with an introductory product to that of an established vehicle from an established company with plenty of competition. If you're looking to save money/expenses with purchasing an EV I believe you're barking up the wrong tree with Rivian at least at this point. Rivian is a start up. Just like with Tesla (and for that matter just about any introductory product by a new company) they needed to raise as much capital as possible starting with the more premium packages and options (e.g. 180 kWh battery pack). You have to expect to pay more. Early adopters are basically investing in the company for the company's future success and rarely are seen as initially as getting a lower cost deal.

The ROI is typically just too far out for most people. Using your comparison that would be 14 years, possibly longer. That's a long time for things / values to change especially in a tech driven automotive industry. Rivians at this point are a "want" vehicle. If you prefer an EV *and* would like a much earlier ROI when compared to an ICE, I believe you may be better off looking at other EVs ... I've been down a similar thought process on what I would like my first EV to be. For me, it comes down to this: I'm done with the ICE maintenance (both cost, frequency and inconvenience), the environmental impacts of ICE, and the fun and convenience of an EV. Cost is certainly a factor for me but it's not the number one driving factor. I respect one's views and circumstances that goes into purchasing an EV, certainly at this price point, are unique as are mine. Good luck.

Cactusone

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma Acura RDX corvette
Cars are the biggest waste of money there is. Buy a used vehicle that meets your minimum requirements and keep it forever, there’s your roi. If you’re asking about the gas mileage on a Ferrari, maybe it’s not for you. This is cutting edge tech people, you’re gonna pay...a lot. Putting a $3000 solar panel on the tonneau cover to save money on charging is not gonna do it. Lol. Desires meet bank account, battle royale

Last edited:

JeffOutWest

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Wrangler
Those numbers actually aren't as bad as I was expecting lol... I guess I'll run some numbers of my own, but they should come out close to yours. Also I think insurance will probably be much more expensive on the Rivian.. and you could buy a used Tacoma to make the comparison even worse.... I'm against a rock and a hard place because I want the Rivian really bad, but 80k is crazy for me.

OP
OP
Nuclearn8

Nuclearn8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 GX460, '05 Corolla
I can send you the file I used if want... the forum just doesn't let excel files be shared or attached

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
My wants would fit in a 10 car garage but that isn't going to happen. I'm determined to go electric in my next vehicle.

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
So I edited the suggested google sheet and did a quick comparison between a R1T and a Tacoma.... and it's not pretty, even making assumptions in the R1T's favor...

I need to seriously rethink the practicality of this purchase before committing to my pre-order.

I'm hoping someone can point out some errors in my comparison.... (jpg attached since excel cannot be attached)

Comparo.JPG
You didn't add in any maintenance costs for the ICE.... How come?

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

In my case, I am coming from a 2017 Nissan Titan Pro-4X completely optioned out that I sold back in May for downpayment money. IF for whatever reason, I decide(which won't happen) to not get the Rivian and go back to say the 2020 Nissan Titan Pro-4X, I would already be ahead after just 5 years in the Rivian based off gas alone. @Nuclearn8, do you actually consider going with a Tacoma vs a Rivian if you decide not to get a Rivian? Just curious. While the trucks might be similar in size, they are very much apples and oranges when you start diving into what makes the Rivian stand out...and I am not saying that the Titan is close at all either...That is just my fallback if I were to actually have one.

OP
OP
Nuclearn8

Nuclearn8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 GX460, '05 Corolla
You didn't add in any maintenance costs for the ICE.... How come?
The ICE I'm considering is a Tacoma which has a proven track record of being rock solid reliable. It would only require oil changes above and beyond what a Rivian would also need too (like tires, brakes etc...).... I considered that a wash since the Rivian will likely need some sort of subscription service fee for something to connect to the cloud or or something like that, we don't know what we don't know...

OP
OP
Nuclearn8

Nuclearn8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 GX460, '05 Corolla
In my case, I am coming from a 2017 Nissan Titan Pro-4X completely optioned out that I sold back in May for downpayment money. IF for whatever reason, I decide(which won't happen) to not get the Rivian and go back to say the 2020 Nissan Titan Pro-4X, I would already be ahead after just 5 years in the Rivian based off gas alone. @Nuclearn8, do you actually consider going with a Tacoma vs a Rivian if you decide not to get a Rivian? Just curious. While the trucks might be similar in size, they are very much apples and oranges when you start diving into what makes the Rivian stand out...and I am not saying that the Titan is close at all either...That is just my fallback if I were to actually have one.
I'm in the market for a midsize pickup truck and the top of that list for me is the R1T and Tacoma... not really interested in any other, perhaps the Gladiator, due to resale alone (would sell or trade it after the factory warranty expires because I will never again be stuck with a jeep post warranty). the R1T is actually less convenient for me to own in terms of refueling when on road trips, which sucks since it's designed for adventuring and being on road trips....

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

The ICE I'm considering is a Tacoma which has a proven track record of being rock solid reliable. It would only require oil changes above and beyond what a Rivian would also need too (like tires, brakes etc...).... I considered that a wash since the Rivian will likely need some sort of subscription service fee for something to connect to the cloud or or something like that, we don't know what we don't know...
Unless you are extremely heavy on the brakes, you'll never need to replace them as the regenerative braking will do most of not all the work in stopping the truck. True on not knowing what we don't know in the subscription service but I feel like Rivian had to get really close to what Tesla offers to make it comparable enough of an offering.

I'm in the market for a midsize pickup truck and the top of that list for me is the R1T and Tacoma... not really interested in any other, perhaps the Gladiator, due to resale alone (would sell or trade it after the factory warranty expires because I will never again be stuck with a jeep post warranty). the R1T is actually less convenient for me to own in terms of refueling when on road trips, which sucks since it's designed for adventuring and being on road trips....
Not sure where in Texas you are at so take this for what it is. Please check out A Better Route Planner. They have the R1T & R1S in all battery configurations in order to see where you can go and how long it will take you. Unless you live near Fort Stockton or Wichita Falls, I think you'll be surprised.
Sponsored