Clubs

As usual, that was a great video.

Sponsored

whyasky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Interesting counterpoints to those (like @OutofSpecKyle) who are convinced locking differentials are superior.
Based on the video, Rivian could simply program in locked diff setting.

Speaking of which, how about a custom drive mode? There is so much you could do with that kind of flexibility. I'm not sure it's needed beyond the modes available, but who wouldn't love to tinker with all these settings!

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Need to get started on starting that Utube channel in order to get Truck faster....
I've already got one. About 20 subscribers. I should have mine tomorrow, right?

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Almost, u also need Magna sponsorship.....and done.
Ya know, GM is one of my customers. Maybe I can get them to sell me a SilveradoEV within my lifetime. :CWL:

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
He makes great videos and he definitely found his niche in the world.

My three favorite aspects of the R1T pickup include the sophisticated independent air suspension, four independent electric motors and the beautiful interior.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Based on the video, Rivian could simply program in locked diff setting.
I don't know if Rivian is maxing out the inverter, but the issue with the way it is now, if you have one tire slipping,that power is totally lost, you can't transfer it to another wheel. Locking diffs allow the tire that still has traction to take all of the power from the slipping tire.

whyasky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
That's a good point given the current hardware doesn't allow power transfer from one wheel to another. You're right that increasing torque to the wheel with traction should already be happening.

There was a great comparison video a few weeks back with a Nissan frontier, which seemed to perform better in certain situations off-road. I wonder if this is just a driving the R1 issue where mashing the accelerator more is needed to get that torque into the wheel with traction, but is counterintuitive to regular off-road driving. I don't have mine yet, but so looking forward to testing it out!

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Interesting counterpoints to those (like @OutofSpecKyle) who are convinced locking differentials are superior.
He nails every single important point about their system, even calling out “shortcomings” when in fact those are artificial since you’re pretty traction limited in the first place, per-tire.

Great video from him as always. Love this guy’s work.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
I don't know if Rivian is maxing out the inverter, but the issue with the way it is now, if you have one tire slipping,that power is totally lost, you can't transfer it to another wheel. Locking diffs allow the tire that still has traction to take all of the power from the slipping tire.
Each motor is rated at > 1/4 total system power, according to someone else here in the forums, meaning total theoretical output of the motors (not including supporting electronics and cabling) is greater than 4x a single motor. So theoretically each motor could put out >1/4 power to a single wheel, then dial it back to system maximum (which, as you point out, is likely limited by the inverter).

As he points out in the video, of course. you can’t redirect power from one motor to another wheel, but in the vast majority of cases, the available wheel torque from a single motor will overwhelm the traction available to that wheel anyway, so there’s no practical benefit from additional power to that single wheel. (though I have jet lag and could be missing your point)
Sponsored