Sponsored

EV Effeciency and Carbon Footprint

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
https://qz.com/2154558/big-electric-trucks-and-suvs-are-the-new-gas-guzzlers/

Article on EV effeciency that basically sums up what we already knew, even the most inefficient EVs are better than their ICE equivalent. Author states the obvious that it is a step in the right direction (e.g. EV hummer vs ICE hummer) but the better environmental solutions is to get the most effecient EV (and get your power from clean sources).
Sponsored

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
The other criticism of studies like this is they only take the into account the operating emissions and efficiencies into account (disclosure: Iā€™m one of those who criticizes any study that only conpares vehicle operations) Mining battery minerals is a heavily carbon intensive process and when other studies try to account for that the winners arenā€™t as obviousā€¦.

OP
OP

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
The other criticism of studies like this is they only take the into account the operating emissions and efficiencies into account (disclosure: Iā€™m one of those who criticizes any study that only conpares vehicle operations) Mining battery minerals is a heavily carbon intensive process and when other studies try to account for that the winners arenā€™t as obviousā€¦.
Agreed.
The more holistic studies, that are actually peer reviewed and not a 'news' article, show that from a life cycle emissions standpoint you only get positive when you source your electricity from renewables (solar, hydro, etc).
I remember one from way back in the day that looked at the Prius and added up not only the cost of mining the battery material but the vast supply chain impacts of sending raw materials and sub components back and forth between continents before they finally made it to Japan for final assembly.

jbssfelix

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3; Rivian R1S
Clubs

https://qz.com/2154558/big-electric-trucks-and-suvs-are-the-new-gas-guzzlers/

Article on EV effeciency that basically sums up what we already knew, even the most inefficient EVs are better than their ICE equivalent. Author states the obvious that it is a step in the right direction (e.g. EV hummer vs ICE hummer) but the better environmental solutions is to get the most effecient EV (and get your power from clean sources).

I mean, the best environmental solution is ditch driving altogether as much as possible. But obviously, much of the US is not built to support such a car-free or car-lite lifestyle, so EVs are the next best things we as individuals can do.

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
The more holistic studies, that are actually peer reviewed and not a 'news' article, show that from a life cycle emissions standpoint you only get positive when you source your electricity from renewables (solar, hydro, etc).
EVs beat out ICE even in full lifecycle emission but cleaner sources of energy get them there sooner.

Have a look at
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=bt2
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2021/0...ower-life-cycle-emissions-new-study-confirms/
https://www.reuters.com/business/au...lectric-vehicles-vs-gasoline-cars-2021-06-29/

Also if folks are going to bring up the damage of mining, it's important to also take into account the damage from drilling and fracking including oil spills and the scale of mines vs the vast oil fields.

Finally it's important to remember EV batteries are up to 92% recyclable including 100% of the metals (and they are so valuable no one will be throwing them away)

Last edited:

Sponsored

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Much of mining is electrified. The problem is the source of electricity is often diesel generators. The environmental goal in mining is no different than fueling vehicles: Electrify and clean-up generation.

This process is best done in parallel. There is no benefit in doing it sequentially i.e. green energy first and then EV.

I doubt many people are buying Rivian as an ideal green choice. Rivian is unimpressively heavy and inefficient for an EV specific build. The Lightning is a lot more impressive, and it's not an EV optimized platform. I expect the Cybertruck to be close to Lightning.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I know I'm preaching to the choir -

Over the long term, it's *inevitable* that ICE vehicles go away. Whether it's due to pollution concerns or running out of fossil fuels, it's gonna happen. People can work for it or against it, but it's inevitable.

It's also inevitable due to natural progress, not unlike evolving from mechanical computers to tube computers to System On A Chip. "I wish my daily driver was a Model T" said no one ever in the past 80 years.

Why did cars gain favor? Pollution. There are many resources online that say horse crap was a huge problem in populated areas, and cars solved it. We are at the exact same point right now ICE vs. EV, and it takes time and baby steps to get to where we inevitably will go.

So I have no illusions that buying a Rivian is going to save the world. It's not. But I am helping the world by contributing to the baby steps today, long term vehicle evolution and installing a 15kw solar panel system to offset dino electricity. And I'm getting one kick ass vehicle. What's not to like?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Finally it's important to remember EV batteries are up to 92% recyclable including 100% of the metals (and they are so valuable no one will be throwing them away)
I'd like to see a study done that figures out when we can basically stop mining for the metals involved because we are able to just keep recycling them in perpetuity.

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
The Lightning is a lot more impressive, and it's not an EV optimized platform
How so? Look eerily similar to me, mileage, weight, battery options, etc.

Last edited:

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

Every time one of these threads pop up I drop in this link:

It is the best, accessible to anyone, discussion on the topic I have found. If you are willing to read the sources and academic papers, you can do better, but this is a really good overview of cradle to grave emissions impact

Sponsored

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
Last edited:

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
R1T is a mid size pickup. Lightning is a full size pickup. While the photo above exaggerates the size differences, the pictures that show the Rivian in the foreground and about the same size as an F150 are also inaccurate.

My point is that the Lighting is a size class up from the R1T and has a larger front cross section. Yet the Lightning is lighter and has about the same MPGe as the R1T.

Rivian as a new EV design is heavy for its size. This not only means higher operating costs for owner, but less profitability for Rivian. Hopefully much of what seems to be extra weight was necessary due to suspension and therefor driven by owner benefit

messinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Tech bro
Aways an interesting discussion. One reason that really pushes me to go electric here in Seattle is that our grid is almost entirely renewable (90%+). Going skiing (which requires cold weather) and actively heating the environment via ICEs is pretty counerproductive.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Aways an interesting discussion. One reason that really pushes me to go electric here in Seattle is that our grid is almost entirely renewable (90%+). Going skiing (which requires cold weather) and actively heating the environment via ICEs is pretty counerproductive.
Hopefully in the next 10 years most of the US will be too.
Sponsored