Sponsored

EV versus ICE Cost of Ownership calculator

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
So I edited the suggested google sheet and did a quick comparison between a R1T and a Tacoma.... and it's not pretty, even making assumptions in the R1T's favor...

I need to seriously rethink the practicality of this purchase before committing to my pre-order.

I'm hoping someone can point out some errors in my comparison.... (jpg attached since excel cannot be attached)

Comparo.JPG
So I realize this comparison was done over a year ago, but we now know the base R1T starts at $67,500 ($60,000 after the federal rebate) not $85,000. And although they arguably share the same mid-size truck form factor, there are several other things that suggest the R1T base model is more capable and not a great comparison for the Tacoma (e.g., 754 hp v. 278 hp).

What you are really comparing above is the insane resale value of the Taco. If you were to use the real R1T base price and a closer resale factor for both vehicles, the R1T would probably cost less over 5 years. That's not to say the Taco resale value is not a thing. It is very much a real thing. But it seems weird to write-off all BEVs under 50k because a used Taco retains it value. If the Tacoma fits your needs, it would probably be a better financial decision, whereas others are willing to pay a premium to own a new electric vehicle with a separate capability and specs.

Last edited:

BBeach

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
interesting item to ponder... if you plan on driving 12,500 miles a year.... one could plant approximately 14 trees and the net impact on the environment from an CO2 emission standpoint would be zero.
If you plant 14/15 tress a year, technically you're doing more for the "climate crisis" than buying a Rivian alone... $1 plants 1 tree... https://www.nationalforests.org/get-involved/tree-planting-programs so you can still feel good about yourself from a sustainability standpoint, if you decide to go the ICE vehicle route.
This is something I have always wondered. Are we talking about just the fact EV is zero emission vs ICE car? Because how it should be thought of is how much carbon to produce the electricity vs the ICE and the production of the carbon to burn as fuel. Net it is still lower but if your electricity comes from a coal fired plant not as much as you think. Still burning natural gas for electricity is probably the cheapest way to go, but I am not positive that is the case. Even solar panels take huge carbon output to make.

discsinthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Element
interesting item to ponder... if you plan on driving 12,500 miles a year.... one could plant approximately 14 trees and the net impact on the environment from an CO2 emission standpoint would be zero.
If you plant 14/15 tress a year, technically you're doing more for the "climate crisis" than buying a Rivian alone... $1 plants 1 tree... https://www.nationalforests.org/get-involved/tree-planting-programs so you can still feel good about yourself from a sustainability standpoint, if you decide to go the ICE vehicle route.
I'm definitely digressing a bit here, but I think it's worth clarifying since there is at least a moderate interest between people on this forum and general environmental conservation. While certainly a good thing, it probably isn't completely accurate to view tree planting as a permanent sequestration of carbon and as a panacea for climate change. As always things are a bit more nuanced, this video presents some of the challenges of such an approach:
Sponsored