Emme Hall has an R1T and problems with Electrify America

nukem384

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/Rivian R1S
Rivian needs to buy EA with their gone-public pocket change and fix its shite and rebadge it.
Considering that EA is basically the biggest DC fast charging network, that would probably make sense so they can maintain it properly along with building the RAN for remote locations. Combined, that would give Rivian at least a decent sized network to try and compete with Tesla.
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
swore EA had done an update that would display what the vehicle was requesting as well as the delivered rate. These chargers don't seem to have that feature
They did. It lies. I'm obviously somewhat forgiving of EA usually, but their reporting is flat out wrong frequently. I know it's said my ID.4 was requesting less than it was at a station that was giving me less power than it should, and I've seen the same w others. Their app and email session summaries also don't (unless they recently fixed it) report the correct top speed. They will say 177 kW for an ID.4 on a 150 kW charger for example. the ID.4 is limited to 125 kW currently.

It looks like that station had a power bank issues since all of the an issue from her Twitter posts. Definite need for a hardware fix there. That is something I've seen personally and on a couple of videos online. Very frussrating, but at least they still give you something. They do seem to repair those. For example, charger it happened to me at is being replaced.

Some competition from EVGO and others will be good. And as more manufacturers have deals with EA, I'm sure the manufacturers are going to lean very heavily on them.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Considering that EA is basically the biggest DC fast charging network, that would probably make sense so they can maintain it properly along with building the RAN for remote locations. Combined, that would give Rivian at least a decent sized network to try and compete with Tesla.
Nah. Let EA stay part of VW and have deals w several manufacturers (like they do). Theyll continue to get better. They are. Tbh, I suspect a lot of it is having an early mix of different charging hardware. EVGO is building out to support GM and others, plus a bunch of smaller providers. Keep RAN a closed network so Rivian only has to manage QOS with Rivian. Which, as someone pointed out is part of the difficulty EA faces. Each manufacturer has to implement CCs and for some reason it's not totally consistent. The Volvo and Polestar cars couldn't even charge at one of the three charger brands EA has until recently (I think...). They generally have installed brands (ie signet) regionally so buying an XC40 recharge where EA has a bunch of that specific brand of chargers really sucked until Volvo fixed it post release.

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
Tesla vehicles will have issues with supercharging in extreme temperatures if you don't tell the car you are headed to a supercharger. The battery has to be in the right temperature range, same as every other EV.
Yeah, and this is also part of their integration. Without knowing the full extent, I am sure when a Tesla is navigating to a certain SC station, on top of the car doing the pre-conditioning, the station is also doing a pre-authorization for that car, and will evaluate the battery condition as well as the cars charging capabilities. So as soon as the car is plugged in not only will the charging start, but also provide the best capable charge rate.

Sponsored

nukem384

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/Rivian R1S
Nah. Let EA stay part of VW and have deals w several manufacturers (like they do). Theyll continue to get better. They are. Tbh, I suspect a lot of it is having an early mix of different charging hardware. EVGO is building out to support GM and others, plus a bunch of smaller providers. Keep RAN a closed network so Rivian only has to manage QOS with Rivian. Which, as someone pointed out is part of the difficulty EA faces. Each manufacturer has to implement CCs and for some reason it's not totally consistent. The Volvo and Polestar cars couldn't even charge at one of the three charger brands EA has until recently (I think...). They generally have installed brands (ie signet) regionally so buying an XC40 recharge where EA has a bunch of that specific brand of chargers really sucked until Volvo fixed it post release.
It is encouraging that EA announced they were expanding the network back in June? So hopefully along with that, they use some of that money to maintenance the existing network.

The RAN will be nice in a couple years. I just hope there are enough chargers (at least in California for me haha) to make the trip from Norcal to Socal pretty easy. The vertical integration like Tesla will be nice so you don't have to worry about the chargers not working.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
It is encouraging that EA announced they were expanding the network back in June? So hopefully along with that, they use some of that money to maintenance the existing network.

The RAN will be nice in a couple years. I just hope there are enough chargers (at least in California for me haha) to make the trip from Norcal to Socal pretty easy. The vertical integration like Tesla will be nice so you don't have to worry about the chargers not working.
I don't think it's discouraging, they have holes that need covered and there is definitely going to be congestion at chargers. I don't think they're cash limited. They are working through how to maintain their network, and to maintain a QOS. A lot of the issues are on them obviously, but I think a good number of them are on the manufacturers too. For example Volvo/Polestar earlier this year.
https://www.xc40forum.com/threads/electrify-america-issues.2674/

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

I've been lurking around the Mustang Mach-E forums, and this seems to be a consistent problem with the Ford's as well. Typically, the Ford users are able to fix this by moving to a different stall at the same station.

It is a pretty ridiculous problem to have it keep happening.

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
I wonder what the various Rivian folks are finding as they use EA chargers across the country?? Seems there are a few photos/videos online showing them using EA chargers. Are they having the same problems??

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I wonder what the various Rivian folks are finding as they use EA chargers across the country?? Seems there are a few photos/videos online showing them using EA chargers. Are they having the same problems??
Yeah they've clearly tested things with EA. Just bad luck. I would be curious to see what their success rate is though.

Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
They are probably finding new swear words, having exhausted all known ones.

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
To give folks, especially new EV drivers, a good idea of how fast charging works, Tom Moloughney did a nice video of an ID.4 charging session from 0%-100%. Just as "max range" for traveling can be misleading, rate of fast charging rates/times can also. You don't get the full charge rate throughout a charging session. The charging software is set to protect the battery and will vary the charge rate during a session. This video demonstrates that very well.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
More slow charging...

Was in Hesperia, CA charging at the EA and saw two Rivian R1T’s charging. The station was charging pretty slow for me and super slow for them. I really like the wraps they are using more than the normal paints. These should be an option from the factory.

Rivian R1T R1S Emme Hall has an R1T and problems with Electrify America FB_IMG_1631403716170

Rivian R1T R1S Emme Hall has an R1T and problems with Electrify America FB_IMG_1631403713372

Rivian R1T R1S Emme Hall has an R1T and problems with Electrify America FB_IMG_1631403709255

Rivian R1T R1S Emme Hall has an R1T and problems with Electrify America FB_IMG_1631403707053

Rivian R1T R1S Emme Hall has an R1T and problems with Electrify America FB_IMG_1631403704730

Rivian R1T R1S Emme Hall has an R1T and problems with Electrify America FB_IMG_1631403699029

Rivian R1T R1S Emme Hall has an R1T and problems with Electrify America FB_IMG_1631403701404

Rivian R1T R1S Emme Hall has an R1T and problems with Electrify America FB_IMG_1631403696753

Rivian R1T R1S Emme Hall has an R1T and problems with Electrify America FB_IMG_1631403694629

Rivian R1T R1S Emme Hall has an R1T and problems with Electrify America FB_IMG_1631403692062

Rivian R1T R1S Emme Hall has an R1T and problems with Electrify America FB_IMG_1631403689262

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Here's another good video by Tom Moloughgney showing the charging of a Tesla M3 on a Supercharger.
Sponsored