First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
What typically happens with EA chargers, the ABB ones in particular, is that the cable chillers fail. When that happens you can expect to get 30-35KW. I have had it happen with both my Bolt and my Mach E on some ABB chargers in the Phoenix area. When the chillers are running the chargers are very loud, when they are not running they are much more quiet.

So far, with Signet units, I have never had this happen.

Emme was using ABB units and the chillers were not running.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
What typically happens with EA chargers, the ABB ones in particular, is that the cable chillers fail. When that happens you can expect to get 30-35KW. I have had it happen with both my Bolt and my Mach E on some ABB chargers in the Phoenix area. When the chillers are running the chargers are very loud, when they are not running they are much more quiet.

Ohhh interesting. That also may explain why i haven't run into this personally other than once on an old charger.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
This just goes to show that EV charging is very much in its infancy.

which is wild for me since I’ve been plugging cars in forever ?
And it just goes to show you why Tesla spent years building the best charging network period. If Crazy Elon allows Rivians to charge at Tesla Super Chargers, it’s game on for Rivian buyers.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
And it just goes to show you why Tesla spent years building the best charging network period. If Crazy Elon allows Rivians to charge at Tesla Super Chargers, it’s game on for Rivian buyers.
Proprietary != best

if Tesla changes all its connectors to SAE/CCS then maybe it might be worthwhile.

SCSEV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Porsche Taycan 4S, ‘21 Audi E-tron

Now that you say that, the chargers were definitely a lot quieter when I was getting 39 kWs. I even said something to my wife. Interesting.

Sponsored

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some

This was my experience with a road trip in my e-tron as well. I started to get really good at hearing the difference in sound during initialization of a unit with working cooling and without. If I couldn't hear the cooling start, I would just immediately move to the next charger over.

One "good" thing I noticed was that it seemed to be the stations that were less used that seemed to have the most problems. The further down the west coast I got (out of WA and into CA) the better luck I had. I was thinking maybe the coolant pumps might not like to sit for long periods without use. This could perhaps be a problem that fixes itself with time. (Or they can just fix the design I guess ?).

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
Proprietary != best

if Tesla changes all its connectors to SAE/CCS then maybe it might be worthwhile.
Having used both, beg to differ. Cables are easier to use, smaller, simply slide in like buttah. It's as easy as buying an app off the app store, back up, tap button on cable and charge port opens, plug in, done.

The CCS chargers are gigantic, clunky, and you have to futz with them to get them to seat. I still do not understand how Tesla could make the DC/AC connector universal and the 'standard' cable had to add that giant ass connector. Then there's the whole EA implementation which requires the 'right' dance of button presses and app openings and swipes and hope you have signal on your phone things.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Same here. It's not often I get use EA chargers (in FL), but there have been occasions where the charge rate was definitely lower than projected.
Sponsored