First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Ford Explorer Limited 4x4
Occupation
Computer Forensic Examiner
I know what the website says “deliveries begin Jan 2022”, but that doesn’t mean anything, other than I will get mine after that if I order today. I’m a very early Bronco reservation holder and expect mine early summer. But I’m really having second, third, fourth thoughts all the time about cancelling and ordering a blue Rivian truck. It will be a 12k difference in price, so not a big deal. The big deal is that Bronco looks like so much fun and the Rivian truck is revolutionary. I’m 50/50 right now and know I will either cancel, or just drive the Bronco for a year or two and eventually go electric truck with someone (probably Rivian).
Sponsored

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
My best guess is that if you ordered a Rivian tomorrow you’re looking at a minimum of one year before taking delivery on it - and likely quite a bit longer.

Reactions: Rad

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

I placed a second pre-order a few days ago. I have a Launch Edition R1T that will be here before the end of the year. I fully expect my second one won't be ready until summer 2022 at the earliest. That one will probably be the R1S with the max battery. My thought is that I may sell my R1T LE when the R1S max pack is ready.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
My best guess is that if you ordered a Rivian tomorrow you’re looking at a minimum of one year before taking delivery on it - and likely quite a bit longer.
The good news is if you have 1k laying around you can get inline. It is fully refundable and holds a place while you decide.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Truth is: no one knows.

We don't know how many reservations Rivian has. We also don't know what order Rivian will be fulfilling orders. They've already confirmed that they will be using geographic location of delivery as a factor when producing vehicles. It makes sense, logistically, to transport groups of vehicles to the same region, rather than random directions. So your reservation may be moved up or back, depending on how many other reservations are in your area. We also don't know how many reservations will convert into bona fide orders. Will 90% convert? 80%? 60%? 20%? 5%? Obviously, that can dramatically affect your wait. We also don't know how many vehicles Rivian will produce, each month. Most likely it'll ramp up and increase, over time, but without specifics, it's nearly impossible to generate any meaningful forecast.

Sponsored

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
I’m also considering Rivian vs other options. I plan to wait until September for a test drive. If I can get a test drive by September, it is a good sign that I will have a truck sooner than later. No test drive and I will probably switch to the F150 hybrid. As long as Rivian stays in business the deposit is refundable. I keep vehicles for 10+ years. If you are only keeping cars for 2 years, getting the Bronco now ... there will be a lot of great options when you are ready for a trade-in.

Reactions: Rad

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
I agree with most posts in this thread. I am likely to buy my Launch Edition R1T contingent on some key milestones including full feature list, test drive, and possibly financing.

I am in a position that I need a vehicle by next winter capable of navigating Wisconsin weather. I don't really want to buy another ICE vehicle and those are pushing me toward the LE I have reserved.

By far and away the SMART move for me is to buy/lease a bridge ICE vehicle or Tesla and wait for production to stabilize and features to improve and buy a Rivian in about three years when DCFC infrastructure will have changed significantly.

So why I am NOT doing the smart thing?
  • I like being an early adopter, I want to be the first on the block with a BEV truck, and here in WI that will likely be for a long time...
    • I imagine the next BEV truck I see in my neighborhood will be a cybertruck.
  • I like Rivian's ethos and mission. I know its marketing but its working on me.
  • I am factoring the $7500 credit to ameliorate my financial concerns.
    • If Rivian offered an attractive 3 year lease (which I dont think they will) I would do it in a heartbeat.
  • Assuming good quality (big assumption) I think that the 2021 R1T is a good value.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oneand0

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I placed a second pre-order a few days ago. I have a Launch Edition R1T that will be here before the end of the year. I fully expect my second one won't be ready until summer 2022 at the earliest. That one will probably be the R1S with the max battery. My thought is that I may sell my R1T LE when the R1S max pack is ready.
[/QUOTE

Summer 2022, that should be around the time I will have been driving my new Bronco for several months to a year. Please message me if you don’t have a buyer in place if that day comes. One thing we do know is there is more demand for both of these vehicles, than what will be in stock for a year and probably two.

OP
OP
Oneand0

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
After reading everyone’s reply I should wait and just enjoy my Bronco, since I was born in 66 and probably destined to own one having same birth year. Then test drive a Rivian truck when it’s available and place an order at that point. :) Thanks for all the input.

huskylord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subie
I guess if there is no planned Toronto Rivian showroom on the horizon, Ontario Canada orders are going to be way back of the line.

Sponsored

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I guess if there is no planned Toronto Rivian showroom on the horizon, Ontario Canada orders are going to be way back of the line.
I suspect proximity to a Cox fleet servicing center might be more important than proximity to a showroom. But yeah, about a year sounds right. I'll probably see mine in the fall. More than a year and a half for me.

downranger12

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Nissan Frontier Pro 4x, 2018 Toyota Prius
Occupation
retired optometrist
I think that's a good idea and I thought of it too. An R1T in great condition should be easy to sell. What I am going to order is an extra set of tires with my truck. They will be special, expensive and unobtainable from any other source most likely.

Snakelipdog

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Tech
I thought LUNCH EDITIONS were done! That there were no more!
I preordered an R1S Adventure, which I expect to see Jan22. I'm planning to change my preorder to the 400 range battery pack. So I will expect not to see R1S Adventure around Summer 2022!

Lisa & Bob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20217 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
theoldbaileyplace.com, Escalante, Utah.
Clubs

I know what the website says “deliveries begin Jan 2022”, but that doesn’t mean anything, other than I will get mine after that if I order today. I’m a very early Bronco reservation holder and expect mine early summer. But I’m really having second, third, fourth thoughts all the time about cancelling and ordering a blue Rivian truck. It will be a 12k difference in price, so not a big deal. The big deal is that Bronco looks like so much fun and the Rivian truck is revolutionary. I’m 50/50 right now and know I will either cancel, or just drive the Bronco for a year or two and eventually go electric truck with someone (probably Rivian).

Lisa & Bob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20217 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
theoldbaileyplace.com, Escalante, Utah.
Clubs

I have a 1995 Bronco that is for sale :)
Sponsored