timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I don't see Tesla changing charging standards until they no longer account for the majority of EV sales in North America. In Europe and China they switched to common standards due to the proliferation of other brands and models. That hasn't happened yet in the US but eventually will.
Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I don't see Tesla changing charging standards until they no longer account for the majority of EV sales in North America. In Europe and China they switched to common standards due to the proliferation of other brands and models. That hasn't happened yet in the US but eventually will.
In Europe they only changed because of legal requirements in the EU.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
In Europe they only changed because of legal requirements in the EU.
There should be 1 standard for EV charging (J1772/CCS) and 1 standard for consumer personal electronic devices (USB-C), imo.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
There should be 1 standard for EV charging (J1772/CCS) and 1 standard for consumer personal electronic devices (USB-C), imo.
Iā€™m so happy that I have free lifetime supercharging from Tesla. They are the leader for a reason. When everybody else was mocking them, they just kept on building out the system. As a bonus I can roll up, and charge anywhere else too. Itā€™s an amazing advantage.

but in the end, we ad a nation need to sort of standard reliable system. What will that be. Who knows.

the free enterprise system will figure it out. VHS vs Betamax. Etc.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
We have, in the USA, an entity that knows how to build a successful charging system as demonstrated by the fact that they have done it. If the government really wanted a working charging system for the US all they have to do is give a sole source contract to Tesla to build it. This, of course, isn't going to happen.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Iā€™m so happy that I have free lifetime supercharging from Tesla. They are the leader for a reason. When everybody else was mocking them, they just kept on building out the system. As a bonus I can roll up, and charge anywhere else too. Itā€™s an amazing advantage.

but in the end, we ad a nation need to sort of standard reliable system. What will that be. Who knows.

the free enterprise system will figure it out. VHS vs Betamax. Etc.
The days of Tesla having the best charging network are numbered. It wonā€™t be too long before CCS surpasses them.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Hahahahahahhaah
Have to go well out of my way to find a supercharger, and have yet to have an issue with an EA station that wasn't due to vandalism. It's not as big of a difference as it seems in a lot of regions.

Sponsored

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Have to go well out of my way to find a supercharger, and have yet to have an issue with an EA station that wasn't due to vandalism. It's not as big of a difference as it seems in a lot of regions.
I understand. Even the mighty Tesla SC network is not perfect. Just way better than any other.
ā€˜ā€™itā€™s a strange Situation we have right Now. So many people wanting a EV truck and all hoping they can find a charging station.
in the futureā€¦maybe 10-15 years we wonā€™t have to worry. But until then itā€™s a fiasco.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Occupation
health care
I understand. Even the mighty Tesla SC network is not perfect. Just way better than any other.
ā€˜ā€™itā€™s a strange Situation we have right Now. So many people wanting a EV truck and all hoping they can find a charging station.
in the futureā€¦maybe 10-15 years we wonā€™t have to worry. But until then itā€™s a fiasco.
Laughable statement
As of today there are zero Superchergers functioning in the UP of Michigan. There is one functioning ccs dcfc in the same region. Get off your horse.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Laughable statement
As of today there are zero Superchergers functioning in the UP of Michigan. There is one functioning ccs dcfc in the same region. Get off your horse.
I don't think it's a horse they're riding... More like a giant Rooster... Property of E.Musk.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Laughable statement
Can you be more specific? I am posting this 18 minutes after your post and all the SC on the UP are reporting fully functional.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
When I go into the posted comments on PlugShare I see things like "An EA charger that started on the first try. That's a rare thing...." (Seattle area) and the common "Only terminal __ was functioning", "Card reader didn't work, had to call" , "350 kW chargers not functional - 150 kW OK" and the ubiquitous "CHAdeMO doesn't work". No one has ever mentioned vandalism that I have seen.

I have been to one SC where one of the cabinets was down taking down 2 terminals with it and I have been to one where the terminals were arranged for pull-through and one of them had been hit by a vehicle and knocked over.

In any case I am concerned about my coming transition to the CCS network. I was encouraged by a conversation I had with a gentleman charging his Bolt who confirmed that while the CCS net may be squirrely it is usually possible to get a charge out of it. He had never been left high and dry.
Sponsored