Emme Hall has an R1T and problems with Electrify America

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Pretty cool that she has one again. A review truck I assume?

But don’t let anyone try to tell you Electrify America has solved its problems… Sigh.

Link to her Twitter
Rivian needs to get a move on with the RAN network. So many seem to have horror stories with EA. ?

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I know her frustrations 1000% but also her delivery is a bit much LOL. Granted I know that's how she is ?.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
This just goes to show that EV charging is very much in its infancy.

which is wild for me since I’ve been plugging cars in forever ?

Sponsored

twinprice

First Name
Winston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon XL Denali, Tesla Model Y, and LE RS1 - Hopefully!
Clubs

Pretty cool that she has one again. A review truck I assume?

But don’t let anyone try to tell you Electrify America has solved its problems… Sigh.

Link to her Twitter
She did say in her comments that it is a “ready for prime time rig”. So cool they are driving an R1T again!

Lobstahz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Tesla Model 3, Audi A4
Well thats positively disappointing. I had seen press that they were aware and addressing things (https://insideevs.com/news/389891/exclusive-interview-electrify-america-problems-solutions/) and this is but 1 datapoint for me with EA's issues. But it took a fair amount to make the wife comfortable with the Tesla SC network and situations like this erode confidence extraordinarily quickly.

I'm fully aware Tesla's SC network and EA's are different, but fundamentally getting over the 'worry about charging' mental hurdle is the same. With the size of the Rivian's battery, slow charging like this (36kWh) is a LOT more painful than when I had to split chargers on early Tesla SCs and had ~20-30kWh then, into a 75kWh battery. Please Rivian deploy the RAN quickly!

BWillR1T

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander, Audi Q7
Occupation
Construction Executive
Clubs

Yup, I don’t think I will be showing my wife this thread if I plan on getting my R1T.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
?

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
It seems every new vehicle to the EA network hits these walls early. Early Ford and Taycan videos come to mind. As for speed, is it software not knowing the full capability of the vehicle and simply playing it super safe?
That seems like an OTA to the EA network should resolve that? Or Rivian switching something in info the vehicle sends to the EA charger?
As for the other EA stuff around chargers just not working smoothly, EA needs to get on that for everyone’s sake.

Sponsored

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
This could be an issue kris and Bjorn identified earlier on with a lot of the CCS chargers in Europe. The charge heads for these CCS chargers are very heavy and couple it with a heavy and taught cable, they don't make a firm connection, so you sometimes have to hold the charger against the port firmly until the communication is completed, for charging to initiate.

Maybe this could be one of the primary issues with these EA chargers ??

I have never charged an EV so far or used these EA chargers, so I am only making an assumption based on Bjorn and Kris Rifa's videos.

EDIT: I guess the next review will be coming from CNET ?

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
As frustrating as this looks, and definitely a concern for any one owning a non Tesla, I think the issue is with the CCS standard itself. Because it's an open standard, making universal adaptability will come with challenges, and every vehicle manufacturer will have to tweak their communication protocols and charging information handshake to better work with these chargers.

So Rivian may have to work with EA and any other service provider to make sure they initiate the proper handshake and the two understand the full capabilities of the host (charger) and recipient (EV) before charging initiates. I mean Rivian could be sending information with a decimal or character missing or EA could be interpreting something from Rivian incorrectly and vice versa.

Similar to connecting a gigabit ethernet port from a pc to a gigabit switch. If you set both ports to Auto, it should negotiate to gigabit speeds automatically, but sometimes they fail and you have to force it or update the firmware.

This is the biggest advantage to Tesla SC, the integration is tightly controlled by Tesla.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I swore EA had done an update that would display what the vehicle was requesting as well as the delivered rate. These chargers don't seem to have that feature.

And just because the charger says it can deliver 350kW doesn't mean your vehicle is going to ask for that speed. I've never had an issue with an EA charger with my Bolt, but my experience with them is it's definitely the car requesting slow speeds when it's been below the maximum rate the car can normally support. Of course the Bolt maxes out at 55 kW, so that's not really very high.

I'm wondering if there's a precondition step Rivian gives you that she skipped or didn't use? If the battery is super hot it will drastically reduce the amount of power during charges.

This is the biggest advantage to Tesla SC, the integration is tightly controlled by Tesla.
Tesla vehicles will have issues with supercharging in extreme temperatures if you don't tell the car you are headed to a supercharger. The battery has to be in the right temperature range, same as every other EV.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
It seems every new vehicle to the EA network hits these walls early. Early Ford and Taycan videos come to mind. As for speed, is it software not knowing the full capability of the vehicle and simply playing it super safe?
That seems like an OTA to the EA network should resolve that? Or Rivian switching something in info the vehicle sends to the EA charger?
As for the other EA stuff around chargers just not working smoothly, EA needs to get on that for everyone’s sake.
Actually she said that all chargers did the same thing, and an ID4 has the same issue. She called EA and they told her that they were aware of it, but it would take some time to fix.

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
Actually she said that all chargers did the same thing, and an ID4 has the same issue. She called EA and they told her that they were aware of it, but it would take some time to fix.
Ah, missed that. Thanks for the info.
Sponsored