Sponsored

EV charger installation in the Kirkland WA area?

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited, 2012 Honda CR-V
I know this isn't any help at all, but I spent 5 hours and 4 depot runs to install it myself.
If you are handy, it isn't that bad assuming you have panel space.
Do you need to get a permit if you install it by yourself? I saw some YouTube videos about installation but no one talks about getting permit.
Sponsored

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Do you need to get a permit if you install it by yourself? I saw some YouTube videos about installation but no one talks about getting permit.
Depends on your city, but most likely yes. However, most homeowners that do their own work likely don't pull permits.

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Basically you file a form with your installer that allows you to not pay tax on the installation (services only I think).
Welp, too late for that. I already had it installed. Was hoping PSE might offer a credit as some sort of EV incentive.

Defiance

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T FG, OR Wheels, xpel full fusion wrap
Occupation
Tech
Is that the company that partners with Rivian? Did they then refer you to In House Electrical?

GR
QMerit partners with Rivian, yes. They contract out the work and in my case recommended a couple companies. I had two respond and ultimately went with In House.

Sponsored

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Tell me more about this WA state credit. Is this a tax credit on the installation?
EV chargers and the labor to install those chargers are both exempt from WA sales tax, since 2019.

In practice, you're going to have to pay the tax on the charger to Rivian, or whoever sold you the charger, because they will know nothing about this exemption. Then you can file with the DOR for a refund of the tax you paid. Use DOR Form 41 0122. I've done this and got the refund in only a few weeks.

For the labor, I would expect the electrician to know about this and not charge you the tax on the installation. If they don't know this, they probably don't install too many chargers. You can use the same form to get a refund of the tax on the labor, if necessary.

PSE no longer has a credit for EV charger installs.

I believe the new Infrastructure act also gives a 30% federal tax credit for the purchase of EV chargers, but I haven't looked into the details of that yet.

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Given the push for wide spread EV adoption in WA I’m disappointed the state has done little to incentivize chargers (both at home and public). The weak link in EV infrastructure.

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

EV chargers and the labor to install those chargers are both exempt from WA sales tax, since 2019.

In practice, you're going to have to pay the tax on the charger to Rivian, or whoever sold you the charger, because they will know nothing about this exemption. Then you can file with the DOR for a refund of the tax you paid. Use DOR Form 41 0122. I've done this and got the refund in only a few weeks
I looked up DOR Form 41 0122 and it applies to new/used EV sales tax. It doesn't mention charger tax. Is that a separate form?

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
It's considered "infrastructure". It's a very poorly worded form and the RCW behind it is also poorly worded. I had to consult with DOR to make sure home chargers and home installation was covered, and as I said I've actually submitted that form and gotten a check back.

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
QMerit partners with Rivian, yes. They contract out the work and in my case recommended a couple companies. I had two respond and ultimately went with In House.

In practice, you're going to have to pay the tax on the charger to Rivian, or whoever sold you the charger, because they will know nothing about this exemption. Then you can file with the DOR for a refund of the tax you paid. Use DOR Form 41 0122. I've done this and got the refund in only a few weeks.

For the labor, I would expect the electrician to know about this and not charge you the tax on the installation. If they don't know this, they probably don't install too many chargers. You can use the same form to get a refund of the tax on the labor, if necessary.

I believe the new Infrastructure act also gives a 30% federal tax credit for the purchase of EV chargers, but I haven't looked into the details of that yet.
Thanks. Your info are very helpful!

GR

Sponsored

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda

Do you happen to know if the tax exemption applies to mobile EVSE/adapters (ie: Tesla Tap)? Plus, is there a limit on how much the exemption can be claimed?

GR

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
In my opinion, no - adapters are not tax exempt. Perhaps if the adapter were bundled with your wall charger as part of a package, but purchased separately I would say it doesn't count. You can always call DOR to confirm. They also have a process where you can request a "ruling" - present your case and they will decide it one way or another and use that as precedent for others.

Redmond Chad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (LG, FE, 20"), Tesla Model X
Clubs

Agreed - they've been doing it longer than anyone. They sometimes get pretty slammed, though. Frankly it's not a tough job, and any electrician should be able to do a fine job.

Depends on your city, but most likely yes. However, most homeowners that do their own work likely don't pull permits.
True. And there is rarely an issue. But...if there ever is a fire related to the charger, they may find that their insurance won't cover it. And when they sell their house, an inspector may notice and it may have to be taken care of before the sale.

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
In my opinion, no - adapters are not tax exempt. Perhaps if the adapter were bundled with your wall charger as part of a package, but purchased separately I would say it doesn't count. You can always call DOR to confirm. They also have a process where you can request a "ruling" - present your case and they will decide it one way or another and use that as precedent for others.
Thanks. I will look into it.

GR
Sponsored